First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 9 years, so this may not surprise you young people. I was changing out the tire valve caps for new Ford ones, and saw that the old caps had the initials NF on them. Found out, after some research , that those initials stood for "Nitrogen Filled". Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Apparently, nitogen in a tire is all kinds of good. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for sure.. Just sayin
Sponsored

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I haven't bought a new vehicle in over 9 years, so this may not surprise you young people. I was changing out the tire valve caps for new Ford ones, and saw that the old caps had the initials NF on them. Found out, after some research , that those initials stood for "Nitrogen Filled". Could have knocked me over with a feather.
Apparently, nitogen in a tire is all kinds of good. Who'd a thunk it? Not me, that's for sure.. Just sayin
It's BS! just a reason to charge more $. Regular air works just fine

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn’t the regular air we breathe already 78% nitrogen?
Yup.

Fun unrelated fact, there's such a thing as helium hard drives though. Turns out when you jam enough platters in a small enough space and spin them at 7200rpm, aerodynamics actually do start to matter.

Unfortunately, in tires, there just isn't that kind of extreme strain. High nitrogen content tires technically do hold pressure longer... But if a regular tire under normal usage conditions is losing pressure at all in-between inspections there's probably an issue severe enough to make whatever kind of gas you're running meaningless.

Flub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 08
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nitrogen air is cool whatever if offered for free, but don't pay for it. There is zero benefit for normal edd.

Do your own research but bro just keep the tires at recommended pressure with regular air. No problems when you do that.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wonder if its one of those byproduct goods gimmicks. Like a machine that makes purified oxygen and pulls it out out the air, the byproduct is high nitrogen air. Lets get mechanics to sell it!

Jackflash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E GT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nitrogen doesn’t expand and contract as much but air works fine. I get all my tires at Costco and they use nitrogen in all tires.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In theory, it is designed to prevent rust on the rim as the nitrogen-filled tires will have less humidity than the air-filled ones (especially if you live in a humid environment). But I have a buddy that owns a tire shop and he thinks the practical gains are useless. Unless you plan to keep the same rims for 50 years, you won't see any benefit.

That said, Costco adds it for free and will do free top offs. I never say no to free.
Sponsored