ViperAir

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The amazing part of this story is finding another Maverick at MSRP in two weeks.....
Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well the maverick did well in a crash ... my wife a 2 kids were in an accident (actually when I was away on business)

All the airbags went off and the kids said the worst part about the accident was the smell from the curtain airbags ... so all are totally fine ! (it wasn't her fault)

Truck was totaled but I was able to track down another AWD in Nashville from a friend, in less than 2 weeks and only paid sticker !

We are a little bummed to loose the Cactus ... but the Area 51 will need to do :)

Happy the family is once again rocking the road in a safe vehicle!

tempImageSgSEsI.png

IMG_4319 2.jpg
And some people say the Maverick isn't a real truck but, it can carry parts of itself around.

Seriously, glad everyone is OK.

Reactions: Dad

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought and installed a blinking third brake light on my truck. It causes that third brake light to rapidly pulse or flash upon braking (before remaining solid).

It is supposed to attract the attention of the distracted driver behind you, that you are decelerating. The one I have was purchased from the Kahtec.com web site. This is the 3rd vehicle I have installed this on. The first one was a 2010 Ford Fusion. No rear end collisions so far - knock on wood.
There is pretty much nothing one can do to prevent a distracted driver from rear-ending your vehicle. My 2014 Wrangler has aftermarket LED taillights, the spare tire ring brake light, the 3rd brake light, red halo brake lights on the rear-facing cubes, and the 18" Putco blade light bar on the tailgate and I still got rear-ended by someone who didn't see me stopped waiting to make a left turn.

Since the Jeep is lifted 1" in the rear, her car, which was nose-down under hard braking, went underneath and limited the damage to a slightly bent tailgate, bent right side cube light bracket, and slightly bent rear bumper. Her car was totaled. I showed the responding cop my brake lights and he just shook his head.

Ford Maverick Not my wife.... totaled our Maverick 1.0 but we tracked down another ! 20200617_113128

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad all turned out ok. That Maverick did what it was designed to do and sacrificed itself for your family. Your post should quell anyone's concerns about the safety and construction of the Maverick.

TheQuixotic1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max SEL. 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Makes you wish that the money you pay for the collision detection/avoidance option would make it work for OTHER people's vehicles too.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is pretty much nothing one can do to prevent a distracted driver from rear-ending your vehicle. My 2014 Wrangler has aftermarket LED taillights, the spare tire ring brake light, the 3rd brake light, red halo brake lights on the rear-facing cubes, and the 18" Putco blade light bar on the tailgate and I still got rear-ended by someone who didn't see me stopped waiting to make a left turn.

Since the Jeep is lifted 1" in the rear, her car, which was nose-down under hard braking, went underneath and limited the damage to a slightly bent tailgate, bent right side cube light bracket, and slightly bent rear bumper. Her car was totaled. I showed the responding cop my brake lights and he just shook his head.

20200617_113128.jpg
One of the features I especially like about the Maverick is the large rear tail light assembly. Look around at other new vehicles today and you'll see many have very small taillights. One might say the Maverick's are oversized, but that's one of the features that keeps it a truck and seen at night.
The over cab light is also helpful. I swapped out that brake light with a flashing bulb (three times)

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The over cab light is also helpful. I swapped out that brake light with a flashing bulb (three times)
One of the things I forgot to mention is that the Putco LED taillights have a bright amber sequential turn signal, so that was sequencing while I was stopped waiting to turn. She didn't see any of it until it was too late.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the things I forgot to mention is that the Putco LED taillights have a bright amber sequential turn signal, so that was sequencing while I was stopped waiting to turn. She didn't see any of it until it was too late.
Sounds like you did everything you could to be seen. People are distracting themselves from driving at an alarming rate. I even see people on their phones at every stop light, while walking on busy streets, and parading through parking lots! Good grief! In my mind that is some degree of negligence on their part.

gaken

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot 🌶 Pepper Red Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20200617_113128.jpg

Short of picking a more visible vehicle color to begin with (like school bus yellow), you have done more than enough to avoid being rear ended. After all, school buses get run into, as well as tractor trailers. When a moving driver is on their phone, collisions are inevitable.

I do wish Mavericks had amber rear turn signals. There was an old study that concluded that amber rear turn signal vehicles were something like 25% less likely to be rear ended. There are some European countries that make that feature mandatory on sold vehicles.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It amazes me that people are confused how people will use their phones to their detriment. Drinking and driving being my evidence. There is the capacity to make all phones disabled while the vehicle is moving, as well as making it ONLY possible to use your phone when it is stationary. Hands-free usage is no more dangerous than talking to your passenger, save the dialing part. It should be now and forever be an option only use voice commands to call out. I know I am tossing my million-dollar invention out there but if it saved on life... WTF not?

Sponsored

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am in favor of blocking cell phones while cars are moving. Have you noticed when you come up on a slow moving car on the highway the driver is usually on the phone.

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the protection of this man, someone edit the title to remove the blame from his wife!

Glad everyone is okay and everything worked out. But don't leave this open on your computer with your wife around... :oops:
🤣 I thought the same thing!

D.Pears

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Ram 1500/Maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am in favor of blocking cell phones while cars are moving. Have you noticed when you come up on a slow moving car on the highway the driver is usually on the phone.
Take a look in British Columbia Canada where it is illegal too drive and talk on a cell phone for anyone. You are not even aloud to have any electronic device in your hands while you drive. The police watch very closely and the fines are high.

D.Pears

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Ram 1500/Maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It amazes me that people are confused how people will use their phones to their detriment. Drinking and driving being my evidence. There is the capacity to make all phones disabled while the vehicle is moving, as well as making it ONLY possible to use your phone when it is stationary. Hands-free usage is no more dangerous than talking to your passenger, save the dialing part. It should be now and forever be an option only use voice commands to call out. I know I am tossing my million-dollar invention out there but if it saved on life... WTF not?
You hear so many people scream about their rights.
It seems that the people who choose too drink and drive, or talk on their cellphone are the ones who are screaming the loudest.
Yet, what about the rights of the people who are hurt, or killed by their actions?
The OP's family and the young man on his cell phone were very lucky!
Lucky for the angle of the crash, a strong Maverick and death was busy elsewhere.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am in favor of blocking cell phones while cars are moving.
Yet, unlike the Reddit sub, MTC has no problem allowing posts with photos obviously taken while driving...for no good reason. Circle-jerking MPG-bators, I'm looking at you.
Sponsored

Last edited: