Sponsored

Oil change schedule / interval? Synthetic oil?

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
With "Theoretically, so long as the TBN is over 0, TAN is 0. But that’s only in an ideal world (which we ain’t in)" as your understanding of AN/BN, I concede that you will never listen to me (your understanding is incorrect when it comes to oil analysis). So you win, take joy in whatever you want. It's not like I teach oil analysis for a living....
FWIW?
Credit to you for putting up with the resident "know it all" as long as you did. (y)
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
So if you have 10k engine mile, that will be the of up to 15k vehicle miles? Where did you get this number that 33% of your vehicle miles will be just the electric motor?
It's more like 37% EV, and I get this number from the car. Trip odo breaks out EV miles. This was taken at 10,014.9 miles, it shows that the trip odos don't carry a 5th digit, and I did about 43% EV to that point.
Ford Maverick Oil change schedule / interval? Synthetic oil? Escape 10KA

FordPass and the dash display both 54% of oil life remaining, at 8500 miles since the last change. I'm averaging 48% EV over that time, so that's about right.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm usually at about 45% EV on my Fusion. Although I've learned that I can't trust the Trip settings on electric miles as it seems to randomly start "forgetting" them.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FWIW?
Credit to you for putting up with the resident "know it all" as long as you did. (y)
Guess I should know by now that there's always going to be some "expert" that is going to know more than everyone else. Not the first chemist I've ran into that didn't understand oil analysis though.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... it seems to randomly start "forgetting" them.
Any chance you're a victim of truncation? My displays (C-Max/Escape) have been reliable.
See my post #92, where the trip odo shows 14.9 miles, not 10,014.9

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just change it when it tells you....hell even the superduties today do not have a set schedule. Change it when it tells you.

MaxTrucklet

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
My practice with new cars/trucks is an oil/filter change after a little more than 500 miles (initial break in). Another about a thousand miles later. Then to the factory schedule.
agree!…and I will use full syn, Mobil 1 0w-20w

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Won’t be getting into the oil wars, people have lots of good reasons to use whatever brands they use. Some general comments on the Motorcraft oils recommended by Ford in the owners manual:
  • My old employers (Conoco then ConocoPhillips) used to make Motorcraft oils for Ford. Once ConocoPhillips decided to become strictly an upstream company and spun off Phillips 66 (mid-stream, downstream), now Phillips 66 does Motorcraft oils for Ford. Some of the branded oils P66 makes/markets are P66 Shield, Kendall, Redline, some other “private label” brands (Motorcraft considered a private label).
  • 2.0L EB oil – Recommended Motorcraft 5w-30 Synthetic Blend is Ford Spec WSS-M2C961-A1. The cold climate recommended oil is a 0w-30 synthetic blend (which Motorcraft doesn’t make) with Ford spec WSS-M2C963-A1. I’ve not found a synthetic blend oil in that weight range (0w-30) that has documentation showing it meets the relevant Ford spec (any comments from our Canadian friends?) – but – there are a number of full synthetic 0w-30 that do mention in print they meet it.
  • 2.5l Hybrid – recommended Motorcraft 0w-20 Full Synthetic is Ford spec WSS-M2C962-A1. A number of oil brands mention in print they meet this spec.
  • A handy site where you can get cursory info on various Motorcraft oil specs - FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants . Note that both the 5w-30 Synthetic Blend (for 2.0 EB) and 0w-20 Full Synthetic (for Hybrid) are API service GF-6/SP/RC/SN PLUS (the “newest” service category). From PQIA Resource Center | The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (another handy motor oil site):
Ford Maverick Oil change schedule / interval? Synthetic oil? ILSAC-GF-6_API-SP2

• An oddity I found on the FCSD site is a Product Shelf Life table; for Motorcraft oils they all supposedly have a 60 month (5 year) shelf life.
  • For Motorcraft synthetic blend oils, I have no idea what % is “synthetic” base oil (10/90, 90/10?), or what type of “synthetic” base oil is used. However from BITOG, the conventional wisdom seems to be that SN/SN Plus oils have roughly 50% API Group III base oils, depending on whether it's 5w30 or 5w20 (it’s not thought that group IV or V base oils like PAO’s or esters are used, and probably not a “group III+” base oil like gas-to-liquid [GTL] base oil).
  • If you really want to get down in the weeds on motor oils, the BITOG site will keep you busy for days….. Bob Is The Oil Guy .

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But that’s all Wittgenstein’s ladder now.
Most folks would not have read Wittgenstein @Rkbrumbelow and so don't get the references. But thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Guess I should know by now that there's always going to be some "expert" that is going to know more than everyone else.
Did you help any of the rest of us who are not oil experts?

I'd have appreciated a simple link to a lab where folks can send samples of their oil. Like this: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

Public forums are often abused to publicly shame others but that also doesn't dish out any Internet points.

73bluebronco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick, 1973 Bronco, 2017 Fiat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most folks would not have read Wittgenstein @Rkbrumbelow and so don't get the references. But thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I'd have appreciated a simple link to a lab where folks can send samples of their oil. Like this: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/free-test-kits/

Public forums are often abused to publicly shame others but that also doesn't dish out any Internet points.
There are a number of labs, it is usually preference and location as to which one folks would go with.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Fwiw- I’ve used blackstone labs for uoi. Their kit is easy to use and I had 0 issues shipping it usps. I will continue to use them for my 16,000 rpm 4cyl and my future turbo 2.0, and use that info to adjust oil change interval as appropriate.

ricurt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer & Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
5w30 synthetic. Oh you do know the first three are free? At least mine are (with the Ford Pass app)

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was going to change oil at 1000 miles. Right now I'm at 945. Already bought two 5 gallon containers of 5w-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic plus filter. I may wait a little longer. Why? I read that the Mav comes with a blended synthetic oil, and want to be sure it's fully broken in before switching to full synthetic.

When I bought my new Honda Civic in 2009, I changed to 5w-20 Mobile 1 full synthetic after just 300 miles and my fuel economy sucked. With a stated mpg of 25-37 I was getting more like 20-22. Finally after a couple thousand miles, someone told me that synthetic oil works so well that it does not allow your engine to break in. So I switched back to regular oil. By the time I reached 3000 miles, I was getting 25-37 mpg. Then I switched back to the 5w-20 Mobil 1 and have gotten 25-37 mpg ever since. That car now has 107,000 miles and does not burn a drop of oil.

Ford states you can go 10,000 miles between oil changes with the Mav, with zero recommendations on an early after-break-in oil change. So I am not sure how long I'll wait before my first oil change. Maybe I'll go 3000 miles. In the meantime, I am watching my fuel economy to see if it improves.

Last edited:

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was going to change oil at 1000 miles. Right now I'm at 945. Already bought two 5 gallon containers of 5w-30 Mobile 1 full synthetic plus filter. I may wait a little longer. Why? I have read that the Mav comes with a blended synthetic oil, and I want to be sure it's fully broken in before switching to full synthetic.

When I bought my new Honda Civic in 2009, I changed to 5w-20 Mobile 1 full synthetic after just 300 miles and my fuel economy sucked. With a stated mpg of 25-37 I was getting more like 20-22. Finally after a couple thousand miles, someone told me that synthetic oil works so well that it does not allow your engine to break in. So I switched back to regular oil. By the time I reached 3000 miles, I was getting 25-37 mpg. Then I switched back to the 5w-20 Mobil 1 and have gotten 25-37 mpg ever since. That car now as 107,000 miles and does not burn a drop of oil.

Ford states you can go 10,000 miles between oil changes with the Mav, with zero recommendations on an early after-break-in oil change. So I am not sure how long I'll wait before my first oil change. Maybe I'll go 3000 miles. In the meantime, I am watching my fuel economy to see if it improves.
Yes indeed - you are spot on with the full synthetic used too early. The engine in a way is over protected and the rings don’t fully seat. Your reflections are further proof and I have followed the rule of letting the oem oil do its job - then switch to a quality synthetic.
Best of luck with your new ride 🇺🇸✔

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes indeed - you are spot on with the full synthetic used too early. The engine in a way is over protected and the rings don’t fully seat. Your reflections are further proof and I have followed the rule of letting the oem oil do its job - then switch to a quality synthetic.
Best of luck with your new ride 🇺🇸✔
What about my Hybrid....It comes with synthetic
Sponsored