First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually spent a lot of time trying to convince myself to buy a Tacoma, but it just never checked all of the boxes. Thinking about the interior space, the technology, the outdated transmission and engine…the only positive for me was the potential resale value lol.
The total amount that I spent on my XL AWD Maverick could have bought me a used Tacoma with 100k miles on it if I’m lucky.
Sound a lot like me.... I want to like the current Tacoma but so many negatives from my perspective and the only positive is the resale value. I am hopeful for this one though as it seems I won't be able to get a Maverick so this is my next possible option.
Sponsored

Wt267

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I almost bought a new 21 Tacoma TRD sport. The dealer spent too much time making me wait and I had a chance to look through all of the other cars in the showroom with all the tech/creature comforts they offer.

Went back and looked inside the Tacoma and the interior felt like comparable to our 2015 ford explorer.

I get it, you don’t necessarily buy a Tacoma for the interior but I keep cars a long time and didn’t feel like paying a premium for something that was already out of date.

The maverick checks most of my creature comforts and technology boxes, plus the hybrid mpg and lower cost…. Now if I could just get the darn think built

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
True. Doesn't mean that Chrysler wasn't interested in why it was still a popular option. The Windstar never garnered that much attention to warrant Chrysler caring, for example.
That's true. Even the first gen Odyssey (with the doors) didn't really muster much fanfare but the 98 Odyssey was probably the first real competitor to even put a dent in the Chrysler sales back then.

For my money though - it has to be the Pontiac Trans Sport

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When my dad worked for Chrysler back in the late 90s and early 00s, they brought in a Honda van because they wanted to know why it was such a popular option compared to what Chrysler offered. Best they could figure, it came down to five things:
  1. H
  2. O
  3. N
  4. D
  5. A
Functionally and objectively, what Chrysler was selling at the time was a much better van. But for whatever reason, people wanted the Honda because it was a Honda.

I think you see the same thing here. The badge is selling that truck more than the truck is.
Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Chrysler wasn't exactly known for reliability. Really any American brand. Call it stereotyping, but that is why every vehicle I have owned since my first (1989 Tercel hatchback) to my current 2018 Rav4 has been either Toyota or Honda. I have had minimal things replaced other than a carburator on the Tercel and a radiator on my Civic. I'm only jumping on the Ford bandwagon because they came out with an affordable hybrid which also happens to be a truck. My Rav4 gets terrible MPGs and was the main reason I stayed away from the Tacoma.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blows my mind that the Tacoma regularly hits a quarter million + sales per year. It hits the "buy" button for an awful lot of people out there. Journalists regularly trash it as the worst midsize out there. Nobody cares.
People are buying the reputation and not the truck itself. That's my theory at least. Even though the current gen has a ton of quality and reliability issues, people perceive the Tacoma to be super reliable and well built. Perception often triumphs over fact when buying passion products.

Sponsored

MikeMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had a 2019 Tacoma - Now have 23 Maverick XLT + Luxury heated seats/steering wheel, tow package, FX4, cactus grey, insert pick-up bed, can start with my CP on Ford Pass app - more room and funtional space interior - a comparable Taco or Ranger would be about $45 K- Just crested $30K for mine - not as much OR but Tremor might carry that challenge- next Taco will cost a lot mor more - just get the right truck for you - lots of TRDs and even Raptors never see dirt - doesn't make them bad owners, just spending too much

hurrah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2012 Ford F250 6.7 2015 Ford XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The list of things that need to be true for me to trade my tremor (whenever it arrives) for this (whenever it arrives lol)

1. Hybrid or solid enough mpg on the new turbo
2. Better cabin space
3. Much better tech and infotainment
4. Doesn’t look like a transformer
5. Isn’t 50k
My Tremor arrived a month ago and I wouldn't trade it for 6 Toyotas-is 26MPG good enough for you?

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Tremor arrived a month ago and I wouldn't trade it for 6 Toyotas-is 26MPG good enough for you?
yes, it is but that’s not why it’s still in play.

approaching 32k for a tremor is a lot for a budget truck with a lot of plastic inside. The main reason I don’t want an old Tacoma is the old underpowered engine and lacking tech inside.

a next gen Tacoma solves both of those worries and is much closer to a tremor in price than the base hybrid.

hurrah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2012 Ford F250 6.7 2015 Ford XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yes, it is but that’s not why it’s still in play.

approaching 32k for a tremor is a lot for a budget truck with a lot of plastic inside. The main reason I don’t want an old Tacoma is the old underpowered engine and lacking tech inside.

a next gen Tacoma solves both of those worries and is much closer to a tremor in price than the base hybrid.
I'm not anti Toyota-I've had 3 Toyotas and 2 Nissons in years past. Toyota's strength has always been their reliability and resale. I actually priced both as I was not sure I was ever going to get my Mav as it was on order for over a year. I can't speak to the new generation Toyota but the Frontier was not impressive and a 4x4 comparable to the Maverick ran around 44k and a 22 4x4 Toyota crept up on 50k. I've only had my Tremor for about a month and 500 miles but I fell in love with it on the way home from the dealer and like it better every time I drive it. The Mav XLT with the FX4 package would compare well to either the Nisson or Toyota that I looked at so you could save a couple k and the differential then would approach 20k. When my 22 didn't get scheduled I upped the ante and added the Tremor package when I reordered during the Sept portal for no good reason other than I wanted it. I'm happy it worked out the way it did and I'll bet dollars to donuts that when you get yours you will wonder why in hell you ever even thought Toyota!

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not anti Toyota-I've had 3 Toyotas and 2 Nissons in years past. Toyota's strength has always been their reliability and resale. I actually priced both as I was not sure I was ever going to get my Mav as it was on order for over a year. I can't speak to the new generation Toyota but the Frontier was not impressive and a 4x4 comparable to the Maverick ran around 44k and a 22 4x4 Toyota crept up on 50k. I've only had my Tremor for about a month and 500 miles but I fell in love with it on the way home from the dealer and like it better every time I drive it. The Mav XLT with the FX4 package would compare well to either the Nisson or Toyota that I looked at so you could save a couple k and the differential then would approach 20k. When my 22 didn't get scheduled I upped the ante and added the Tremor package when I reordered during the Sept portal for no good reason other than I wanted it. I'm happy it worked out the way it did and I'll bet dollars to donuts that when you get yours you will wonder why in hell you ever even thought Toyota!
Sure, if I end up loving it enough to keep, that's never a bad thing.

However, not sure how you got to 50k? The below not only meets my tremors build, but exceeds it in many other areas.
SR5 build
https://www.toyota.com/configurator...9eQUMiT82JoROuVL4BBoCFaIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

TRD Off Road build
https://www.toyota.com/configurator...9eQUMiT82JoROuVL4BBoCFaIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Many ways to configure near a tremor price, although mine is $32k
Sponsored