Newbie To The Pickup Lifestyle

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
With the Maverick hopefully being my first pick up, I was hoping some more seasoned people could share some dailying a pick up as an only car tips, for example:

I have a toolbox I take every day to work but keep in my trunk with other misc stuff, would I need to get a locking box for the bed to keep my tools secure? Wouldn't that remove bed space in a (semi) permanent way?

Or the same way I can keep my laptop safe and insulated in my Sedan's trunk, even if I got a bed cover can I expect the contents to be flying around and rubbing all over the metal bed? Should I expect the contents to be more susceptible to cold winters with a less insulated bed?

Having owned a sedan and suv I'm wondering if I'll be cursing when I used to pack cooked family dinner's in the hatch but a cooked roast will arrive a shaken cold brick, ya know life's little grievances 😁

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
My current 2019 Ford Ranger is my first truck after having sedans and CUVs, so I know what you're dealing with. Hopefully I can help.

I have a toolbox I take every day to work but keep in my trunk with other misc stuff, would I need to get a locking box for the bed to keep my tools secure? Wouldn't that remove bed space in a (semi) permanent way?
There are many different types of toolboxes and methods of storage. If you're going to leave the bed open (no tonneau or topper) and live in a "dangerous" area where that's something to worry about, then some of sort of protective storage will be key. Some storage options are easily removable, some sit pretty out of the way, some are more permanent. As long as you get creative, you'll get what you want. And if you can't find it, you can always build something that fits your exact needs, if you're handy. That's essentially what I've done. You could also just put it in the back seat or rear footwell.

Or the same way I can keep my laptop safe and insulated in my Sedan's trunk, even if I got a bed cover can I expect the contents to be flying around and rubbing all over the metal bed? Should I expect the contents to be more susceptible to cold winters with a less insulated bed?
You'll definitely want to secure loose items in the bed. There are simple solutions for that as well. Just some bungees, rope, or netting. I've also done this to secure smaller loose items in the bed of my truck. Again, this is where being creative and handy comes into play.
As far as the cold. The bed of the truck won't end up being any colder than the truck of your car after it's been sitting for hours/overnight. The truck is insulated, but not that well, and the inside will eventually equilibrate with the outside. The only difference is the bed of the truck won't then start to warm up again when you turn on the vehicle.

Having owned a sedan and suv I'm wondering if I'll be cursing when I used to pack cooked family dinner's in the hatch but a cooked roast will arrive a shaken cold brick, ya know life's little grievances 😁
This is a pretty common issue. But if you have the room, just transport it inside the cabin. Transporting it in the bed will surely cause it to cool faster, especially in the winter. When I pick up or transfer hot food while by myself, I usually end up plopping it on the passenger seat and turning on the heated seats. haha

Anyways, the point is there's always a way to get around things and make it work, it's just whether you feel the convenience of having a truck outweighs the hassle of doing those normal activities. It isn't for everybody. A lot of people seem to buy a truck, because they want a truck or because it's the hip new vehicle everybody has, then never use it for truck like things and end up with all the hassle and none of the payoff.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
I like your approach of seeing what I thought would be worries as creative challenges, i might have to start looking at one of those locking boxes, something diamond plate makes any truck look good 👌 I'd like to see a pic of the one you made

the idea of carpeting the bed did cross my mind haha but in that case I hope there's lots of tie down points in the bed

I do agree that there's gonna be some compromises, but I guess that's the same as the sedan being so low to the ground or having to duck my head everytime I go inside in exchange of good handling, and the turkey storage trunk, I'm thinking being escaped based the maverick will be a good in-between

KB8JXO`

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger Edge
Being a 4 door truck. there is always the back seat area to put stuff, unless you have a 3+ family,