First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I recently had an oil change at my local dealer. A couple weeks later, I noticed the oil life at least than 30%. Curious, I checked the dip stick to inspect the oil color in order to determine whether or not the oil had in fact been changed. I found this:

Ford Maverick Oil Change Mystery! PXL_20220618_192349366

It had been changed, but looks like way too much oil.

The dealership agreed to work me in and give me a fresh oil change to verify the exact amount of oil.

And it turns out, after the oil change, my dip stick shows the same overage. The service manager thinks there's an issue with the dipstick and a potential recall may be in the works.

Has anyone else noticed something like this? Check your dipsticks and let me know!
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please post a pic with the dip stick vertical so the oil isn't migrating down.

How many quarts of oil are shown on your work order for the oil change?

413 Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this an Ecoboost?

Is there a difference in oil levels between Hybrid/Eco or 4k/non-4k?

Is it as simple as looking at the wrong manual

Sponsored

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just did my 3600mi change this weekend, dip stick seemed fine although I only ended up putting roughly 4.5-5 quarts in, manual reads 5.5 total for the 2.0L. I'll check it later today when I cap it off and see - I'm thinking they just overfilled though, twice.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both engines are 5.5 qts with fresh filter

OP
OP
gwrjones

gwrjones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is more likely is that this company has the incorrect information for the required amount of oil necessary when refilling after an oil change.
They said 5.5 qts. They verified through two different Ford sources and two aftermarket sources.

Please post a pic with the dip stick vertical so the oil isn't migrating down.

How many quarts of oil are shown on your work order for the oil change?

The dipstick is flat in the picture, but three different people at Ford checked it and saw it reading similar, showing 2-3 qts over.

5.5 qts.

Is this an Ecoboost?

Is there a difference in oil levels between Hybrid/Eco or 4k/non-4k?

Is it as simple as looking at the wrong manual
They checked multiple sources for the amount.

Just did my 3600mi change this weekend, dip stick seemed fine although I only ended up putting roughly 4.5-5 quarts in, manual reads 5.5 total for the 2.0L. I'll check it later today when I cap it off and see - I'm thinking they just overfilled though, twice.
The first time it was the service center that changed it. This time it was the quick lube. Two different pumps, two different techs. Seems unlikely.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The top hole is the full mark, if you post a pic of it vertically you can more easily tell the oil level vs what is being scraped off the tube when extracting the dip stick... good luck....

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your OP said the first was dealer-performed and the second was the "dealer working [you] in" I presumed that to mean service department for a second time, especially when you mention the service manager throwing up his hands and giving some left field reasoning.

Definitely going to check my dip stick this evening, be interesting to see what 4.5quarts looks like compared to yours.

Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Checking oil with fill ups it always read high. I figured it would be different with an oil change. Filter and 5.5 qts added and dipstick looks high the same amount as it was from factory.
I know what I put in and what’s it supposed to be so Im just gonna read the dipstick as correct. Its happened on other engines over the years so I’m not gonna worry about it. Especially since I do all the fluid checks and most fluid changes.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I changed my own oil on my hybrid last weekend and had similar overfill concerns at first despite putting in what the manual stated: 5.7qts.

However if I quickly check the dipstick right after I pull it out (before the oil has a chance to migrate up and down the stick), I can see that the thick oil stops right around normal fill line. Then there's a gap with virtually no oil on the stick, then the oil starts again further up the stick making it seem overfilled.

At first I thought I had overfilled, but I'm pretty sure some oil is just stuck further up within the dipstick tube and is transferring to higher up on the dipstick.

Also as to the truck's oil life estimate, are you sure they didn't just forget to reset it? You have to do that in the truck's settings after an oil change

OP
OP
gwrjones

gwrjones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your OP said the first was dealer-performed and the second was the "dealer working [you] in" I presumed that to mean service department for a second time, especially when you mention the service manager throwing up his hands and giving some left field reasoning.

Definitely going to check my dip stick this evening, be interesting to see what 4.5quarts looks like compared to yours.
Yeah, it is a confusing set-up. My dealership has a Service Center and a Quick Lube department. They're both under the same service manager, but two distinct departments in different buildings.

OP
OP
gwrjones

gwrjones

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also as to the truck's oil life estimate, are you sure they didn't just forget to reset it? You have to do that in the truck's settings after an oil change
Yeah, they just forgot to reset it. That was just the thing that got me to check the color of the oil on the dipstick to see if they in fact changed the oil.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Changed my 2.0 the other day. 5.5 qts put it exactly at the full line.
Sponsored