Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use Nitrox
Some Costco's have free nitrogen at their free air pumps, at least the one in Bradenton, Florida does. What I'd like to know is how can you test if you have nitrogen in the tires of your new vehicle. I suspect some dealers will put regular air in the tires and charge $200 for nitrogen that isn't there.
Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Some Costco's have free nitrogen at their free air pumps, at least the one in Bradenton, Florida does. What I'd like to know is how can you test if you have nitrogen in the tires of your new vehicle. I suspect some dealers will put regular air in the tires and charge $200 for nitrogen that isn't there.
That's part of my objection to the "nitrogen scam"... There is no way to verify the content of the tire, nor the tank from which it is filled. The only way to have "nitrogen-filled" tires is to evacuate all the air first. An no one is doing that - it's pretty much impossible. So at best you might be going from 78% nitrogen to 90% or something like that...

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's part of my objection to the "nitrogen scam"... There is no way to verify the content of the tire, nor the tank from which it is filled. The only way to have "nitrogen-filled" tires is to evacuate all the air first. An no one is doing that - it's pretty much impossible. So at best you might be going from 78% nitrogen to 90% or something like that...
And if someone went through all the steps to insure that the tires are 100% nitrogen filled you would still see no noticeable benefit.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow this thread on the dealer ripoff technique lasted a while. I say use helium. Then when you want to talk in a super high pitch voice just take a swig of helium off your tires.

rknrbt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Speaking of tires, I picked up a nail in one of my Michelins on my Lariat. Ford charged me $53 to repair it. Thought that was kind of high.

Sponsored

TimBru99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas Blue 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 9 years, so this may not surprise you young people. I was changing out the tire valve caps for new Ford ones, and saw that the old caps had the initials NF on them. Found out, after some research , that those initials stood for "Nitrogen Filled". Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Apparently, nitogen in a tire is all kinds of good. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for sure.. Just sayin
The ONE AND ONLY reason nitrogen might be better than simple compressed air is that nitrogen out of a compressed nitrogen cylinder is desiccated (dried) to a dew point of -40°F, which is very dry.

Compressed air from a simple compressor is saturated with moisture.

Air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway.

If you have a dryer on your air compressor it's all the same.

There's no big advantage. It's a gimmick.

TimBru99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

TimBru99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

EIlig

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor/'69 Porsche 911E/'15Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Speaking of tires, I picked up a nail in one of my Michelins on my Lariat. Ford charged me $53 to repair it. Thought that was kind of high.
Why didn't you go to a tire shop?

Mine fixes flats for free if you're a customer. A nominal charge if you;re not hoping to recruit you as a customer

TimBru99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires to preclude expansion of the tires on retractible gear aircraft so that they won't expand in the gear wells causing interference.
It's not the nitrogen so much as it is the fact that the nitrogen is desiccated, and common compressed air (which is 78% nitrogen anyway) is saturated with water vapor, and its the water vapor that is the problem.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Akboy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, Plymouth Prowler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's BS! just a reason to charge more $. Regular air works just fine
Not BS. Nitrogen is a inert gas that doesnt build up heat like O2(air). It also increases tire life by not promoting tire cracking and crazing. Race cars and HP cars have used it for years since there tires cost about $500 a pop

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nitrogen is one of the largest molecules in the air we breathe, and guess what, we breathe in is 78% nitrogen. The larger molecule leaks less, and has results in more stable pressures between hot & cold. - Which is why they use nitrogen in racing, it builds less pressure as the tires heat up.

For a passenger car, just check your tire pressure at least once a month. It's easy enough on the Maverick, as it shows on one of the dash screens. Also consider that over time, the nitrogen percentage in the tire increases, as it's the lighter air molecules which primarily leak out.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't pay for it but there are some benefits over air. However, what's better than nitrogen? Checking your tire pressure monthly.

OP
OP

ziotomasso

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ONE AND ONLY reason nitrogen might be better than simple compressed air is that nitrogen out of a compressed nitrogen cylinder is desiccated (dried) to a dew point of -40°F, which is very dry.

Compressed air from a simple compressor is saturated with moisture.

Air is almost 80% nitrogen anyway.

If you have a dryer on your air compressor it's all the same.

There's no big advantage. It's a gimmick.
Tim, thanks for the info. Tom

rknrbt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why didn't you go to a tire shop?

Mine fixes flats for free if you're a customer. A nominal charge if you;re not hoping to recruit you as a customer
I don't have a tire shop and thought my dealership would be more fair with me. Live and learn.
Sponsored