Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Saw this in the Mexican Marquee Newspaper -

home Notes Hermosillo Uncertainty at Ford Hermosillo plant due to lack of materials and semiconductors
Uncertainty at Ford Hermosillo plant due to lack of materials and semiconductors
Sep 02, 2021

Ford Maverick News From Ford Mexico 09-02-21 - Recent Chip Shortage At Maverick Plant pantallazo-2021-09-02-a-las-17.00.21-300x191

Source: elimparcial

In Sonora, around 5 thousand vehicles have not been delivered that have already been sold due to the lack of semiconductor chips

HERMOSILLO.- Given the shortage of semiconductor chips in the world and the lack of other materials for the manufacture of automobiles, the uncertainty of a new work stoppage at the Ford Hermosillo plant, which houses around 2,800 employees , grows .

According to workers, on Tuesday afternoon the material did not arrive in time to carry out the work in the manufacturing plant, but yesterday after its arrival they normalized the activities in the evening and morning
shifts.

Last May, the company that operates in the capital of Sonora suspended operations in both shifts for two weeks due to the shortage of semiconductors and its employees were sent home with 75% of their salary.

Since the second quarter of 2021, Ford Motors Company , as well as other car manufacturers and different manufacturing industries have faced problems with the global shortage of chips .
According to the projections made by the directors of the Ford company, this year they would stop producing about 1.1 million vehicles worldwide due to the lack of these materials as a result of the fire that broke out in the Renesas Electronics company that supplies them. in Japan.

The president of the Maquiladora and Export Manufacturing Industry (Index), Gerardo Vásquez Falcón , revealed that around 5 thousand vehicles have not been delivered in Sonora that have already been sold due to the lack of semiconductor chips.

He indicated that the industries that demand these products have raised the costs of transfers from Asia to Mexico from 3,600 dollars to 21,000 dollars in recent months, which has reduced the level of profit and, added to that, they face competition from buyers from other countries offering more money for materials, delaying the scheduled arrival at their destination.
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't know anything about building vehicles.

Can they build them completely or close to it without the chips and then put them in at the end to make a finished vehicle? Or are these hidden within so that would be difficult/costly/impossible?

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
Don't know anything about building vehicles.

Can they build them completely or close to it without the chips and then put them in at the end to make a finished vehicle? Or are these hidden within so that would be difficult/costly/impossible?
That is precisely what they have done with thousands of Bronco Sports. They're built, just sitting there, piling up, some are just waiting on the chips, others are waiting for other reasons, like recalls, tow packages, etc.:
June Builds sitting in the Mexican Desert | 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com

Seems to be Badlands only though, which require a specific chip. This will not impact Maverick production to my knowledge.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Sounds like the Maverick Dream is slowly diminishing .... I hate to say it.. But I truly might have to look elsewhere If I don't get scheduled soon but even then we don't know if it will be built on schedule.
I will have to revisit aternatives, I'm off the next 4 days so I'll be hitting the lots...mainly to see...

OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sounds like the Maverick Dream is slowly diminishing .... I hate to say it.. But I truly might have to look elsewhere If I don't get scheduled soon but even then we don't know if it will be built on schedule.
I will have to revisit aternatives, I'm off the next 4 days so I'll be hitting the lots...mainly to see...
Looking grim especially for Hybrid builds. This article said they are 5000 behind .....

Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking grim especially for Hybrid builds. This article said they are 5000 behind .....
Your statement reads as if they are 5000 hybrids behind.. that's not the case at all.

They are primarily short a specific chip that's required in the Bronco Sport Badlands, that has nothing to do with the Maverick, let alone the Hybrid-Maverick.

Not to mention, if they build 700-800 per day, that's 3500-4000 a week. Doesn't seem like they're that far behind when you look at their actual capacity.. maybe 6 or 7 production days.. not like they're months behind.

Last edited:

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another clif note:

According to workers, on Tuesday afternoon the material did not arrive in time to carry out the work in the manufacturing plant, but yesterday after its arrival they normalized the activities in the afternoon and morning shifts.

We now know they are running two shifts. Both normalized right after supplies came in.. imagine that.

I swear, people will find a way to twist anything and blow right past the actual positive news lol.

OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your statement reads as if they are 5000 hybrids behind.. that's not the case at all.

They are primarily short a specific chip that's required in the Bronco Sport Badlands, that has nothing to do with the Maverick, let alone the Hybrid-Maverick.

Not to mention, if they build 700-800 per day, that's 3500-4000 a week. Doesn't seem like they're that far behind when you look at their actual capacity.. maybe 6 or 7 production days.. not like they're months behind.
How many Hybrids you think they have built ?

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many Hybrids you think they have built ?
If I had to guess, I'd say 35% of whatever the total built is. August's production resulted in 1,297 Mavericks, 35% would be about 454.

These are the numbers Ford gave dealers back on July 31st.

• The Hybrid engine is limited to 35% of August/September/October production for the Maverick
    • The long-term production of 2022 model year will be a 40% mix of Hybrid
    • Currently 100% of hybrid engines will go to fulfill customer orders.

ldog2003

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Ranger XLT, '22 Maverick XLT Lux Ordered
I don't believe any of the chip shortage issues are impacting the Maverick (yet, as far as Ford will admit) so maybe they will stop partially building vehicles they can't finish and ramp up Maverick production that doesn't require the missing chips. One can only hope.

Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe any of the chip shortage issues are impacting the Maverick (yet, as far as Ford will admit) so maybe they will stop partially building vehicles they can't finish and ramp up Maverick production that doesn't require the missing chips. One can only hope.
I agree with you on no impact to the Maverick, but Ford's not going to halt builds that are simply waiting on a chip. They'll send it down the line and it will be built to 99.9% completion, then immediately moved out of the way to wait on the chip. This will not halt or hold up the Maverick production in any way. A vehicle will move down the assembly line at the same pace, whether it's missing a chip or not.

There is a hard end date for building 2021 Bronco Sports though, I believe it is October 29th and they will not start back up on 2022 Bronco Sports until November 11th. That will give them over a week in which they will only be building Mavericks. I assume Bronco Sport builds will wind down towards the end of October, all while Mavericks are ramping up to ensure they're building near capacity.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another clif note:

According to workers, on Tuesday afternoon the material did not arrive in time to carry out the work in the manufacturing plant, but yesterday after its arrival they normalized the activities in the afternoon and morning shifts.

We now know they are running two shifts. Both normalized right after supplies came in.. imagine that.

I swear, people will find a way to twist anything and blow right past the actual positive news lol.
I myself see a lot of positive hidden in all the negative that is trying to block everything out. It's a brand new vehicle with some absolutely positive thinking. I've seen a lot of pictures and videos of actual vehicles! They look great! I'm in for the long haul because there is nothing else like it out there. My dealer told me that it would take a while. I see build dates and congratulate those that have gotten them. I didn't want the eco-boost although I know it's a great engine ( close to what I have in my Focus), so it doesn't bother me if others get theirs first. I see hybrids are scheduled to be built and that number is likely to be increased (might be due to transmission?). I'm thinking I might be next :). If I am then I will hoping that all of you who have not gotten theirs will be next !

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I hate to say it.. But I truly might have to look elsewhere If I don't get scheduled soon but even then we don't know if it will be built on schedule.
I hate to say it, but Ford probably won't miss you. Ford promised deliveries beginning in fall. Even if you get scheduled next week, are you going to be upset if your delivery date is not sometime this year?

You're being an early adopter for a product that was launched during a worldwide shortage of everything and has a dynamically changing situation. If you need a car now or soon, I'd definitely look elsewhere.

As a Ford/Mazda/Honda person, I'd be considering a Maverick only if I had the luxury of being able to wait a long time. I mean, c'mon, you're buying a product that costs tens of thousands of dollars. If it's going to cause you stress and anxiety just waiting for the vehicle, I'd get something else.

I'd be concerned if the vehicle arrives but doesn't live up to your expectations. Even if you walk away with $0 spent, you lusted over something for months only to have the rug pulled out. Or you could buy the vehicle, but have several minor problems and the dealer won't have the parts to fix it right away.

I recently had the slip yoke on my Nissan Frontier crack. It was a warranty repair, but it took a week to get all the parts to the dealership, and the parts were all in stock at various warehouses. Nothing was on regional or national backorder.

I bought my last commute car with a jammed blend door. I bought the car a few months after it was released in the US as an all-new model. I discovered the blend door issue during the test drive (car had 6 miles on it) but I figured it's a warranty repair and wouldn't take too long. It took six months to get the parts in, and that was pre-pandemic.

I'm personally waiting in the background for a year or two, probably until the Maverick's mid cycle refresh, before I consider one.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I hate to say it, but Ford probably won't miss you. Ford promised deliveries beginning in fall. Even if you get scheduled next week, are you going to be upset if your delivery date is not sometime this year?

You're being an early adopter for a product that was launched during a worldwide shortage of everything and has a dynamically changing situation. If you need a car now or soon, I'd definitely look elsewhere.

As a Ford/Mazda/Honda person, I'd be considering a Maverick only if I had the luxury of being able to wait a long time. I mean, c'mon, you're buying a product that costs tens of thousands of dollars. If it's going to cause you stress and anxiety just waiting for the vehicle, I'd get something else.

I'd be concerned if the vehicle arrives but doesn't live up to your expectations. Even if you walk away with $0 spent, you lusted over something for months only to have the rug pulled out. Or you could buy the vehicle, but have several minor problems and the dealer won't have the parts to fix it right away.

I recently had the slip yoke on my Nissan Frontier crack. It was a warranty repair, but it took a week to get all the parts to the dealership, and the parts were all in stock at various warehouses. Nothing was on regional or national backorder.

I bought my last commute car with a jammed blend door. I bought the car a few months after it was released in the US as an all-new model. I discovered the blend door issue during the test drive (car had 6 miles on it) but I figured it's a warranty repair and wouldn't take too long. It took six months to get the parts in, and that was pre-pandemic.

I'm personally waiting in the background for a year or two, probably until the Maverick's mid cycle refresh, before I consider one.
Yea, I'm not asking them to miss me.... Never occurred to me they would.
Second, I'm more for being delivered this year..not next year.. With a scheduled date I have something to make the wait kind of fun...
Third..... We know what they can produce in a day.... But with the embarrassing scheduling yesterday I'd say they are not in full swing yet...
Fourth...My concern is my trade value is falling...and I feel this 100,000 mile Chevy with the AFM system is a ticking time bomb that will cost me $1000's to fix if it decides to implode ...

So do I care if Ford will miss me...NOPE because I do what's best for me..not Ford..

But with all that..I'm still in the Maverick camp...because honestly there is nothing in its lane...The Hyundai is the closes and the dealers are adding crazy addendum's my local Hyundai dealer is adding $3000... if he wasn't I'd might be driving one....might

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Interesting article I guess but as has been mentioned, it's pretty common knowledge that chip shortages have caused delays in other products and since the article has zero bearing on Maverick production....no clue why it would even raise an eyebrow, much less send anyone into a tizzy.
Sponsored