Proflig8tor

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gulfstream / Grumman AA5B
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They also run on mostly coal and natural gas (think where electricity is generated). I understand that the emissions are also largely over stated as they are based on the emissions of an engine at normal operating temperature. Quite often, hybrid engines are not operating that way because they start and stop. Over short distances, the engine does not, or takes a long time, to reach temperature and therefore have higher emissions. Has anyone heard this before?
There is a gigantic gulf between emissions used to charge EV and gas-hybrid & gas vehicles. You are correct that getting emissions systems up to operating temperature is a problem.

To put this in super simple terms: anything with a radiator & exhaust is a problem. Gas engines are only about 25% to 40% efficient at capturing the heat from burning fuel, using that to pump down a piston; converting that to chemical energy to mechanical energy that turns a wheel. All the rest goes out of the vehicle as excess heat, out the exhaust and radiator.

We try various ways to recapture that lost energy. Turbochargers are trying to capture heat energy (in the form of hot expansive gasses) and put that back in as boost on the intake side. Our Hybrid just captures heat energy (translated into mechanical energy and then electrical energy) as well as energy that would otherwise be wasted as heat off the brakes.

Ford Maverick No Plans for Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) Maverick Says Mike Levine 1683231175196

That's the radiator and cooler for the Air Conditioning used in a 1,100 HP Tesla Model S that weighs nearly 5,000 lbs, does 0 to 60 in 1.9, the Qtr Mi in 9 seconds (faster than a quad turbo'd V12 Bugatti that costs $4.3m) and runs 200 miles per hour ... point being, Electric Cars, even crazy fast ones with big air conditioning needs, do not waste heat.

The lack of waste heat is why the Tesla are 98.6% to almost 100% efficient.

Even if they are powered by a coal plant, they are so efficient at using that power that their total emissions are a fraction of what our Hybrids produce.

Then if you measure gas from the source, it takes about 18% of the total energy of the gas to actually deliver it to us, through the supply chain, to the pump.
Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV aren't as efficient as we would think they "should" be.

I read an article breaking down the 3 different Toyota Rav4 vehicles- the regular, Hybrid, PHEV. Money-wise the PHEV was the worst of all of them, (by a few Thousand $$ over 5 years) when considering purchase price and gas money spent. PLUS the PHEV usually have to compromise storage space somewhere for that extra battery.

They said the hybrid was the best.
I'd take a PHEV Maverick. The premium would be fine now that you can get a $7,500 tax credit. I had a Chevy Volt. Great car I hardly ever had to turn on the gas engine as the 58 mile range was adequate to cover my daily commute. I would usually get home with 5-10 miles left. Charged it over night and good to go the next day. So much more convenient than going to the gas station every week I'd only fill up the tiny tank once every 4 months or so. I would go on EV mode for weeks at a time and the engine would have to turn itself on for maintenance cycles. I drive about 1,300 month and the electricity would cost about $150 for the month. If the car wasn't so low to the ground I'd still be driving it. With the price of gas in CA still close to $5 I'm sure the ROI would pencil out in a few years on a PHEV Maverick with a 35 mile range. I'd want one with AWD though and that may be what would tempt me to sell my Maverick.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
escape starts at 32849 CAD and escape phev starts at 47499 CAD. That's over 40% premium for phev.

with the amount of driving that I'm doing it would take over 10 years to break even, not even talking about opportunity cost / car loan interest.

On the other hand hybrid Maverick at no premium over gas version seems like no-brainer to me.
Totally agree the base engine being a hybrid was a no brainer for me and a game changer in the auto industry as every mfg that has a hybrid option charges a premium for it. Amazing that Ford was the first that came with that proposition and not Toyota

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd like a PHEV for the mere fact that it gives you a method to charge the high voltage battery directly if required. Maybe the path forward is to a real BEV.

MvrkECWI

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Crosstrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sign me up for an AWD hybrid in 24, the PHEV in 25, and the EV in 26. Maybe one of them will arrive in my lifetime.

Sponsored

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Original source: Heatmap
Reported by: Ford Authority

Mike Levin said: “There’s no current need for a PHEV. The Maverick Hybrid is incredibly efficient and affordable. The EPA estimates that Maverick Hybrid’s total annual fuel cost is just $1,500.”
Who is Mike Levin?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Totally agree the base engine being a hybrid was a no brainer for me and a game changer in the auto industry as every mfg that has a hybrid option charges a premium for it. Amazing that Ford was the first that came with that proposition and not Toyota
Hybrid and gas only Rav4 are priced the same. Or were a few years back.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have just traded my Maverick in on a 2022 Lightning. So I’m a full electric user now. It is awesome. I will again be one of the first to pull the trigger on a Fully Electric Maverick when it becomes available.

I miss my Maverick, but really enjoy the benefits of the Lightning.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While back they had computer on the maverick I guess was just for testing

Sponsored

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As someone that already has level 2 charging for an EV at the house, I would love a PHEV option for the Maverick with a 30-60 mile EV only range.
Yup. I am in the same boat. The Mrs. has the Model Y and I would love to have a PHEV version of the Mav with AWD. I rarely drive more than 30 miles a day and it all local anyway. PHEV would be great!! We also have Level 2 charging at the house.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just want an AWD Hybrid!!!!!
I admire your enthusiasm on this 👏 however... in the case specifically of Maverick hybrids we already know they can only build enough hybrids to deliver about 1/3rd of the orders placed. Wouldn't adding another variant further reduce the chances of getting a hybrid at all? An AWD version would still use an existing FWD platform, then add rearward components to that to power 1 or both rear wheels.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would agree. PHEV's cost more, and if you drive so little you can get by in EV mode every day, then you don't use enough gas to bother anyway. Doesn't the PHEV Escape start at like $38,000 anyway?

pbrox

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL Mav, 2005 Forester, 2007 R1200GS
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They also run on mostly coal and natural gas (think where electricity is generated). I understand that the emissions are also largely over stated as they are based on the emissions of an engine at normal operating temperature. Quite often, hybrid engines are not operating that way because they start and stop. Over short distances, the engine does not, or takes a long time, to reach temperature and therefore have higher emissions. Has anyone heard this before?
Over 90 percent hydro-electric power here

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From PBS "Nova" television program. Highly respected reporting.

As of 2022 the USA power grid is 18% renewable. 22% nuclear. 60% fossil fuel.

Wait. What? USA electricity, taken as a whole is only 60% fossil fuel, and decreasing every year.

Your ICE vehicle is at least 95% propelled by fossil fuel. The reason it is not 100% is on average, there is some renewable bio-fuel in the mix.
Sponsored