Sponsored

Open letter to Ford Motor Company: please release MY23 order guide days before order bank opening

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It makes sense if you are not consumed by FOMO. How about backing off and not being so concerned about ordering the 1st day? Or the 1st week, month? WAIT until everything needed to make a sound decision is available. You don't NEED TO be 1st or "front of the line" to order a Maverick do you?
I'm not picking sides here, but I think this sense of urgency to be first in line stems from a literal year of piecemeal information and lack of order security.
Y'all do know how some of us only found out about the Maverick after the order banks closed, right? There's a good chance they'll close them early again, and a remote chance they'll sell out on opening day. Better to get it in while we can, than get stuck waiting another year or buying at some insane markup.
Sponsored

Pogeegitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Expedition Max XLT, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It makes sense if you are not consumed by FOMO. How about backing off and not being so concerned about ordering the 1st day? Or the 1st week, month? WAIT until everything needed to make a sound decision is available. You don't NEED TO be 1st or "front of the line" to order a Maverick do you? We know it will be a case of "hurry up and wait" for many months AFTER you order. You'll be able to order for many months and this is Summer and tons of other fun and pleasant things to do - so why not turn your focus to those for awhile? We all know there are other avenues and work arounds for getting a Maverick if you NEED 1 sooner, and the trade off will be probably paying more than what some people here will approve of (ignore them- it's not their $ or decision) and the used market is now coming back to Earth. We've seen many people intercept an incoming vehicle or take advantage of a refused retail order- it can be done with a little extra work. I don't get why people are so stressed about about the order process which they have no control over. Life is too short for that :unsure:
While I agree 100% with your position, I'll also point out that FOMO has become the primary marketing tool over the past 10-20 years, including auto manufacturers. If custom ordering is going to be the way of the future (like has been stated by Ford), then try and make that process a little less painful.

That being said, it's also been pointed out that even if you NEED a Mav sooner, being able to order it on day 1 doesn't mean you're at the front of the line to get it built, and that could be a little more transparent on the front end to Joe Public that doesn't necessarily follow these forums.

Burch20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It makes sense if you are not consumed by FOMO. How about backing off and not being so concerned about ordering the 1st day? Or the 1st week, month? WAIT until everything needed to make a sound decision is available. You don't NEED TO be 1st or "front of the line" to order a Maverick do you? We know it will be a case of "hurry up and wait" for many months AFTER you order. You'll be able to order for many months and this is Summer and tons of other fun and pleasant things to do - so why not turn your focus to those for awhile? We all know there are other avenues and work arounds for getting a Maverick if you NEED 1 sooner, and the trade off will be probably paying more than what some people here will approve of (ignore them- it's not their $ or decision) and the used market is now coming back to Earth. We've seen many people intercept an incoming vehicle or take advantage of a refused retail order- it can be done with a little extra work. I don't get why people are so stressed about about the order process which they have no control over. Life is too short for that :unsure:
You got a truck yet? Before Ford moved away from the previous distribution model I would have agreed but now that they're prioritizing early orders pending constraints, you're wrong. Unless you want to pay a premium for convenience.

I think you're missing a huge issue in all of this. Ford drug everyone along like they could compete all MY22's when they knew the entire time they never would. MY23 is likely to be the same way. Wait a month or two or four like you seem to be willing to do and let us know when you get your order. My bet is you've already talked to your dealer about placing your original order with none of the options you dropped and told them you want it placed 2 August just like everyone else. We all know your best chance is to either order with Long McArthur, that big dealer in Philly (forget the name) or be as close to 2 August as possible and you're still going to struggle to be built in the first 3 or 4 months.

Burch20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ZERO % finance rate is the killer
Spray in bedliner for sure goes imo. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop things that need extra chips like heated seats from the XLT.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually since Ford was only able to produce about 50000 Maverick trucks using that logic that the same constraints could still be a concern for 2023 models you should be communicating with your dealer or actually email Tim because he Will follow thru and get it done. Many dealers are going to make promises and Not deliver or attempt additional costs. Only Trust Tim or Get everything in Writing!
your numbers are way low. Please look at the reports on here that show monthly production and add them up. You need to go all the way back to Sept 2021 when production actually started. It will prove enlightening reading :oops:

Agree with you constraints will likely persist throughout MY2023 production, and only get incrementally better over time.

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I gleefully put 30 plus years at Ford. Ever since the Jac Nasser years its been a colossal mess. The disaster I watched unfolding helped with my decision to leave.

Friends that are still there are putting in their time doing the best they can but the Manager and above workforce is still a disaster. Not a 100% but enough to sow dissent.

This mess is directly related to all the changes implemented in the name of fairness.

Falstaff1

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
highwheel
it's only painful if you make it painful. Chill out, people.

Ford Motor Company does not give a flying fuck about your stupid open letter. And they couldn't change the process now even if they did.

Some of you are seriously delusional.
Hahahah!

That is assuming your sig isnt meant to be serious.... :)

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You got a truck yet? Before Ford moved away from the previous distribution model I would have agreed but now that they're prioritizing early orders pending constraints, you're wrong. Unless you want to pay a premium for convenience.

I think you're missing a huge issue in all of this. Ford drug everyone along like they could compete all MY22's when they knew the entire time they never would. MY23 is likely to be the same way. Wait a month or two or four like you seem to be willing to do and let us know when you get your order. My bet is you've already talked to your dealer about placing your original order with none of the options you dropped and told them you want it placed 2 August just like everyone else. We all know your best chance is to either order with Long McArthur, that big dealer in Philly (forget the name) or be as close to 2 August as possible and you're still going to struggle to be built in the first 3 or 4 months.
No, I don't have my truck yet. Only got my VIN July 15th and build date of Aug 29. I expect that date will move multiple times before it actually gets built and it will not ruin my life or attitude if things shift around. It is what it is. Everyone who has a VIN will get built this year.

I think you are the 1 missing the huge issue here. The COVID shutdown the global economy for over 1 year, and the supply chains ALL global manufactures rely upon to build their products is nowhere near back to what it was. You can't just ignore that and blame companies for not being able to wave a magic wand and produce products the way they used to. Some people around here act like Ford doesn't WANT to build and sell us vehicles and make $ doing it. There is literally nothing they could have done different or better to build products in this environment. There's no way they could/should have known a world changing event was coming and planned for it so there would be no interruptions of business as usual.

And not trying to be rude here, but Ford never "drug everyone along" at all. They didn't even advertise Maverick in mass media campaigns- more like a "soft opening" for introducing a new product. Who ever would realistically expect Ford to start pumping out 10s of Thousands of trucks as soon as they placed an order? That's willful ignorance IMO, when it was clearly stated production wouldn't even start until September. It also wasn't their fault Hybrid OKTB didn't happen for another 3 months after that.

Bottom line is if you can't accept the reality of the challenges facing ALL manufacturers, you probably aren't going to be happy waiting any amount of time for a new vehicle and it may not be the best time for you to even try to buy 1 now 🤷‍♂️

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
any maybe timbo smalls could also make a realistic length video summarizing things as opposed to talking for over an hour each video.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only 2 1/2 months from launch, as of August 23, 2021 Ford CEO Farley bragged about already having 100,000 Maverick reservations before most even knew the Mav existed. https://www.motor1.com/news/528403/ford-maverick-reservations-three-states/

Taking orders through Jan 2022 must mean thousands more orders but the numbers are not adding up: My understanding is sharing the Hermosillo plant with the Bronco Sport limits Mav production to 6,000/month or less. That is only 72,000 per year assuming the supply chain issues suddenly clear up.

I personally know someone who ordered a XLT hybrid on June 8, 2021 right after launch way before the long line, but he is still waiting. That is wrong.

So with all of last year's orders still in limbo, Ford accepting 2023 orders seems pointless and will likely upset a lot more people. But Farley probably needs the new orders (that he knows Hermosillo does not have the capacity for) to keep his stock price pumped up.

For all we know, there might be more than 72,000 2022s that get converted to 2023s. Now that millions more know the Maverick exists, my bet is whatever new 2023 MY orders Ford squeezes in will close in days, not months like last year.

Here is Farley's email if you want to ask him what is going on. He probably won't answer but I would expect his assistant to read and report to the board a summary of what is stated on the emails. [email protected]
VINs issued so far already exceed 100,000 and those will all be built by production end in October. This will have been accomplished in basically 1 calendar year from start of production Sept 2021- if you factor in not a full month for Sept 2021, 2 weeks Holiday factory shut down, 2 more weeks also factory shut down and only 3 weeks of October this year.

Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I worked in IT for a contract medical device manufacturer. It's about communication! Sure projects get delayed stuff happens. I would have lost my job if a system that was scheduled on a certain date was not available unless I informed all the stakeholders in the project.
Other than a weatherman (weatherperson), working for Ford is the only other job where you can be wrong more than half the time and still keep your job apparently.

Suzysparks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S (Ordered a ‘23 Hybrid & Ecoboost)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the first 6 months of this year, so Jan-June, Ford has built 51,072 Maverick’s. I do not have the numbers for what they were able to produce in 2021. But then you also have what is left for July, August, and September Of this year. Positive thoughts…
Sponsored