First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac is running fine, has long been paid for, is on-demand 4WD and in many ways is like the Maverick on steroids. It has about 138,000 miles.
The only variant of the Maverick I'd want is the hybrid. That excellent mpg is the biggest draw.
I understand that the window for ordering is closing soon and if I don't order in the next few weeks it will likely be summer before Ford starts taking orders again.
So...order now or wait? The Maverick is nice but not really a must-have and in some ways my ST is more capable. What would you do and why?
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel sure the price will go up next year, if that matters to you.

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want a hybrid order now especially under or at MSRP and with refundable deposit otherwise you are going to pay more than MSRP to wait.

Phillipjon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM 3500 - 1996 F250 - 2012 Ford Flex
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac is running fine, has long been paid for, is on-demand 4WD and in many ways is like the Maverick on steroids. It has about 138,000 miles.
The only variant of the Maverick I'd want is the hybrid. That excellent mpg is the biggest draw.
I understand that the window for ordering is closing soon and if I don't order in the next few weeks it will likely be summer before Ford starts taking orders again.
So...order now or wait? The Maverick is nice but not really a must-have and in some ways my ST is more capable. What would you do and why?
How would you spec one out? I have two on order. The dealer is selling at MSRP.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Remember if you don't order now it'll be summer ordering, for fall delivery if you are lucky. You're probably looking at year end 2022 at best then.

I'm also hard pressed to see anything about the st that isn't beat by the Maverick. St is long in the tooth... Not trying to offend, but you're stepping into the modern era with the Maverick. Unless you need it for towing (which doesn't seem to be the case) might as well strike while the iron is hot and get a better sale on your used truck as well.

The hybrid is going to become an even hotter commodity once it is out in the wild. Year two is probably also going to cost a good chunk more. Wouldn't surprise me to see the xl disappear from retail and be a fleet only option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How would you spec one out? I have two on order. The dealer is selling at MSRP.
Gotta be a hybrid. Am good with an XL except I really like the Hot Pepper Red and that requires XLT. Only extras would be Co-Pilot 360 and a trailer hitch. Could add a spray-in liner and hard tri-fold tonneau later. Trying to keep the total Down-the-Road price including taxes and fees not much over $25K.

NoMavyYet

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f250 2002 Ranger
Just ordered my hybrid today,
like everyone is saying up there^
Just order one, put a $500 refundable ( most dealers are) deposit and if you don’t want it the dealer will be more than happy to sell it OVER Msrp
Waiting for next year will definitely make a summer order be delivered around this time

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm hoping the FWD is up to Idaho winters. We typically don't get much snow in Boise but I sometimes venture into the higher country and the ST 4WD makes it a beast in the snow - excellent!
Together than the excellent hybrid mpg, what is that great about the tech in the Maverick that would make it so much better?

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep the ST for the trips up north, towing, etc and use the Maverick as a daily...
The ST is paid for and suspect insurance wouldn't be too bad as a leisure vehicle.

I say order

OP
OP
CACTI_HYBRID

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep the ST for the trips up north, towing, etc and use the Maverick as a daily...
The ST is paid for and suspect insurance wouldn't be too bad as a leisure vehicle.

I say order
Can't do that. Will need the trade in or sales proceeds from the ST to do the deal plus I'd have to insure both. Not practical.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Order now, because you will have to wait, therefore you have fulfilled both parts of your initial inquiry! You may have to put down a deposit, which in most cases if fully refundable. So you order now, wait, wait, wait, wait, and in the meantime you can test drive a Maverick once one is available near you and get a better feel if the Maverick will be good for your needs. Personally, I've found that FWD does well in winter conditions, I don't know about upcountry Idaho. It certainly works great here in Arizona for winter, I'm joking we don't have winter in Southern Arizona!! 🌵🐍 🤣 Seriously, I don't see a downside to ordering a Maverick now, locking in a MSRP, because if you've been on this forum for a while you'll know that dealer are adding some serious markups to Mavericks on the car lot!!
Sponsored