Sponsored

Ordered Maverick, dealer added on $2.5K of features. What should I do?

OP
OP

eyeeatingfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Damn that's a well written statement! I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment on ceramic coating! I just started using ceramic coating after receiving some knowledge and advice from @SgtLip . After researching I decided to go with Adam's Polishes products. I've did both my Harleys with ceramic and just like you stated the bikes look amazing and much easier to keep clean. I've even done my Mom's 06 PT Cruiser and the car looks great! I did my bikes and my Mom's car as a way to practice washing, preparing and ceramic coating since I've never done it before. I want to be ready for when my Maverick arrives. Yeah, it's only a $30k vehicle, but to it worth a lot more to me and the ceramic coating said it did care about vehicle pricing 🤣!
Doing some reading I understand that the ceramic coating can be a good product so I know it wasn't a complete ripoff. However personally, I never wash my cars. They are tools to me and I don't care if they look dirty. If I get scrapes I don't fix them beyond maybe the factory paint can touch up. I understand some people love having their car look nice and clean though.
Sponsored

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ceramic coating can be a good product and worth $1,500 but it depends on the quality of product they use. I didn't read through the whole thread so this may have been covered, but a lot of dealerships use a product called Permaplate which is basically just Turtle Wax. If the dealer did put on a quality product, they probably would have charged more than $1,500. My dealership tried to pull one over on me by charging $3,500 for Permaplate on my Escape. After walking out they finally agreed to waive the cost.

Ceramic coating is beneficial for people who don't wash their cars often. It creates a coating that basically makes them easier to clean and causes dirt to slide off easier.

I have to say, I didn't even know dealers still tried the old VIN etching scam.

Exiwolf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I ordered a Maverick XL in January and it just came in. I got the base model upgraded with the gas engine, a tow hitch, and tail gate lock which made the truck about $22K. Dealer told me that their markup was $3995 due to the high demand and limited supply of this truck. This wasn't going to be open to negotiation. I knew the market situation is what it is but I was really looking forward to this truck so I said ok and signed the order form. No down payments, just the price of $26K and it also said "*plus taxes and fees".

Well the truck came in, I test drove it, and there was $2,500 in additional costs. totaling over $28,000 WTF?!
$400 for VIN etching on the window
$500 for cleaning fee (covid related)
$1500 for ceramic coating.

I am pissed now because I didn't order or want any of that. I thought taxes and fees were sales taxes and registration fees, not add-ons. A ceramic coating isn't even a fee like a cleaning fee, it is a product! The salesman's boss said he could take $500 off the ceramic coating but I told him I didn't want to pay for a ceramic coating at all and even said I was willing to pay for the cleaning and VIN etching. I said I would come back Monday (tomorrow) so the wife could see the truck but basically I have to decide by tomorrow. I want the truck because I am tired of throwing 2 sheets of plywood and logs on my SUV roof but our current cars work fine and we aren't in need of a new car. What do you guys think I should do?

1. Pay the price
2. Demand they take off the dealer add-on costs and threaten to contact the BBB and leave negative Yelp reviews if they don't comply? (The have a wait list and know they can get full asking price so the only real bargaining weight I have is bad press)
3. Buy the truck and try to turn around and sell it for a small profit
4. Walk away, wait an additional 6+ months to order a new one and specify no dealer add ons. (dealer mark up may be higher in future depending on demand/supply, they were talking about increasing markup by another $2K)
I wouldn't pay for anything you did not agree to, all look like BS add-ons, like what the hell is covid cleaning and I bet the ceramic is just wax job.

Definitely do not agree to it , they can take a loss or give you another truck.

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Walk away it is just a truck
Unibody makes this more like a subaru brat than a real truck! I know, because I eager to get my fake truck too!

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I ordered a Maverick XL in January and it just came in. I got the base model upgraded with the gas engine, a tow hitch, and tail gate lock which made the truck about $22K. Dealer told me that their markup was $3995 due to the high demand and limited supply of this truck. This wasn't going to be open to negotiation. I knew the market situation is what it is but I was really looking forward to this truck so I said ok and signed the order form. No down payments, just the price of $26K and it also said "*plus taxes and fees".

Well the truck came in, I test drove it, and there was $2,500 in additional costs. totaling over $28,000 WTF?!

I am pissed now because I didn't order or want any of that. I thought taxes and fees were sales taxes and registration fees, not add-ons. A ceramic coating isn't even a fee like a cleaning fee, it is a product! The salesman's boss said he could take $500 off the ceramic coating but I told him I didn't want to pay for a ceramic coating at all and even said I was willing to pay for the cleaning and VIN etching. I said I would come back Monday (tomorrow) so the wife could see the truck but basically I have to decide by tomorrow. I want the truck because I am tired of throwing 2 sheets of plywood and logs on my SUV roof but our current cars work fine and we aren't in need of a new car. What do you guys think I should do?

1. Pay the price
2. Demand they take off the dealer add-on costs and threaten to contact the BBB and leave negative Yelp reviews if they don't comply? (The have a wait list and know they can get full asking price so the only real bargaining weight I have is bad press)
4. Walk away, wait an additional 6+ months to order a new one and specify no dealer add ons. (dealer mark up may be higher in future depending on demand/supply, they were talking about increasing markup by another $2K)
Who is the dealership so we can offer advice to them and their other customers too?

Sponsored

OP
OP

eyeeatingfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Ceramic coating can be a good product and worth $1,500 but it depends on the quality of product they use. I didn't read through the whole thread so this may have been covered, but a lot of dealerships use a product called Permaplate which is basically just Turtle Wax. If the dealer did put on a quality product, they probably would have charged more than $1,500. My dealership tried to pull one over on me by charging $3,500 for Permaplate on my Escape. After walking out they finally agreed to waive the cost.

Ceramic coating is beneficial for people who don't wash their cars often. It creates a coating that basically makes them easier to clean and causes dirt to slide off easier.

I have to say, I didn't even know dealers still tried the old VIN etching scam.
The coating is Resistall NG2. Actually comes with some sort of warranty if I understand. The VIN etching too actually came with a warranty. If my car is stolen within 3 years I get $2500 back.

Nandn205

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350
The coating is Resistall NG2. Actually comes with some sort of warranty if I understand. The VIN etching too actually came with a warranty. If my car is stolen within 3 years I get $2500 back.

Wow, that isn't even ceramic coating. That's the same stuff dealers have been peddling for over a decade (ceramic coating has only been popular for about 5 years). True ceramic coating also comes with paint correction, which is actually the most expensive part of the process due to the labor required. The ceramic coating is then hand applied. Resistall is sprayed on and is pretty much snake oil.

Sounds like you found a gem of a dealer.

Last edited:

Paradise Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
They added $1000 to mine, clean and prep, nitrogen in the tires. I had no choice but to pay or walk away. They know that, that's why they can get away with it.

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That seems more like Permaplate which is basically just a wax. You'll have to read the fine print about the warranty. I believe with Permaplate you have to return to the dealer every year to have it re-applied.

This VIN etching is hilarious. Why the hell does the dealer care if the truck gets stolen after they sell it? These VIN etching kits can be bought on Amazon for like $25.

Sponsored

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
#1- You agreed to a $3995.00 markup from the start. You had a crappy deal right from the beginning. They probably figured if you’re good for $4k upfront, you’re probably good for another couple grand in “dealer installed options “. On top of that, they had not even gotten you in with the F&I guy. You need to sharpen your car buying skills or these guys are keep walking all over you on deals. 👎

OP
OP

eyeeatingfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Wow, that isn't even ceramic coating. That's the same stuff dealers have been peddling for over a decade (ceramic coating has only been popular for about 5 years). True ceramic coating also comes with paint correction, which is actually the most expensive part of the process due to the labor required. The ceramic coating is then hand applied. Resistall is sprayed on and is pretty much snake oil.

Sounds like you found a gem of a dealer.
I see... Well it does come with a warranty so maybe I can at least recoup costs with warranty claims if the product doesn't perform as claimed

OP
OP

eyeeatingfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
#1- You agreed to a $3995.00 markup from the start. You had a crappy deal right from the beginning. They probably figured if you’re good for $4k upfront, you’re probably good for another couple grand in “dealer installed options “. On top of that, they had not even gotten you in with the F&I guy. You need to sharpen your car buying skills or these guys are keep walking all over you on deals. 👎
The dealer mark up was actually less than the other Ford dealership I contacted, another dealership had a markup either 1 or 2 thousand higher. I guess I could have tried to order one from the mainland and had it shipped in but then I would have had to commit to the truck without ever test driving or sitting in one since no dealerships had them in stock. I guess I could have tried that but then there would be the shipping cost ($1100+) as well.

The markup was what it was, nothing I could have done about that unless I just didn't but the truck. Only other option is the Hyundai Santa Cruz and that thing is already $4K more in MSRP.

Olldladieslovemavericksto

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outlander Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1. Pay the price
If you Signed a contract when you ordered it they have to stick to that price, they can't add crap on to it after the fact! Hence the term "a contract". I would fight it and tell him if you have to take them to court they can pay for lawyers and court fees on top of it.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could move to Canada. That kind of underhanded crap is ILLEGAL here
Sponsored