Sponsored

Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good]

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please correct me if I messed up the terms or any information.

I was curious which of the Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 legs were line vs. load, as this can impact the isolation of the original system fuse from the added fuse when using a fuse tap. Since these Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 are both adjacent to some large plastic obstacles, there is only one orientation you can use a fuse tap in both of these cases.

It turns out, whether by design or happy coincidence, both fuse tap orientations are "correct". Fuse 3 bottom leg is line, and Fuse 6 top leg is line.

Video for the documentation.

Ford Maverick Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good] Correct

Ford Maverick Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good] Incorrect

Ford Maverick Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good] Fuse 3 Tapped Photo - edited

Ford Maverick Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good] Fuse 6 correct
Sponsored

Last edited:

RichMartMD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't imagine the wires from those rearview mirror kits are long enough;
What gauge-size wire do you recommend to run from the mirror?

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't imagine the wires from those rearview mirror kits are long enough;
What gauge-size wire do you recommend to run from the mirror?
I believe you should be covered by 15 ft. That's what I used. You could use stranded 18ga (edit: with a 5amp fuse) -- the power draw from the mirror is so incredibly tiny. You could consider 16ga if you think you might use a 7.5amp fuse to support a high resolution dashcam with multiple cameras (front/rear/inside). Radar detector also maybe? You might as well use 16ga, stranded. The cost difference is negligible really, and there is plenty of room to hide a 2- or 3-conductor 16ga cable in the A-Pillar and behind headliner if I recall correctly.

EDIT: To clarify, the proper thing to do is to use wire that corresponds to your fuse. The fuse protects the wire. For example, if you use a 20amp fuse with 18ga wire it has the potential to literally melt the wire sheathing without blowing the fuse. Your 'tap fuse' that you add on to the circuit fuse should not exceed the original circuit fuse amp rating. It's ok for your tap fuse to be less than the circuit fuse, just not greater.

If you use
5 amp fuse: 18ga.
7.5 amp fuse: 16ga. I think.

You can also use a larger wire gauge on a smaller amperage. 16ga wire with 5 amp fuse is fine.

Last edited:

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what kind of fuse type is number 24 in the cabin fuse box? If it is any other type than a micro 2, do they make fuse taps for that type? I need a source of accessory power for my 2 meter radio and this one is about the only one that has enough amperage to power it in the transmit mode. Right now, I have a direct to battery connection under the rear seat and am getting tired of forgetting to turn the radio off when I park.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what kind of fuse type is number 24 in the cabin fuse box? If it is any other type than a micro 2, do they make fuse taps for that type? I need a source of accessory power for my 2 meter radio and this one is about the only one that has enough amperage to power it in the transmit mode. Right now, I have a direct to battery connection under the rear seat and am getting tired of forgetting to turn the radio off when I park.
24 is Micro2, constant battery.

I recommend getting a micro3 fuse tap for #1/3. Is unused by the system, accessory power. That’s the one I used for my dashcam, 5amp fuse in the tap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ND0SRZW

Dashcam install video has some info about it early in the video. Is super long so just look at the beginning of you’re interested.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-video-hardwire-front-and-rear-dashcam.10624/

Sponsored

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I recommend getting a micro3 fuse tap for #1/3. Is unused by the system, accessory power. That’s the one I used for my dashcam, 5amp fuse in the tap.

Dashcam install video has some info about it early in the video. Is super long so just look at the beginning of you’re interested.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...-video-hardwire-front-and-rear-dashcam.10624/
Thanks for the quick answer. I was not aware that 24 was constant. The ones you mention are not enough amperage. When I key the mike, it actually pulls about 30 amps but I turned it back a bit to keep it at a lower level. That's why I was looking at 24.
I am open for suggestions for an accessory fuse that can handle 20 - 30 amps. Maybe the passenger door module, fuse 7, could handle it. I won't be transmitting while the passenger door or any of the functions on it are in use. Is that another Micro2 or something else?
If I have to, I am open to using the under hood fuse box if I have to.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the quick answer. I was not aware that 24 was constant. The ones you mention are not enough amperage. When I key the mike, it actually pulls about 30 amps but I turned it back a bit to keep it at a lower level. That's why I was looking at 24.
I am open for suggestions for an accessory fuse that can handle 20 - 30 amps. Maybe the passenger door module, fuse 7, could handle it. I won't be transmitting while the passenger door or any of the functions on it are in use. Is that another Micro2 or something else?
If I have to, I am open to using the under hood fuse box if I have to.
Sorry I misread your note about the radio. That question about amperage for that is out of my wheelhouse.

But you can see the fuse layout in the manual link. You can easily see which size each fuse is. I’ll try to find my notes about which fuses are accessory only.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=usa&buildtype=web

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're using that much you're probably better of running direct power through a high amp relay/solenoid triggered off a key on power source.
That is one way to do it but I like to keep things simple. I have been installing radios in cars and other places since the 1970's. For most of the professional jobs, cost was not a big concern but now that I am retired, I try to keep the cost as low as possible for my own installations. Also, I don't have to rush to do it because someone else needs it done.

Sponsored

Heyspike

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnryan.us
Vehicle(s)
C5 - Fairway Green, SIlverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

If we are using a fuse tap for a micro 2 style fuse, why use a micro 3? will it fit? I pulled #1 today and it is a Micro 2.
Thanks.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If we are using a fuse tap for a micro 2 style fuse, why use a micro 3? will it fit? I pulled #1 today and it is a Micro 2.
Thanks.
Fuse 1/2 are both on the same micro3 fuse.

I misspoke before when i typed 1/3

Ford Maverick Orientation of Add-a-Tap on Fuse 3 and Fuse 6 (Accessory / Ignition Only Power) [Spoiler: It's All Good] FA2CA8F0-9194-482E-AD49-C43446D8E3B9

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost