Salwans

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Audi A4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What odometer reading should I expect to see when I go to pick up my custom-ordered Mav? If odometer showed 2 miles, I suppose that's not unreasonable. (e.g. driven to fill up the tank, etc.) What about 5 miles? 10 miles? Where would you draw the line?
Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine had 10 miles on it. I inquired about it. The dealer said it had 4 miles on it when they received it. They drove it on a 4-5 mile loop for QC check. They had a note on it that said "Keep Locked. Special Customer Order." They said they have to put that on popular models, or people just climb in, no matter where they are on the property.

For all I know, they used it to drive to Starbucks. But I accepted that explanation. 10 didn't seem excessive to me.

Sponsored

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
27 seems like it was taken on a test drive or two. They all have a couple of miles just from being move around the factory and then again for transport. Not that it would stop me from taking delivery but that's more than the norm.

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What odometer reading should I expect to see when I go to pick up my custom-ordered Mav? If odometer showed 2 miles, I suppose that's not unreasonable. (e.g. driven to fill up the tank, etc.) What about 5 miles? 10 miles? Where would you draw the line?
I checked with a dealer. The answer was that a new car with 499 miles on it is still considered a new car and the warranty still applies. Mileage of 500 or over is considered a used car.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked with a dealer. The answer was that a new car with 499 miles on it is still considered a new car and the warranty still applies. Mileage of 500 or over is considered a used car.
If I received a special order vehicle with 499 miles on it, I would be unbelievably hot. I'd probably walk away.

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I received a special order vehicle with 499 miles on it, I would be unbelievably hot. I'd probably walk away.
When you have a new car which needs to be worked on for a recall, the dealer may loan you a brand new one till yours is fixed. That's why in some cases it may have more miles on it that one would want. The dealer will make sure the loan car does not exceed 499 miles so he can sell it as a new car. In order for me to buy one with 499 miles on it I better get a great discount or I won't buy it. However, with the Maverick being hot as it is, the dealer no doubt will find someone that will buy it. Mine is ordered so I don't worry about it. I merely answered a question for someone.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you have a new car which needs to be worked on for a recall, the dealer may loan you a brand new one till yours is fixed. That's why in some cases it may have more miles on it that one would want. The dealer will make sure the loan car does not exceed 499 miles so he can sell it as a new car. In order for me to buy one with 499 miles on it I better get a great discount or I won't buy it. However, with the Maverick being hot as it is, the dealer no doubt will find someone that will buy it. Mine is ordered so I don't worry about it. I merely answered a question for someone.
Yes, that would likely be a dealer stock vehicle. I don't think they will have a problem selling a Dealer stock unit with 499 miles or less as new, like you point out. Someone has the option to take it or look at another option. But that would be beyond crazy to do with a custom retail order.

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In late 2004 I was looking for a Mustang with stick and v8 engine. I walked on a lot and they had a white 2004 Cobra. I looked at the sticker and it was 10,000 off normal price (basically at msrp). It had 190 miles on it. I asked what was so special about it being a Cobra. The salesman opened the hood. My words were, "thats a f***ing blower) to than he said, yep 390HP and it has a 6 speed and IRS rear suspension. First one I had ever seen. Guess I did not do my homework and find out what other models Mustangs were built. I bought it. Kept it 12 years. The 190 miles did not bother me. My hybrid XLT had 6 miles on it. My salesman had only driven a Maverick Ecoboost. I let him put 5 more miles on it (with me as a passenger) as a "thank you".

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
I’ve seen ‘new’ cars with up to several thousand miles in a few places I’ve lived over the years. I think it’s one of those state things that prob vary some place to place.

Personally I like to see under 150 or so, preferably under 50. A lot depends on the situation though. Old stock that’s been around awhile or dealer trade that was driven in I wouldn’t expect to see next to nothing on, but custom order or fresh off the truck I would. Now the ones at the other extreme with thousands, that makes me iffy. To me that’s not really new anymore, but still acceptable for a bit better price (prob not happening these days) and titled as new is still preferable to used which is also worth something. One with like 12mi and an identical one next to it with like 2k def aren’t equal units to me though.

Gabbydad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine showed 27 miles but I had an official note from Ford on my windshield saying that my truck was randomly selected to go on a test drive.

IMG_7997.jpg
I had the same!

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When I bought the 2019 Equinox, it had 3,500 miles on it. It had been used as a loaner. The dealer rotated six dealer-ordered vehicles for this purpose. They would then be able to give people a better deal on them.

When the purchase was done, they added that 3,500 miles onto the end of the warranty. I did ask about the car's new/used status and was told that until a car is titled, it's still a new vehicle.

To the OP... There are other threads on here about mileage at purchase. If mine had only a couple of miles on it when I picked it up, I would have been upset. The dealership is the last quality control, before the customer drives off. I expect them to test drive it and so should you.

BTW: Mine had 15.5 on it.