Sponsored

New member here. Camper shells/bed caps. Whats the deal with those?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Long time listener, first time caller. My name is Shane and I live out on Maui( the poor side lol). Just a jungle dwelling car nut. Built a few jeeps, fixed and drove alot of junk an jems. Built a sick 400hp 74 Maverick years ago and sold it to move to Maui. Anyways been a pretty active member on Bronco6G and do still want a Bronco however I have never bought a new car and the Bronco I want is expensive so I figure a Maverick might be a good stepping stone into the world of touchscreens and heated buttwipers. Had some car issues yesterday, sucked a face mask into the throttle body of my comanche's 4.0 and my wife welded some jumper cables between our daily drivers. So I have been thinking alot more seriously about getting a new ride so as not to worry about regular issues.

So my first question for yalls little (but lively) community is where are the toppers. They were on the B&P but much like Cleon in The Warriors, I seen em, then they werent there no more? To get a Maverick it will be replacing our full size Bronco or ZJ. Both of which can haul laundry, propane, and water(off grid life) aswell as our 2 dogs. Or our 2 dogs and our 3 nieces and nephew to the beach. To do this for the dogs sake I need a covered top of sorts for the bed. A sealed cap would be ideal. If there are issues with availablilty I cant even get serious about buying one until I know I can have it day one or month one with island shipping times. Any thoughts.

Also does anyone have any leads on a west coast dealer that isnt a rip off and is familiar with vehicle shipping and remote sales. If I buy one out here its a minimum 5 grand markup across the board. Since shipping is $12 to 1500 for the coast that is a big dam hit and also the price of Ford disappearing topper.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone recongnizes me from B6G you will know that I do have alot of insight into the automotive world and life. Also that I like to have fun and keep conversations lively. Glad to be a part of your community.

My top 3 favs about the Maverick are the key, the XLT interior, and the fact that it is a usable sized small truck.
Sponsored

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, I read that one as a lurker. No one seems to be talking about the disappearance though. But thanks.
I hadn't realized it disappeared, but honestly I stopped looking into shortly after seeing the price 😲.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I hadn't realized it disappeared, but honestly I stopped looking into shortly after seeing the price 😲.
The price isnt too bad for me considering shipping to Maui would be 800 to 1000, if it just came on the truck, thats big savings verses buying aftermarket. However if I order from the mainland dealer to avoid the island markup, and that dealer will install a aftermarket top then that could work.

I am excited to see what they make. I would also consider financing a AT Overland Habitat top if they made a mini one for the Maverick.
Ford Maverick New member here. Camper shells/bed caps. Whats the deal with those? DSC_0696_1944x

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
This is not what you're asking for, but I had been searching around for lightweight campers.

This seems pretty interesting and I'm curious what people's thoughts are on it.

edit: I forgot it asked for my email when I wanted to see the price, its about ~$20k depending on options.

This one is cheaper and nicer in some ways

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The trailers are cool, but I have a old horse trailer that I plan to combine with the bed of my comanche once I make a flatbed for it. Then I will build a cool overlanding camp trailer for our beach and mountain camp trips. We also have a RTT which is currently a tree top tent in my wifes fairy garden. Its out guest house lol. Really I just need to make sure I can keep my dogs and laundry dry in the back of the maverick like they are in my Bronco.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they make a Maverick with a shell straight from the factory, but they call it the Explorer! 😁

But seriously, about identical length to a Mav and the base 2.3 ecoboost is basically just the 2.0 ecoboost slightly stroked, so fuel economy will be similar.

Ford Maverick New member here. Camper shells/bed caps. Whats the deal with those? Capture.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think they make a Maverick with a shell straight from the factory, but they call it the Explorer! 😁

But seriously, about identical length to a Mav and the base 2.3 ecoboost is basically just the 2.0 ecoboost slightly stroked, so fuel economy will be similar.

Capture.JPG
You are right but I would have to go up to the timberline to be happy with an exploder. Also would be hard to resist making youtube videos jumping it in the desert:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:! But that would be out of my price range and send me back to the bronco, who's interior is more in tune with my dogs. 2 60lb jungle dogs, laundry, propane tanks, water jugs every week and once a month or so several large trash and recycling cans would not make an explorer happy. My comanche can do all those things but it burns too much oil and chokes my wifes radiation damaged lungs, so she would not be beside me on town runs, which is really our laundry date night. A removable cap on a maverick would solve these issues.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are right but I would have to go up to the timberline to be happy with an exploder. Also would be hard to resist making youtube videos jumping it in the desert:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:! But that would be out of my price range and send me back to the bronco, who's interior is more in tune with my dogs. 2 60lb jungle dogs, laundry, propane tanks, water jugs every week and once a month or so several large trash and recycling cans would not make an explorer happy. My comanche can do all those things but it burns too much oil and chokes my wifes radiation damaged lungs, so she would not be beside me on town runs, which is really our laundry date night. A removable cap on a maverick would solve these issues.

Sounds like Softtopper is also making a soft cap for the Maverick. Might be worth a look if you're looking for a more removeable option.
First person to lend their Maverick to Softopper, gets a free Softopper! | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Long time listener, first time caller. My name is Shane and I live out on Maui( the poor side lol). Just a jungle dwelling car nut. Built a few jeeps, fixed and drove alot of junk an jems. Built a sick 400hp 74 Maverick years ago and sold it to move to Maui. Anyways been a pretty active member on Bronco6G and do still want a Bronco however I have never bought a new car and the Bronco I want is expensive so I figure a Maverick might be a good stepping stone into the world of touchscreens and heated buttwipers. Had some car issues yesterday, sucked a face mask into the throttle body of my comanche's 4.0 and my wife welded some jumper cables between our daily drivers. So I have been thinking alot more seriously about getting a new ride so as not to worry about regular issues.

So my first question for yalls little (but lively) community is where are the toppers. They were on the B&P but much like Cleon in The Warriors, I seen em, then they werent there no more? To get a Maverick it will be replacing our full size Bronco or ZJ. Both of which can haul laundry, propane, and water(off grid life) aswell as our 2 dogs. Or our 2 dogs and our 3 nieces and nephew to the beach. To do this for the dogs sake I need a covered top of sorts for the bed. A sealed cap would be ideal. If there are issues with availablilty I cant even get serious about buying one until I know I can have it day one or month one with island shipping times. Any thoughts.

Also does anyone have any leads on a west coast dealer that isnt a rip off and is familiar with vehicle shipping and remote sales. If I buy one out here its a minimum 5 grand markup across the board. Since shipping is $12 to 1500 for the coast that is a big dam hit and also the price of Ford disappearing topper.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone recongnizes me from B6G you will know that I do have alot of insight into the automotive world and life. Also that I like to have fun and keep conversations lively. Glad to be a part of your community.

My top 3 favs about the Maverick are the key, the XLT interior, and the fact that it is a usable sized small truck.
The Maverick bed is pretty short so I'm looking at campers I can sleep in. Saw one I liked last weekend and called the manufacturer (California) and they will be making them for the Mav "this winter".

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Maverick bed is pretty short so I'm looking at campers I can sleep in. Saw one I liked last weekend and called the manufacturer (California) and they will be making them for the Mav "this winter".
Hey dont worry about the bed being too short. Back in the day they made camper shells for CJ5/7s and Early Broncos. I think the CJ5 model even came with a pair of dolley wheels to keep it balanced lol. Anything is possible with science!
Ford Maverick New member here. Camper shells/bed caps. Whats the deal with those? download

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey dont worry about the bed being too short. Back in the day they made camper shells for CJ5/7s and Early Broncos. I think the CJ5 model even came with a pair of dolley wheels to keep it balanced lol. Anything is possible with science!
download.jpeg
Well, I guess that's one aspect of all this time waiting for my Maverick: Lots of time to research and ponder options. I might even get out my welder and extend a topper to the end of the tailgate. It's been about 9 months, who knows how much time I have left. I could fashion a "mid gate" like on the Chevy Avalanche or..............?
Sponsored