First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 9 years, so this may not surprise you young people. I was changing out the tire valve caps for new Ford ones, and saw that the old caps had the initials NF on them. Found out, after some research , that those initials stood for "Nitrogen Filled". Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Apparently, nitogen in a tire is all kinds of good. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for sure.. Just sayin
NF is a scam.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's BS! just a reason to charge more $. Regular air works just fine
If
NF is a scam.
My understanding is that the best way to maintain a more constant PSI in your tires is to fill them with ordinary air but dry the air before it goes into the tire. It's the humidity trapped in the air that causes most of the expansion as the tire heats up.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Surprised everyone doesn't know about the bull crap nitrogen move by dealers were they ad a hundred bucks or more for nothing. My bet most don't even put nitrogen in the tire.

Sponsored

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Nitrogen is a key component of a lot of fertilizer- including dealer supplied stuff.
Maybe the Maverick will grow up, if you use Nitrogen; don't blame the dealer for trying...

cneth

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2016 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL, my dealer put the green caps on but who knows if there is actually 'pure nitrogen' in there, and of course tried to upsell me their Nitrogen service. No thank you!

(To refill the tire with Nitrogen they'd have to air it down, then fill with Nitrogen, and I think maybe they might have to do it a few times to get all the 'air' out. Have to wonder if they bother...)

Sponsored

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 9 years, so this may not surprise you young people. I was changing out the tire valve caps for new Ford ones, and saw that the old caps had the initials NF on them. Found out, after some research , that those initials stood for "Nitrogen Filled". Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Apparently, nitogen in a tire is all kinds of good. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for sure.. Just sayin
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires to preclude expansion of the tires on retractible gear aircraft so that they won't expand in the gear wells causing interference. Totally unnecessary in cars and trucks.

Moon

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram. Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did the dealer charge you a lot for this? That used to be another gemmick to add on.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Personally, I use the Nitrogen78 option that costs a lot less.

In case you haven't had your coffee yet, air is 78% nitrogen, and it is free.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Surprised everyone doesn't know about the bull crap nitrogen move by dealers were they ad a hundred bucks or more for nothing. My bet most don't even put nitrogen in the tire.
Of course they do! It costs WAY too much money to remove the nitrogen from regular air...

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Testing conducted independently by Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that the benefits of nitrogen in vehicle tires is more theoretical than practical.
There is a benefit. To the PROFIT line on the dealer's spreadsheet.
Sponsored