Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not BS. Nitrogen is a inert gas that doesnt build up heat like O2(air). It also increases tire life by not promoting tire cracking and crazing. Race cars and HP cars have used it for years since there tires cost about $500 a pop
So, the nitrogen IN the tire prevents cracking and crazing OUTSIDE of the tire. Does it do that by going from the inside to the outside? But . . . I thought the nitrogen would NOT ooze thru.
Fill them with helium instead. You'll just float down the road. :LOL:
Sponsored

Nittany

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Usually a dealer add 😉
Yeah, my dealer initially put a $200 Nitrogen charge on my order. I didn't see it when I placed my order. But somewhere along the way (well before delivery) I spotted it. Called my dealer and had them remove it. Wasn't on my order to Ford, but was something the dealer planned to add after delivery I guess. Anyhow, no real value to having nitrogen in the tires, in my opinion.

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious (and/or stupid), but maybe someone can explain. How do you get 100% nitrogen in the tire? Even if there is 0 air pressure in the tire, there is still air in it. Wouldn't you have to purge the air that's in the tire (somehow create a vacuum perhaps?) before you added the nitrogen? If not, aren't you just adding nitrogen to the air that occupies the space, decreasing the percentage of oxygen, but still leaving oxygen there?

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm curious (and/or stupid), but maybe someone can explain. How do you get 100% nitrogen in the tire? Even if there is 0 air pressure in the tire, there is still air in it. Wouldn't you have to purge the air that's in the tire (somehow create a vacuum perhaps?) before you added the nitrogen? If not, aren't you just adding nitrogen to the air that occupies the space, decreasing the percentage of oxygen, but still leaving oxygen there?
Exactly. You can "dilute" the 18% of "non-nitrogen" by deflating and refilling multiple times, but you're never going to have "pure" nitrogen in that tire.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i find that the nitrogen fill does help a bit with temp swings and pressure changes
According to reports:

Tires with air: For every 10 degrees of temperature drop, tires will drop 1-2 pounds of pressure.

Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen...can't change the laws of physics.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An interesting article on nitrogen in tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/should-i-use-nitrogen-in-my-tires#:~:text=Nitrogen is a gas and,change the laws of physics.

In the conclusion:

"Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we've seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen's benefit."

Some dealers want $200??? 🤯
Sponsored