First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is what I found - the mic is a press fit in a fairly crude hole in the headliner:
20211218_084030.jpg

Ignore the zip-tie, just used it to prevent the wiring from falling into the a pillar.

The mic just clips to the grill, and mine was only partially snapped in. I found that even fully snapped in the mic was still loose and would rattle around a bit. Also I found the fabric covering the mic was not installed correctly as it was creased and had gaps on the edges, inside the mic assembly was some headliner lint and dust, and in the plug socket were strings of silicone across the pins likely from whatever supplier makes the mic:
20211218_075817.jpg

I carefully lifted the rubber grommet, then carefully removed and replaced the fabric after clean8ng all the lint and dust out, getting a full tight seal and no creases. I reassembled and finally I split a length of F4 tape and wrapped tightly through the gray grill clips getting a tight no wobble assembly:
20211218_081734.jpg

The space behind the mounting hole is just m/t space, nothing back there excepting the air bag materials on either side of the hole. I reinstalled mine and got a tight fit back into the headliner.

Time will tell if this helps, I may pop it back out and stuff some lightweight insulation in there , but for now it is back to stock.

Thoughts?
Nicely done, methodical, and great pictures! I'll have to keep this is mind when I do get my truck. You've been very helpful!
Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Here is what I found - the mic is a press fit in a fairly crude hole in the headliner:
20211218_084030.jpg

Ignore the zip-tie, just used it to prevent the wiring from falling into the a pillar.

The mic just clips to the grill, and mine was only partially snapped in. I found that even fully snapped in the mic was still loose and would rattle around a bit. Also I found the fabric covering the mic was not installed correctly as it was creased and had gaps on the edges, inside the mic assembly was some headliner lint and dust, and in the plug socket were strings of silicone across the pins likely from whatever supplier makes the mic:
20211218_075817.jpg

I carefully lifted the rubber grommet, then carefully removed and replaced the fabric after clean8ng all the lint and dust out, getting a full tight seal and no creases. I reassembled and finally I split a length of F4 tape and wrapped tightly through the gray grill clips getting a tight no wobble assembly:
20211218_081734.jpg

The space behind the mounting hole is just m/t space, nothing back there excepting the air bag materials on either side of the hole. I reinstalled mine and got a tight fit back into the headliner.

Time will tell if this helps, I may pop it back out and stuff some lightweight insulation in there , but for now it is back to stock.

Thoughts?
Did this solve the noisy microphone issue?

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
20211218_084030.jpg

20211218_075817.jpg

20211218_081734.jpg

Thoughts?
How did your solution work out? Thanks!

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got my maverick xlt. And I have already had two people tell me that when they call me and I am on the freeway that the car phone sounds terrible. And that it sounds like I am driving with the window down. When I am in town it seems to be fine. I don’t have this problem with my Bronco sport. Just wondering if anyone else has had this complaint. Or if mine is bad.
You gotta remember the price point of the Maverick, There's always a trade off when you go cheap as Ford has done to keep the cost down

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you read the thread then it doesn't look like cost is the issue but build quality. And the price point start higher then 75% of the new cars out there. That excuse is played out.
The average price of a new car is like 35K so price is the point

Sponsored

SoCal OG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting...my wife said when I called her for the first time that the call was eerily clear/quiet. My phone was hooked up via a cable and using CarPlay. Hopefully, you are able to get it figured out.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And the price point start higher then 75% of the new cars out there.
That's surprising. But is it really true?

Almost every article I read about the Maverick talks about how cheap it is. And when I am out looking at new vehicles all but a very few small sedans seem to priced higher than the Maverick.

It's pretty hard to believe that 75% of new car starting prices are above below the Mavericks.

Last edited:

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did this solve the noisy microphone issue?
How did your solution work out? Thanks!
All reports are that call quality is much much better than before. Some roads still kick up a lot of background noise, but even with that my callers hear me clearly. Sound deadening is still on the work list, but has dropped further down in priority.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
All reports are that call quality is much much better than before. Some roads still kick up a lot of background noise, but even with that my callers hear me clearly. Sound deadening is still on the work list, but has dropped further down in priority.
Thanks. Does the cover pry out of the head liner with a screwdriver or putty knife?

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks. Does the cover pry out of the head liner with a screwdriver or putty knife?
I used a nylon trim tool, wouldn't recommend anything metal with an edge as it would be easy to damage the A pillar. Go slow and it will pop out easy enough. The wiring does not have much slack...

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No I don't think its true more 25% starting price (75% loaded price). But my point is still valid, does that mean the other cars company puts in crappy parts and people are like, oh well its a cheap car, No. People expect things to work when "new". Its not like we having been building cars for 100 plus years, it's unacceptable at any price range.
Ok, sounds like we agree that the Maverick is on the cheaper end of the new car spectrum.

But as for the rest... Yes, I do think manufacturers use cheaper parts in cheaper cars and that people expect that. To twist an old saying, "You don't get what you don't pay for."

And we've been building lots of things for 100 years without reaching 100% perfection. Somebody always gets the chipped cup and has to take it back to be fixed or replaced.

That's just the way it is in the real world.

Randydoc

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
It is not my phone that is the problem. It is when it is running through the car phone. I can hear the other person fine. But they can’t hear me well. When I disconnect my phone from the car phone and go to speaker phone on my phone then the noise stops and the person on the other end says it is fine now. So it has to be in the little microphone in the A pillar.
My wife has a brand new truck and when she calls me it sounds terrible till she parks then sounds fine!!

RTR_Ford

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are there any aftermarket upgrade mics? I get abysmal call quality as well.

Pastor Buggs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lucious
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ok all those suggestions could be valid. I believe its the wind coming into the A
pillar which is proof positive that it happens at highway speeds. I have an xlt with the docile Continental stock tires. (likely not the culprit). I read somewhere about Ford Skimping on Soudproofing and insulation. If you notice you can feel the intense heat from the engine compartment when you open the door to exit yours vehicle coming from the door jamb. My thought is to got to a top end stereo shop an have them remove the mic, create a small soundproof enclosure around it and reinstall it.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

I do business in my vehicle and I am tired of having to pull over to talk to people or put my phone on speaker (which by the way sounds a million times better) so I've been told

Azmkat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm pretty disappointed with the mic also. I've only had the truck a week and have gotten numerus complaints about the "wind tunnel" noise on the calls. I also have a 9 year old Escape, which sounds far superior on a call. I'm hoping someone finds a possible upgrade or a fix. Of course I'll post anything I find.
Sponsored