First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove my maverick last night for the first time in the dark and I notice going downhill and coasting. It was not going into electric Drive. It’s always worked fine during the day when I drive it so I’m just asking the group if I’m missing something?
Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
The electric drive components of the hybrid are not daylight dependent. The reason for your observation could depend on many factors but the lack of daylight is not one of them.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Running the heat may increase the amount of time the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) runs.
Also, if the truck immediately switches to ICE during gentle driving, try letting off the accelerator pedal twice, then gently re-applying the pedal. That can often make it switch back to Electric mode.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It doesn't go into electric coasting down a hill. That will allow the hvb to be charged. You have to be pressing on the pedal to go into electric.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It doesn't go into electric coasting down a hill. That will allow the hvb to be charged. You have to be pressing on the pedal to go into electric.
Ummm no. It can go into electric mode whenever it feels like it. Down hill, flat, whatever. What's more likely is that OPs battery was low and needed to be charged so the ICE ran.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ummm no. It can go into electric mode whenever it feels like it. Down hill, flat, whatever. What's more likely is that OPs battery was low and needed to be charged to the ICE ran.
Maybe my mistake, but the Guage on my dash only goes into the blue when I press on the pedal? Unless you're counting charging as electric?

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ok. My mistake.
Easy mistake to make. I assume you are talking about the hybrid coach screen on the dash? If so, that's just talking about drive power, not what functional mode the vehicle is in. A little confusing to hybrid newbies I'm sure. I turn all that stuff off, it's just distracting.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Easy mistake to make. I assume you are talking about the hybrid coach screen on the dash? If so, that's just talking about drive power, not what functional mode the vehicle is in. A little confusing to hybrid newbies I'm sure. I turn all that stuff off, it's just distracting.
Yes I admit, I'm a hybrid virgin. But I do like it!

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove my maverick last night for the first time in the dark and I notice going downhill and coasting. It was not going into electric Drive. It’s always worked fine during the day when I drive it so I’m just asking the group if I’m missing something?
It's very likely, especially if you live in a colder climate, and at night, that the engine was warming up. I don't drive very far most days, everything is close to our house, driving more than 10 miles at a time is a rarity. So there have been times where I've driven and the EV stuff didn't even turn on, because the truck wasn't driven long enough to let it warm up. I wouldn't worry. Now if you were driving the truck for an hour, and the EV stuff never turned on, I'd be concerned.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

NO no no no no no no.

You do not.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe my mistake, but the Guage on my dash only goes into the blue when I press on the pedal? Unless you're counting charging as electric?
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Because it is the truth.
If it is green and not white.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ummm no. It can go into electric mode whenever it feels like it. Down hill, flat, whatever. What's more likely is that OPs battery was low and needed to be charged so the ICE ran.
The reverse can also be true.

If the HV battery is FULL the engine will be spinning while going downhill because the regenerative power has to spin the engine as an air compressor to slow you down.

But this is a "fuel cutoff mode". The engine is running, sometimes at a high enough RPM to hear it, and sometimes not, but no fuel is being used. The electric generator is spinning the engine without fuel to create mechanical drag, while at the same time the traction motor at the wheels is now generating power to create electromagnetic drag at the same time. Quite clever.

Dandy Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do you turn it off?
Sponsored