brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The braking distance is pretty interesting. 18 foot difference between the Hybrid and 2.0?
Additional braking through regen and lighter config?
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read the Motor Trend review over & find a couple things, first the curb weight of this EB Maverick is 3900lbs! I don't know how it can get that heavy, but with every available option, I guess, that will slow it down a bit, they said using regular gas, will slow it down a bit, & no mention of the modes, so using normal mode, those 3 will put a damper on acceleration. None of us are buying the Maverick for a race vehicle, but we have seen a couple members & other tests that have produced 0-60 times of 6.2-6.6 & 1/4 mile times of 14.8-14.9, THAT is a huge difference from the MT test, putting it much quicker than the hybrid. The best I have seen from a hybrid test is 7.4 & 15.9, which is very impressive for a hybrid/truck, & getting 36-38mpg normal driving is making me think I should have gone with the hybrid model.
I think most of the extra weight is the AWD.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because of the regenerative braking. Slows down quicker.
Additional braking through regen and lighter config?
Thats what I assumed, but 18 feet seemed like a lot. A couple hundred pounds should not make that much of a difference, so it must really be the regen slowing it down. I wonder how that would look in slippery conditions (rain/snow).

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Thats what I assumed, but 18 feet seemed like a lot. A couple hundred pounds should not make that much of a difference, so it must really be the regen slowing it down. I wonder how that would look in slippery conditions (rain/snow).
I did a little research and I take back its not all the regen brakes its actually electric motor regen that works in conjunction with the regen brakes to slow quicker. Actually saves on the brake pads.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did a little research and I take back its not all the regen brakes its actually electric motor regen that works in conjunction with the regen brakes to slow quicker. Actually saves on the brake pads.
They are one and the same. the eCVT through variations in MG1 RPM and rotation direction controls regen. There is really no such thing as regen brakes on these trucks. Its the electric motor resistance that slows the vehicle during regen "braking". Then there are the physical brakes at the wheels like all cars have.

Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
They are one and the same. the eCVT through variations in MG1 RPM and rotation direction controls regen. There is really no such thing as regen brakes on these trucks. Its the electric motor resistance that slows the vehicle during regen "braking". Then there are the physical brakes at the wheels like all cars have.
I stand corrected. Thanx

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone seriously select the Mav model they want based on a drag race? Sure, it's great to see the numbers (which will vary truck to truck, btw...), kind of fun but pretty useless to apply to anything meaningful. With numbers so close, it's a drivers race anyway.

What do you think would happen if Ford offered the Mav with an AWD hybrid w/4K tow?

*THIS* is the (main) reason buyers are choosing the 2.0 over the 2.5; to get AWD & 4K tow.
For sure! Who wouldn't look at the hybrid if towing and awd were available?

However, a lot of people want performance. What would happen if they designed a hybrid system with performance and power as the main consideration? It would kick ass and still be more efficient than than and equivalent ICE vehicle.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I think most of the extra weight is the AWD.
"Base" curb weights according to Ford (assuming XL with no options)
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

Hybrid - 3674 lbs.
EB FWD - 3562 lbs. (112 lbs. lighter than Hybrid)
EB AWD - 3731 lbs. (57 lbs. heavier than Hybrid, 169 lbs. heavier than EB FWD)

It's a shame for the speed demons on this forum that the 4K FWD got axed because it would certainly be the fastest configuration.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Not my chart. It's motortrend's. And it clearly shows that the hybrid (12.5-4.2=8.3) is faster than the EB (12.4-3.5=8.9) from 40 to 80. all the times shown are from zero so the early lead by the EB leads to the faster times.

Yeah, the chart shows the 2.0 is faster from 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-70, 0-80, and 0-90. Lol.

Kinda skeptical of that 45-65 test but it's basically a tie.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided

This isn't possible via physics, unless something else is wearing additionally morseo on the hybrid (the electric regen system)

Sponsored
OP
OP

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This isn't possible via physics, unless something else is wearing additionally morseo on the hybrid (the electric regen system)
Magnets and copper coils don't wear out.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Not my chart. It's motortrend's. And it clearly shows that the hybrid (12.5-4.2=8.3) is faster than the EB (12.4-3.5=8.9) from 40 to 80. all the times shown are from zero so the early lead by the EB leads to the faster times.
While I understand the math you're doing, this chart doesn't show when the EB is shifting. Back when 4AT/5MT cars ruled the earth some cars seemed much faster than their 0-60 times because they had to shift into 3rd to get to that speed while many others could do it in 2nd. Having said that, these tenths of seconds probably won't make much of a difference when you're trying to accelerate or pass.

OP
OP

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the chart shows the 2.0 is faster from 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-70, 0-80, and 0-90. Lol.

Kinda skeptical of that 45-65 test but it's basically a tie.
Offer void in CO

OP
OP

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I understand the math you're doing, this chart doesn't show when the EB is shifting. Back when 4AT/5MT cars ruled the earth some cars seemed much faster than their 0-60 times because they had to shift into 3rd to get to that speed while many others could do it in 2nd. Having said that, these tenths of seconds probably won't make much of a difference when you're trying to accelerate or pass.
Sure there are a some caveats in the data, but there was a bit of talk on the forum a while ago about how the hybrid would be worse than the EB (or downright bad) for merging and passing. This data seems to contradict those assumptions.
Sponsored