Sponsored

Order Your Mav While You Can: a global shortage of magnesium could result in a near-total shutdown of the auto industry.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
“Magnesium has an incredibly short lifetime” is total BS. It can be stored forever. Just keep it away from moisture or any other oxidizer.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“Magnesium has an incredibly short lifetime” is total BS. It can be stored forever. Just keep it away from moisture or any other oxidizer.
Magnesium is difficult to store because of how reactive it is. It can be stored, but it is a costly process.

Magnesium also reacts with a lot of stuff besides water. This is one of the properties that makes it so damn flammable (though this is not the primary storage concern).

Last edited:

Sponsored

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My thought exactly... Mav on order & (was going to) replace our oldie but goodie - 2004 FX4 SuperCrew F150 w/ 5.4 3V V8 & only 72K orig. miles and we're orig. owners also... so yeah, might just have an older big brother in the driveway for a bit
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 6.26.31 PM.png
I miss my 2004 F150 everyday, had 260,00 miles and going strong on it when I got rid of it.

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnesium is difficult to store because of how reactive it is. It can be stored, but it is a costly process.

Magnesium also reacts with a lot of stuff besides water. This is one of the properties that makes it so damn flammable (though this is not the primary storage concern).

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree entirely but that is totally different from having an “incredibly short half-life“ which is wrong and deliberately misleading.

Canis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VWs
Oh boy. I really need to stop hesitating and put in an order ASAP... and wait (with everyone else lol).

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree entirely but that is totally different from having an “incredibly short half-life“ which is wrong and deliberately misleading.

Dunno if it matters, but the actual words were: (not half-life)

This slowdown in magnesium wouldn’t be such an issue if the metal could be easily stored, but it’s got an incredibly short life span on its own. Magnesium oxidizes relatively quickly, and European reserves are expected to run dry by the end of November.
I guess it's not rapidly splitting atomic nuclei like plutonium lol. I also wonder if it's reaaaallly that hard to store in the context of immediate demand for it currently.

https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Pure_Magnesium.html

Last edited:

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess it's not rapidly splitting atomic nuclei like plutonium lol. I also wonder if it's reaaaallly that hard to store in the context of immediate demand for it currently.
No, storage probably isn't a concern at the moment considering demand. It is, how, a concern for any mining company that considers expanding it's operations. They have to consider what happens if demand suddenly falls and now they have to decide on whether they should let a bunch of expensive equipment rust before it's paid off, or if they should keep sprinting and store it hoping demand picks back up again.
Sponsored