NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The viscosity breakdown is concerning to me, this will be exacerbated in summer months. Flashpoint is great but your driving conditions and habits seem to keep your fuel dilution to a minimum which is what really affects the flash point.
Sponsored

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The viscosity breakdown is concerning to me, this will be exacerbated in summer months. Flashpoint is great but your driving conditions and habits seem to keep your fuel dilution to a minimum which is what really affects the flash point.
Really interested to see what this will look like in the summer. Curious what will happen to Viscosity and also if Fuel dilution will go up in the summer heat as well.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really interested to see what this will look like in the summer. Curious what will happen to Viscosity and also if Fuel dilution will go up in the summer heat as well.
I am pretty sure you have an engine oil to coolant heat exchanger. So your oil temp will be about the same in the summer. Meaning viscosity should remain about the same.
Blackstone seems to think actual viscosity isn't as important as some other data. They always say the expensive oil I run in my BMW motorcycle shows viscosity under their "normal" range, and also say to not worry about it ( 7000+ mile oil ).

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am pretty sure you have an engine oil to coolant heat exchanger. So your oil temp will be about the same in the summer. Meaning viscosity should remain about the same.
Blackstone seems to think actual viscosity isn't as important as some other data. They always say the expensive oil I run in my BMW motorcycle shows viscosity under their "normal" range, and also say to not worry about it ( 7000+ mile oil ).
I wish there was a way to monitor oil temp on the Maverick. I can monitor it on my 2017 subaru and it generally runs at 235F in the summer compared to 210F in the winter. And it also burns noticeable more oil in the summer.

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the J&L catch can on my 2.0. While it does collect some, its not much. It looks like over creamed coffee and smells heavy of fuel. I've never had the catch can full. I just hit 10,000 miles on mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the J&L catch can on my 2.0. While it does collect some, its not much. It looks like over creamed coffee and smells heavy of fuel. I've never had the catch can full. I just hit 10,000 miles on mine.
What are your driving conditions like? Flat or mountain?

I just emptied mine last night. Completely full after one tank of gas. All mountain driving.

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I just emptied mine last night. Completely full after one tank of gas. All mountain driving.

Mainly flat. I live in South Central Wisconsin. I am not sure on the physics with altitude that with someone mountain driving to have more fluid than someone like me that drives mostly flat.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry newbie here what does the catch can catch?

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry newbie here what does the catch can catch?
It catches crankcase fumes. The fumes have oil mist, gasoline, & water vapor in it. You only need one if you have Direct Injection, since those fumes would hit the dry back side of the intake valve and never get washed off like it does in Port Fuel Injection (PFI) (Hybrid Mav has PFI, no catch can needed).

Here is ChatGPT's response:

Question to ChatGPT: Why is a catch can sometimes used on car engines?

A catch can, also known as an oil catch can or a crankcase ventilation filter, is used on car engines to prevent oil and other contaminants from entering the intake system.
In a typical engine, a certain amount of blow-by gas escapes from the combustion chamber and enters the crankcase, where it mixes with oil and other contaminants. This mixture can then be drawn back into the engine's intake system through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve, which can cause engine deposits, reduced performance, and other issues.
By installing a catch can in the crankcase ventilation system, the blow-by gas is directed into the can, which separates the oil and other contaminants from the gas before it is vented to the atmosphere. This helps to reduce engine deposits, improve engine performance, and prolong the life of the engine.
Catch cans are commonly used in high-performance or modified engines, where blow-by gas is more prevalent due to increased cylinder pressures and higher engine speeds. However, they can also be beneficial in stock engines, particularly those that are used in dusty or dirty environments, such as off-road vehicles or heavy equipment.

Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It catches crankcase fumes. The fumes have oil mist, gasoline, & water vapor in it. You only need one if you have Direct Injection, since those fumes would hit the dry back side of the intake valve and never get washed off like it does in Port Fuel Injection (PFI) (Hybrid Mav has PFI, no catch can needed).

Here is ChatGPT's response:

Question to ChatGPT: Why is a catch can sometimes used on car engines?

A catch can, also known as an oil catch can or a crankcase ventilation filter, is used on car engines to prevent oil and other contaminants from entering the intake system.
In a typical engine, a certain amount of blow-by gas escapes from the combustion chamber and enters the crankcase, where it mixes with oil and other contaminants. This mixture can then be drawn back into the engine's intake system through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve, which can cause engine deposits, reduced performance, and other issues.
By installing a catch can in the crankcase ventilation system, the blow-by gas is directed into the can, which separates the oil and other contaminants from the gas before it is vented to the atmosphere. This helps to reduce engine deposits, improve engine performance, and prolong the life of the engine.
Catch cans are commonly used in high-performance or modified engines, where blow-by gas is more prevalent due to increased cylinder pressures and higher engine speeds. However, they can also be beneficial in stock engines, particularly those that are used in dusty or dirty environments, such as off-road vehicles or heavy equipment.
I'll have to start getting used to chatGPT to replace Google search. Thanks for the explanation!

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah it actually can effect it. You are keeping more fuel vapor from entering the combustion chamber and Ecoboosts are known for blow by. How significant? I have no idea. But another user on here with 2200 miles on oil with no catch can reported on his analysis alot more fuel in his oil than mine with half the miles as me.
Just thinking out loud here... if there is alot of fuel in the blow by wouldnt that be a good thing to pull back onto the valves and combustion chamber? Seems like it would help clean them and burn off in the engine anyway.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just thinking out loud here... if there is alot of fuel in the blow by wouldnt that be a good thing to pull back onto the valves and combustion chamber? Seems like it would help clean them and burn off in the engine anyway.
No, because there is too much carbon soot and oil mist hitting those intake valves. Sticky stuff.

The PCV valve thingie is there for pollution control, pulling partially-combustible vapors & mist in to get a chance at getting burned up properly instead of just dumped into the ambient air & your lungs.

It's not a good thing to do with Direct Injected (DI)engines since the intake valve doesn't get washed all the time with a spray of gasoline as you drive. Also note DI produces carbon soot like diesels do.

The oil mist and carbon soot particles in the PCV flow collects on the back of the intake valve, looking gnarly after a while.
(Port Fuel Injection (Maverick Hybrid) washes shee-at off the back of those valves nicely, BTW.)

In the picture below, the "carbon" deposits are really carbon soot glued together with motor oil compounds.
Ford Maverick Oil Analysis Report for 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 EcoBoost w/ tow package and FX4. 5000 miles on truck, 4000 miles on oil. intakevalvedeposits

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey 801,
Would you mind taking a video of next time you dump your catch can? I would be interested in seeing exactly what and how much you get in there. You seem to be getting an abnormal amount based on what others are reporting. Thank You!

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, because there is too much carbon soot and oil mist hitting those intake valves. Sticky stuff.

The PCV valve thingie is there for pollution control, pulling partially-combustible vapors & mist in to get a chance at getting burned up properly instead of just dumped into the ambient air & your lungs.

It's not a good thing to do with Direct Injected (DI)engines since the intake valve doesn't get washed all the time with a spray of gasoline as you drive. Also note DI produces carbon soot like diesels do.

The oil mist and carbon soot particles in the PCV flow collects on the back of the intake valve, looking gnarly after a while.
(Port Fuel Injection (Maverick Hybrid) washes shee-at off the back of those valves nicely, BTW.)

In the picture below, the "carbon" deposits are really carbon soot glued together with motor oil compounds.
intakevalvedeposits.jpg
Im well aware of the difference between direct and port injection for fuel washing valves. My comment was about the contents of the catch can. If its mostly fuel and water then you may as well just let it flow through the intake/valves and burn it off in the engine.
Sponsored