Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Patent Filing Suggests Ford Pickups Could Get Rear Window Screens

By Brett Foote

September 6, 2022 10:13 am

Ford Maverick PATENT FILING SUGGESTS FORD PICK UPS COULD GET REAR WINDOW SCREENS et-Australian-Model-Exterior-007-WildTrak-1024x683

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company has filed a patent for a summer venting window that could be utilized as a rear window screen on pickups, Ford Authority has learned.

The patent was filed on August 14th, 2020, published on September 6th, 2022, and assigned serial number 11433744.

Ford Maverick PATENT FILING SUGGESTS FORD PICK UPS COULD GET REAR WINDOW SCREENS Ford-Patent-Summer-Venting-Window-001-720x847

The Ford Authority Take
Ford has filed a large number of pickup-related patents in recent months, including one for a modular storage system, a bed to cab pass through system, a multi-panel bed, a pivotable sill assembly, a new type of cargo management system, and a magnetic bed, to name just a few. The automaker has also been hard at working coming up with ideas that aim to revolutionize automotive glass, filing a patent for an enhanced anti-fogging window system, a window based keyless entry system, a vehicular switchable glass system, and a heated side window system. Now, this new Ford patent combines these two different areas into one idea, this time for a “summer venting window,” or a rear window screen in more layman’s terms.

Ford Maverick PATENT FILING SUGGESTS FORD PICK UPS COULD GET REAR WINDOW SCREENS Ford-Patent-Summer-Venting-Window-002-720x640

This Ford patent is pretty much what one might expect from that description – a rear window assembly that utilizes a built-in screen and a motor/controller that moves the screen over the back window as desired. In this case, the screen isn’t being used to block out the sun, per say, but more to keep things like insects and other foreign objects out of the cab when one is driving along or parked with the rear window open.

Ford Maverick PATENT FILING SUGGESTS FORD PICK UPS COULD GET REAR WINDOW SCREENS Ford-Patent-Summer-Venting-Window-003-677x1024

The patent points out that such a feature could be particularly useful when someone is camping, as they could leave the small rear window open and get some fresh air while also keeping pests out. It’s a simple yet interesting idea, and one that seems like it would be rather easy to add to future pickups, providing another appealing feature for those that like to spend time in the woods in their vehicles.

We’ll have more on this and all Ford patents soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford trademark news, Ford business news, and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Sponsored
Sponsored

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
A couple of things;

Making trucks easier to live in. Makes sense considering top end units sell for more than I paid for my first home.

Also, has anybody else noticed how so many are trying to make living out of your car seem cool? Back in my day, that was called being homeless. These days folks will live out of their vehicle and call themselves bloggers 🤷‍♂️

On a more serious note, I really don't see the use in the feature but I also have never slept in one of my trucks. What are they going to do next, patent screens for the side windows as well? Seems those in need of screening could easily DIY this feature.. or idk, buy a tent?

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A couple of things;

Making trucks easier to live in. Makes sense considering top end units sell for more than I paid for my first home.

Also, has anybody else noticed how so many are trying to make living out of your car seem cool? Back in my day, that was called being homeless. These days folks will live out of their vehicle and call themselves bloggers 🤷‍♂️

On a more serious note, I really don't see the use in the feature but I also have never slept in one of my trucks. What are they going to do next, patent screens for the side windows as well? Seems those in need of screening could easily DIY this feature.. or idk, buy a tent?
It's all about the money.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

LOVE my automatic rear window but since I only use it when driving, the air is always headed out......this doesn't offer any great benefits. Maybe someone else would like it?

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I kept my Prius just for car camping a teardrop with central A/C. They sale window sock like screens. Does help with fresh oxygen but does nothing for cooling or heating.
Left windows open during a colder morning ( 40s in Texas ) and screens insulation factors helped with extra moisture removal.
The backwindow in my Maverick doesn’t work at all except in extreme heat. Maverick seats don’t recline enough to be useful inside camping.
However, a passenger seat delete could provide enough length to sleep.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it sounds like a good idea but I would never use it. When would you actually need something like that?

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also Maverick gas engine kicking on is much harsher and does not have the long period before on/ off cycle like the Prius when running A/C. Ford seems to like short duration ICE with more cycles per hour.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it sounds like a good idea but I would never use it. When would you actually need something like that?
Well I used the open back window to help off gas the toxic ‘new’ truck smell. Had a bees try to setup a new hive in the area behind the rear seat back.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I used the open back window to help off gas the toxic ‘new’ truck smell. Had a bees try to setup a new hive in the area behind the rear seat back.
I can see how that would be a problem. 😂

But how will the dogs stick their noses out the window if there is a screen in it?
Sponsored