First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
Interesting things in owners manual, "
Installing an aftermarket device that uses the DLC during normal driving for purposes such as remote insurance company monitoring,
transmission of vehicle data to other
devices or entities, or altering the
performance of the vehicle, may cause interference with or even damage to vehicle systems. We do not recommend or endorse the use of unapproved aftermarket plug-in devices. The vehicle Warranty will not cover damage caused by an aftermarket plug-in device."
Advertisement

RebellaE

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Flex
Trim
XLT
Installing an aftermarket device that uses the DLC during normal driving for purposes such as remote insurance company monitoring,
performance of the vehicle, may cause interference with or even damage to vehicle systems. We do not recommend or endorse the use of unapproved aftermarket plug-in devices. The vehicle Warranty will not cover damage caused by an aftermarket plug-in device."
Well, there's my excuse not to get one from my insurance company. I'd probably save money if it was just me driving, but I'm sure my husband would undo any savings I would get if he borrowed my vehicle, lol. VERY different driving styles...

olderbudwiser

XLT
First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2005 BMW , 2010 F150
Trim
XLT
Interesting, trying to Imagine what damage may occur. I can see aftermarket tunes changing shift points, or altering spark/fuel delivery.

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
"The normal oil change interval for vehicles operating in the Middle East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa or locations with similar climates using an American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline Engines (Certification mark) oil
of SM or SN quality is 3,000 mi
(5,000 km). If the available API SM or SN oils are not available, then the oil change interval is 2,000 mi (3,000 km)."

Looks like this if for southern east CA, southern NV (looking at you vegas), eastern Arizona and couple spots on texas/mexico boarder.

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
Both engines uses the same oil filter. The 2.0 is 5w30 and 2.5 0w20. The 2.5 slight higher capacity but both will need 6 quarts (will have some left over from the last quart).

Chasdev

XLT
First Name
Charles
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Silverado 14 Accord
Trim
XLT
Oil change intervals are at best a guess on the manufacturer's part.
The only way to determine change interval (outside of sending off a sample to a lab) is to calculate the average trip drive time over a month or more, which is to say the shorter the trips on average, the more often the oil needs changing.
Cars driven on the highway almost exclusively can go 10k between changes no problem but those driven on surface street short hops from home to work and back, over and over and over, will need a change before 3k rolls around.
Once motor oil reaches full operating temp (over 225) and stays there for 30 minutes, it burns off the water vapor the engine inhaled from the previous trip (and the cool down after that trip.
If the engine is operated with no full heat cycles on the oil (and the 30 minute burn off time) then the next time it's started that moisture stays in the crankcase and if that pattern is repeated dozens of times then enough moisture builds up in the crankcase to form, combined with the byproducts of combustion (from the perspective of an engine builder) two of my favorite substances, acid and varnish.
Both of which are your new engine's worst enemy, along with abrasive dust particles in the 4 micron range.
So dusty air and short hop driving are verboten, but both can be negated with frequent oil (and air filter) changes and by frequent I mean as low a 1500/2000 miles per change.
Lastly, while on the subject of air filtration, avoid K+N style oiled cloth types, they flow more air but filter very little of it.
Closed cell oiled foam works well though.

Probity

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Trim
XLT
Scheduled Maintenance:
1. Normal Operating Conditions
-change brake fluid every 3 years​
-150,000 miles for automatic transmission fluid and accessories drive belt change​
-200,000 miles or 10 years change engine coolant​
-spark plugs not mentioned​
2. Special Operating Conditions - operated primary (not just occasionally):
a. towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier​
-30,000 miles change auto trans fluid​
-60,000 miles change spark plugs​
b. extensive idling/low speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use as taxi/delivery/patrol/livery service​
-30,000 miles change auto trans fluid​
-60,000 miles change spark plugs​
c. dusty or sandy conditions​
-30,000 miles change automatic transmission fluid​
-5,000 miles rotate the tires​
-5,000 miles change engine oil/filter​

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
That is for "normal" i posted "hot climate".. Which is posted in the owners manual so in theory could void the warranty if not followed.. The question is where is hot climate... The places i listed have the same climate as specify listed in the owners manual.. So take that for what it is worth..

Darnon

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion Hybrid
Trim
Lariat
Interesting, trying to Imagine what damage may occur. I can see aftermarket tunes changing shift points, or altering spark/fuel delivery.
One of my scantools (a mid-range OTC/Bosch) has a nearly 50/50 shot of making the CANBUS communication absolutely freak out on newer Fords when it handshakes. I wouldn't want to try it while driving.

STARCOMMTREY1

XLT
First Name
Trey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Trim
XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the hybrid can get up to 15000 miles about a oil change due to the ice not running

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
What page does it say 15000 miles in the owners manual?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Trim
Undecided
What page does it say 15000 miles in the owners manual?
It's a footnote in my manual. Look for something like: "Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes."
Manual p488.jpg
Manual p485.jpg

And this is what my Escape Hybrid looked like a short while ago. I reset Trip 2 at oil changes. It shows almost 10K on the car, but 4676 miles less on the ICE, and 47% oil life remaining.
Trip2 OIl 20210924.jpg

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
That is interesting.. I see in the manual it says, "This interval
may be up to one year or 10,000 mi
(16,000 km), hybrid vehicles could exceed 10,000 mi (16,000 km).... Never exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between oil change intervals." Page 436

Then again, "
1 Hybrid vehicles may achieve longer distances between oil changes, but do not exceed the one year maximum oil change interval....1 Do not exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between service intervals."
Page 440. Love a little double talk. Really doesn't matter to me cause i do 5k oil changes but still interesting none the less.

OP
OP

Tunafish

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Trim
Undecided
"After driving through mud, clean
off residue stuck to rotating driveshafts and tires. Excess residue can cause an imbalance that could damage drive components."

Keep those driveshaft and tires clean.

huunvubu

XLT
First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Trim
XLT
Interesting things in owners manual,

"Installing an aftermarket device that uses the DLC during normal driving for purposes such as remote insurance company monitoring, transmission of vehicle data to other devices or entities, or altering the performance of the vehicle, may cause interference with or even damage to vehicle systems. We do not recommend or endorse the use of unapproved aftermarket plug-in devices. The vehicle Warranty will not cover damage caused by an aftermarket plug-in device."
What o_O

Why lump devices like "remote insurance company monitoring" that are only "read-only" to ones that do/can "alter the performance of the vehicle". I mean how can "read-only" devices even "cause interference with or even damage to vehicle systems".

How many of us have ELM327 Bluetooth OBD II devices constantly plugged-in so we can see in real-time vehicle data on our phone apps.

How can we get APPROVED "aftermarket plug-in devices" since ford states "We do not recommend or endorse the use of unapproved aftermarket plug-in devices."

Is there some website that lists these "approved aftermarket plug-in devices"?

Is the above warning(s) standard boilerplate for other vehicle manufactures?

Reactions: JJC
Advertisement

Advertisement