Overlanding Kitchen Build

Maverikkilake

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Trim
Lariat
Ordered a hybrid lariat lux as a base for my new overlanding build. Thinking the bed size and, the outlets and wiring points, and the lower access height (I clock in at a towering 5’4) should be perfect. I’m not planning to take this thing down any tough trails but it should serve great as a mobile camper/explorer. Anyone have thoughts on using the flexbed to build a DIY kitchen/storage solution? I don’t want to spend $1000 on a box I could build myself but most DIY builds I can find online are meant for much larger trucks or crossovers without a tailgate to consider.
Advertisement

PapaDave

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 5
Trim
XLT
I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.

Dallas Maverick

Lariat
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Trim
Lariat
I will look at the height of the tailgate, when down, to see if I can use it as a prep table/platform. If I do a DIY, I will make something small like a wood foot locker. However, I like the idea of being able to carry it around a campsite(s) instead of being limited to where I park my truck.
The tailgate, when lowered, is about 30" high (as tall as a table.)

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
1633537813918.png

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.

OP
OP

Maverikkilake

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Trim
Lariat
The tailgate, when lowered, is about 30" high (as tall as a table.)

Think something like this would be pretty cool too.
1633537813918.png

If these trays could slide all the way out and become free-standing tables, that could be pretty useful.
I was thinking about something like that and I think I might go in this direction:

Would probably need to be modified to fit between the wheel wells but I don’t think I’d need the second giant drawer.

I also thought the Drifta systems are very cool but might be a bit complex to build and they’re not cheap or easy to buy since it’s an Australian company. Plus I don’t love that they’re not able to be mounted to the truck bed and slide out like a drawer.

https://www.kakaducamping.com/products/drifta-camp-kitchen-dpos

Dallas Maverick

Lariat
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Trim
Lariat
One of the things that is really lost right now in a lot of these picture and videos is a sense of scale. Many don't realize just how small this bed is. I thought I would mock it up and see what opportunities there are.

Using dimensions people have provided, as well as some of the pics, I thought I would mock it up.

Trying to keep it simple, I thought I would see how much space these under bed storage units would take up. Here is what I got.
1633552219266.png

1633552329046.png

1633552359079.png

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement