Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe it's "hard to take this point of view seriously" because you didn't understand the actual point of view? I'll try to address some of your misconceptions:

No, I'm not OK with leaking fluids on the road......
I'm fine with the holes. Seems like a simple solution to let fluids escape.
So you are OK with fluids being drained in the road surface. How else could you make this statement and not be?

Maybe take a moment to make sure that you aren't jumping to erroneous conclusions before hurling insults?
Not sure where you read an insult. I was just responding to your post and said it can't be taken seriously. It still can't. This is because you can't in one breath say you're "fine with the holes. Seems like a simple solution to let fluids escape." Then in the next breath say "But I'm NOT OK with removing blinds from the active grill shutters. They are there for a reason. Specifically, the AGS reduces emissions...."

Well if emissions are a general concern of yours, then emitting oil and gas onto the roadway through drilled holes should not be an acceptable solution for you, regardless of how Ford chooses to address the issue of accumulation of underhood fumes. That's all I was calling to attention.

But, you're comfortable with your position on the issue and that's all that matters. No need to explain any further. đź‘Ť

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Under engine covers will not retain fluids because of a leak, they would allow distribution of the fluid over a larger area.
That would depend on the size and severity of the leak.

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
unlucky 17 in 100,000 whose crankshaft does cause the engine to fail, it'll at most seize up and tear itself apart but not catch fire
I’m not sure I’m happy with those odds. I had my previous vehicle have the engine seize up while I was driving and that was no picnic getting it off the road. I get that the engine seizing while driving isn’t going to for sure cause something catastrophic, but this recall ”repair” isn’t really doing anything except strapping a bandaid on and hoping it works

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you are OK with fluids being drained in the road surface. How else could you make this statement and not be?
The recall is about preventing fire in the event of an engine block or oil pan breach.

This is not about being "OK with fluids being drained in the road surface."
If that breach happens, fluids are going to drain on the road whether you drill holes or not.

The question is whether the fluids (and the vehicle) will be on fire at the time.

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
That would depend on the size and severity of the leak.
They are designed to increase under vehicle airflow, they are full of holes and slots for liquids to escape. Add to that, any airflow on the engine side and all you will collect is a smearing on the surface of what ever fluid it is you have leaking.

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux 360 Roof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so far ive been following this post quietly without commenting too much. My understanding is that the quick repair patch recall is supposed to prevent a fire risk. And that there may be another recall for the leak itself at later unkown date, when they will have a new design.. that could take a year of engineering and to produce those new parts. Until then they want us to park the vehicle in the street.. thats what bug me the most. Not everyone can park in the street. Some live in city condo building where they can not park in the street. Other work in city buildings where they can only park underground. There are many owners who also park in their garage to prevent theft. You can't expect everyone to park in the street. My maverick hybrid only has 1500 miles. i doubt there is any accumulation at the moment.
Did ford mention where we should look and clean the area ourself? can we just check the plastic shield cover and use a rag to clean everything until we have an appointment Or something? Im asking because this recall is just a bad timing for me right now and i do have to park the vehicle indoor everyday. If someone could post a video or pictures where to clean until they put holes it can be helpful. Ford can't tell you that because they don't want people to crawl under their vehicle.

im also confused about the sparks causing the fire. Maybe im not reading it right. Is the fire caused by the oil dripping and accumulated somehwere or is it caused by electric components melting and sparking near inflammable?

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until then they want us to park the vehicle in the street.. thats what bug me the most. Not everyone can park in the street. Some live in city condo building where they can not park in the street. Other work in city buildings where they can only park underground. There are many owners who also park in their garage to prevent theft. You can't expect everyone to park in the street.
That isn't what has been said at all.

There are no accidents or injuries associated with this issue and customers do not need to park the vehicle outside.

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux 360 Roof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gone are any regrets I had in choosing the ecoboost over the hybrid.
Initially I had planned to purchase the hybrid Maverick, but during the ordering process my husband sort of gently steered me away from doing so. For the record, I have to admit that he was right, and yes, I am admitting that on a public forum. You're all welcome to show this post to your wives and say "SEE? We're not wrong ALL the time!"

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's pretty much what I would expect. Which is why I asked @MaverickHybrid to get back to us and tell us how it worked out.

I often see posts where people say they are going to do this or that with the dealer, and other posts predicting how it will turn out. But I seldom see posts after the fact reporting how it actually went down.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I suppose you could ask to keep the removed shutters, for spare parts, and then reinstall them yourself.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so far ive been following this post quietly without commenting too much. My understanding is that the quick repair patch recall is supposed to prevent a fire risk. And that there may be another recall for the leak itself at later unkown date, when they will have a new design.. that could take a year of engineering and to produce those new parts. Until then they want us to park the vehicle in the street.. thats what bug me the most. Not everyone can park in the street. Some live in city condo building where they can not park in the street. Other work in city buildings where they can only park underground. There are many owners who also park in their garage to prevent theft. You can't expect everyone to park in the street. My maverick hybrid only has 1500 miles. i doubt there is any accumulation at the moment.
Did ford mention where we should look and clean the area ourself? can we just check the plastic shield cover and use a rag to clean everything until we have an appointment Or something? Im asking because this recall is just a bad timing for me right now and i do have to park the vehicle indoor everyday. If someone could post a video or pictures where to clean until they put holes it can be helpful. Ford can't tell you that because they don't want people to crawl under their vehicle.

im also confused about the sparks causing the fire. Maybe im not reading it right. Is the fire caused by the oil dripping and accumulated somehwere or is it caused by electric components melting and sparking near inflammable?
There is no current "leak" to fix, There is a very, very small chance that your Maverick could have a catastrophic engine failure while on the road, there is an even smaller chance that the engine failure could throw a rod and punch a hole in the motor, thus leaking fuel, oil, coolant out and catching fire from the very hot exhaust system.
The holes in the pan will allow these fluids to drain out, and the removed shutters will ventilate any flammable fumes.
This failure is not going to happen in your garage, but just for arguments sake even if it did happen inside, your exhaust would not be hot enough to ignite the fluids.
Stay Calm and park your Mav in the garage

NNJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Could this and the wire harness/ dead battery problem be the reason my Mav is sitting in the rail yard waiting to go to the dealership? Add the overheated cat issue months ago and I’m wondering if I can trust this vehicle. Last thing any of us want is the horror of being far from home with a vehicle you can’t trust. Built Ford Tough ????
Sponsored