First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
** UPDATE.....transmission line down and employees sent home (9:30) ZERO built today. She DID tell me they built 200 CVT transmissions BEFORE the line was retrofitted (4 wks ago)...they were built before the machines were put on the line for manufacturing quantities.
The 200 were likely made for the Hermosillo tooling try out build (TT) which are likely the trucks that are not to be driven. About 2 to 3 weeks before the line starts in Hermosillo, Sterling will start cranking them out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 200 were likely made for the Hermosillo tooling try out build (TT) which are likely the trucks that are not to be driven. About 2 to 3 weeks before the line starts in Hermosillo, Sterling will start cranking them out.
yes, I believe sterling van dyke transmission plant...will start cranking them out soon...always a hiccup or 2 on new launches...just ask us folks waiting on a BRONCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PS...they DID just put a SECOND shift on her transmission line, they will produce BOTH the maverick CVT hybrid transmission AND the escape CVT transmission (which they have been building for years).

Last edited:

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So they are retooling the factory to make the Maverick's transmission because it's exactly the same as the one they were already making? 🤔
No. I meant your post is spot on. The line had to be retooled, because the Maverick build includes a new generation/redesign of the hybrid powertrain.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
No. I meant your post is spot on. The line had to be retooled, because the Maverick build includes a new generation/redesign of the hybrid powertrain.
Lol, dang, sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were saying it was exactly the same as old one.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing the Maverick hybrid engine CVT likely has a different drive gear ratios and more power for the electric traction motor compared to the Ford Escape. I can't imagine they'd be able to use the exact same one.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ramirez: You expecting him to show?
Gordon: He often doesn't.
Ramirez: Why wouldn't he show?
Gordon: Hopefully... [sips his coffee] ...because he's busy.
Ramirez: Then why do you light it?
Gordon: I just like to remind people he's out there.
???

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aren’t they using the same transmission as the one found in the escape hybrid? I assume if this one is ramping up that facility could still be up and running.
The Maverick uses the updated eCVT ether Ford designed electric motor.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Aren’t they using the same transmission as the one found in the escape hybrid?

(Good discussion follows)
It makes sense to assemble all the hybrid drivetrains on the same line. Ford's press on the Maverick-unique technology limits the changes to two, tightly interacting parts (traction motor rotor and stator), which should fit in the same castings. Molded magnet technology is nothing new, and square wire isn't rocket science, although I have no understanding of how they wind stators in the first place. Changes to final drive gearing are the same as any other differential, as that's the point where the driveline becomes common.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

The Speaker Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51 Lariat Lux CP360 SIBL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It makes sense to assemble all the hybrid drivetrains on the same line. Ford's press on the Maverick-unique technology limits the changes to two, tightly interacting parts (traction motor rotor and stator), which should fit in the same castings. Molded magnet technology is nothing new, and square wire isn't rocket science, although I have no understanding of how they wind stators in the first place. Changes to final drive gearing are the same as any other differential, as that's the point where the driveline becomes common.
Your comment above indicates you may know, but for others, from MWS:
" Square magnet wire is useful where space constraints are concerned. When formed into a coil an equivalent amount of square wire put in a coil can be placed in a tighter coil configuration than the same amount of round wire. This enables engineers to create compact coils and small motors that deliver more power in less space. "

Ford Maverick Update: Maverick eCVT hybrid transmissions have started production coil-wire-dense-pack-round-square

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol, dang, sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were saying it was exactly the same as old one.

Apologies from my end as well. I should have been more clear with my agreement, vice trying to express it in dad-joke form.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could it also be possible those 200 are going to be use in the stock trucks for dealerships?

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Initial ones may be part of automotive press fleet test vehicles.

MavEric

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, 1950 Willys Truck
Your comment above indicates you may know, but for others, from MWS:
" Square magnet wire is useful where space constraints are concerned. When formed into a coil an equivalent amount of square wire put in a coil can be placed in a tighter coil configuration than the same amount of round wire. This enables engineers to create compact coils and small motors that deliver more power in less space. "

coil-wire-dense-pack-round-square.png
Having a larger cross sectional area also decreases losses from eddy currents (skin effect) thereby increasing efficiency and decreasing associated losses with the motor e.g. I²R losses.
Sponsored

Last edited: