Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before you burn me at the stake, here me out. ๐Ÿ˜‚
I can see all truck owners rolling their eyes.

I've never owned a truck, so life without a trunk sounds strange. You can toss whatever back there and it's secure, concealed, easily accessible and more importantly....not cluttering up the vehicles interior.

My daughter's karate gear bag, soccer bag, camp chairs, and more are all in my current vehicle's trunk. As well as some tools, power charger, and some other random stuff.

I know some of this stuff will find a home underneath the rear bench. Namely the tools and other things rarely used. (Side note: I wish the rear seat was a two piece design. So I can access underneath one half without disturbing her booster seat.)

Most of my buddies truck's rear floorboards look like my current cars trunk. Lots of random stuff piled in there. I really don't want that.

I know a tonneau cover is probably my best option, but I just don't think it compares to ol' faithful (my trunk).

The built in trunk in the Santa Fe (oops Santa Cruz) and Ridgeline are probably the best of both worlds for me, but I cannot justify the vehicle prices.

I've thought about bolting/chaining in some sort of waterproof chest.

I love the versatility of the bed. That's a huge reason why I'm so excited about this truck.

Anyone else worried about trunk withdrawals? ๐Ÿ˜‚

Or what's your plan to stow your current vehicle's stuff with your Maverick?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
raul shabinguez

raul shabinguez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just wait for the Maverick sedan model to be released at a later date :) Probably the same time as the regular cab long bed...
I deserve that. Lol

Have many months of waiting to disect something doesn't help. I'm sure all of this will be figured out rather quickly once I get my Maverick.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Fe is an SUV, I think you mean Santa Cruz, and that brunk is quite small. As a truck owner, a bed with a hard tonneau is huge a gigantic trunk.

Usually the problem is that the "trunk" is a little bit TOO big (at least on a Dodge Ram), so you may want a bed extender or divider. When the extender is flipped back into the bed, or using a divider, it can make a smaller section you can toss groceries and the like in without worry it will slide far.

Sponsored

Chicora

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
PW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy S-10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have kids who will ride in back, then a tonneau cover is something would be useful. Not required. You'll figure it out.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess this is where I would "+1" this. I have a hard folding/locking tonneau on my Silverado (for the last 15 years) and it has been more trunk than I ever needed. And I could fold the lid up and carry even bigger stuff (not likely to do that with a trunk). I'm looking forward to the more useable/sensible size of the Maverick "trunk" once I have the tonneau cover on.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would the swing out toolbox option from Ford help out? They are available for both sides.
Or would something like this truck bed toolbox meet your needs if or when they become available for the Maverick?

Ford Maverick No Trunk Anxiety tb

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You could also think about a DIY version of something similar to the Decked truck bed storage solution. There are lots of videos on Youtube of folks who have built their own custom solutions.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
Not what I expected because I like women with some junk in their trunk ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
raul shabinguez

raul shabinguez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The swing out toolboxs seem really limited. I'd like to see one in person or a review of it.

A standard truck bed toolbox may be my best option. Should hold more volume and maybe eliminate the need for a tonneau cover.

One reason I'm excited about this truck, is the ability to haul bicycles without the need for a rack or extra steps. A tonneau cover would be an extra step (admittedly an easy one).

Being a critical thinker is a gift and a curse. I can problem solve complicated problems.....or I can create complicated problems. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ญ

I'll have to Google the decked truckbed solution. I'm not familiar with it. I love DIY though.

Not what I expected because I like women with some junk in their trunk ;)
Is that why my car trunk is always full of junk!? ๐Ÿค”

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had several Ridgelines (first gen's), and always considered the bed trunk more of a PITA than anything, pending of course, how you use your truck. If you're hauling loose material such as mulch or dirt/gravel, it was a total pain to clean up afterwards. Also need to plan ahead if you load a bunch of stuff in the bed, and have something you need in the trunk....oops. I hardly ever used it.

I much prefer a "normal" truck bed with a tonneau of some kind.

But as others have said, you'll figure out what works best for you. I'm actually happy the Mav doesn't have a trunk in the back. ๐Ÿค 

RebellaE

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, Lux, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Before you burn me at the stake, here me out. ๐Ÿ˜‚
I can see all truck owners rolling their eyes.

I've never owned a truck, so life without a trunk sounds strange. You can toss whatever back there and it's secure, concealed, easily accessible and more importantly....not cluttering up the vehicles interior.

My daughter's karate gear bag, soccer bag, camp chairs, and more are all in my current vehicle's trunk. As well as some tools, power charger, and some other random stuff.

I know some of this stuff will find a home underneath the rear bench. Namely the tools and other things rarely used. (Side note: I wish the rear seat was a two piece design. So I can access underneath one half without disturbing her booster seat.)

Most of my buddies truck's rear floorboards look like my current cars trunk. Lots of random stuff piled in there. I really don't want that.

I know a tonneau cover is probably my best option, but I just don't think it compares to ol' faithful (my trunk).

The built in trunk in the Santa Fe (oops Santa Cruz) and Ridgeline are probably the best of both worlds for me, but I cannot justify the vehicle prices.

I've thought about bolting/chaining in some sort of waterproof chest.

I love the versatility of the bed. That's a huge reason why I'm so excited about this truck.

Anyone else worried about trunk withdrawals? ๐Ÿ˜‚

Or what's your plan to stow your current vehicle's stuff with your Maverick?
That's my ONE drawback to the Maverick. My camp chairs for watching soccer games will not fit under the back seat, I don't want to have to take them in and out of the vehicle for every game, but I don't want them getting wet and gross hanging out in the bed. My original truck had a truck box up against the cab, but it limited rear visibility a lot. I'll probably just load them each time. (of course, my son is older than your daughter, so I'll only have to do this for a few more years before he leaves for college - EEK)

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Fe is an SUV, I think you mean Santa Cruz, and that brunk is quite small. As a truck owner, a bed with a hard tonneau is huge a gigantic trunk.

Usually the problem is that the "trunk" is a little bit TOO big (at least on a Dodge Ram), so you may want a bed extender or divider. When the extender is flipped back into the bed, or using a divider, it can make a smaller section you can toss groceries and the like in without worry it will slide far.
Or use a 2x6 in the appropriate FlexBed slot.

BullyHayes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The swing out toolboxs seem really limited. I'd like to see one in person or a review of it.

A standard truck bed toolbox may be my best option. Should hold more volume and maybe eliminate the need for a tonneau cover.

One reason I'm excited about this truck, is the ability to haul bicycles without the need for a rack or extra steps. A tonneau cover would be an extra step (admittedly an easy one).

Being a critical thinker is a gift and a curse. I can problem solve complicated problems.....or I can create complicated problems. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ญ

I'll have to Google the decked truckbed solution. I'm not familiar with it. I love DIY though.

Is that why my car trunk is always full of junk!? ๐Ÿค”
I had the swing-out box in my Titan. Great for small-ish things and a lot sturdier than I expected. Still a bit pricey (I paid $190 for mine) and the locking latch on it is a joke. It's NOT for anything of value. Also had the BAK Revolver bed cover (the roll-up, like the one Ford offers.) That was great and well worth every penny (nearly $1k). It's not waterproof, but still rarely got water in it and then only when I was washing the truck. Rain never got in. It locks with the tailgate.
Sponsored