First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This review actually only represents trail crawling. If he was at an SCCA Rallycross, he would be black flagged and asked to leave the course as no one goes that slow. Even in a street tired stock Outback! Love to see a real test of the Mav's actual capabilities at over 2 MPH!

safoutback rxe_image (3).jpeg
Serious question; who do you think is going to rallycross their Maverick? The whole point is to test real world off-roadability, isn't it? I'm not sure how many people are hitting wide sweeping turns at 50mph on their way to camping spots or trailheads. I'm not trying to be snarky, promise, but I'm not really sure what you expected lol.
Sponsored

Duhveedo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Ive had the same tire for almost a week now in the 245/65 size and it’s great

Ford Maverick New Maverick FX4 off-road review with BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A tires [Driving Sports TV] 881A2835-8B7F-4DE1-8259-314E5182CBD6

RM83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm waiting for someone to take their FX4 Maverick out in the dunes and deserts in California for some high speed off roading. Where I live, (SoCal) we don't much rock crawling. It's all about high speed desert running. 😎

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Serious question; who do you think is going to rallycross their Maverick? The whole point is to test real world off-roadability, isn't it? I'm not sure how many people are hitting wide sweeping turns at 50mph on their way to camping spots or trailheads. I'm not trying to be snarky, promise, but I'm not really sure what you expected lol.
What I'd expect is what I said, something over 2 miles an hour. How long would it take you to get to a camping spot or trail head crawling at his "test speed'? The max ever speed allowed at a Rallycross is 60, and even stock Miatas can compete in dirt, mud, and gravel with 2WD without crawling! You know "REAL WORLD"! An AWD FX4 should be much more capable than a 2 MPH exhibition joke!
Ford Maverick New Maverick FX4 off-road review with BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A tires [Driving Sports TV]  rx side osceola 99 silver

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I agree on the speed. I mean I go slow when I am off road but he was going so slow it's like he was trying to get it stuck :) I think part of it was because it was his brand new truck.

The one thing throughout the videos that struck me is - if only he had a manual transmission he'd be out of that little rut in no time, his idea of just giving it gas until you possibly get traction is very strange. Even with an auto you can rock it bit and then hit the gas. Makes me miss when we would go 4 wheeling in the 80s in two wheel drive trucks with manual transmissions.

In the end it made it through the rough section, the rock section was actually more impressive and we can all agree the stock FX4 tires suck.

Now we need a snow test to see how the those pirellis do in the snow....are they just as bad?

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I’m not surprised at all. Tires are always the first place to drastically improve performance be it at the track, off road or fuel optimization. And these trail terrains are a relatively mild all terrain tire. With a bit more aggressive tire and 2 inches of lift, the Maverick will be well suited for some light to moderate off road work.
I agree. You ain't gonna win a 10k wearing dress shoes. Same goes for a vehicle; in my opinion, tires are the best bang-for-the-buck improvement for whatever you want improved.

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I'd expect is what I said, something over 2 miles an hour. How long would it take you to get to a camping spot or trail head crawling at his "test speed'? The max ever speed allowed at a Rallycross is 60, and even stock Miatas can compete in dirt, mud, and gravel with 2WD without crawling! You know "REAL WORLD"! An AWD FX4 should be much more capable than a 2 MPH exhibition joke!
I don't think anyone is expecting to go over the grass in your picture at 2mph, just more difficult obstacles like the ones he was testing in. As you said, if a Miata can do it, do you really need to be shown that the Maverick can drive over some dirt or grass? lol.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So true, I would have gladly paid the extra to option the 235 Falkens on the FX4 rim and not have to change rims to get the most capability from the FX4 rather than hobbling it. We know they will fit, that's how the First Edition comes factory. IMHO marketing failed this one. Options should have been FWD=Conti w/Pirelli option, AWD=Pirelli w/235 Falken option, FX4/FE=235 Falken stock.

Yes, the FX4 package would have probably been a little more expensive - but not double the price of the FX4 package like it is going to cost me another $800 post-purchase to have a proper tire for the package. Luckily, it's the size/utility of the Maverick rather than the low cost that are my main selling points....I think the factory Maverick is just the starter kit, much like my Harley. 😆

Luckily, my wife's RAV4 FWD will be needing tires soon...as i think I'll have an extra set of brand new 225/65R17's Pirelli's laying around. 🙄
Love your analogy, "Maverick is just the starter kit, much like my Harley"!
I was thinking the same thing about my Maverick and all that I want to do, much like I've done with my Harley!

Last edited:

Strobe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2013 BMW M3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you sure you wouldn't be happier in a Prius, Karen? He wasn't off road, he was on a relatively packed trail with an artificial obstacle most would drive around easily, that he need to pull out, but you liked that kind clik bait video being called a "test". Congrats on your discernment! Guess any on track test he will do for you will be in a Walmart parking lot because that's where you will do most of your driving. Good for you, seeing him avoiding all those light poles and carts will show enthusiasts what an AWD FX4 Mav is actually made for! Thanks for your comments. Extremely salient !
Quite a hostile response that didn't seem warranted or provoked.

I feel these tests shown are done specifically to see how the vehicle does on various obstacles to the average untrained person. Yes, you could drive around this made up course, but he wants to see if the Maverick can sort it out on its own. You're picture of higher speed driving is on condsiderably smoother grass/dirt compared to the purpose built tests of rocks and ruts in the video. Apples to oranges comparison along with an attitude. If you drove that pictures Miata at speed over the obstacles in this video you'd be buying some new parts unless it got a lot of aftermarket overbuilt components and skid plating.

MrFletch

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
According to Tire Rack:
FX4 Stock - Pirelli Scorpion ATR 225/65R17 = $187.64/tire
FX4 $800 Wheel and Tire Upgrade = Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 235/65R17 = $176.79/tire

They could have just included the better tires with FX4 across the board for no extra charge. This was a huge mistake on their part. I think most people like the black wheels and there was no reason not to offer the better tire at least optionally.
With supply chain issues all over the planet I suspect Ford elected to have two different tires because it might prove difficult to get more of the good tire, the Wildpeak, for the FX4 trim as a default.

I also believe that's why some other items aren't available on certain trims, or why the 8 inch screen has the weird cubby hole off the the side instead of just mounting a 12 in screen in that space. I would be curious to see how various trims are equipped once things are most normal. *Fingers Crossed!*

Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback

I feel these tests shown are done specifically to see how the vehicle does on various obstacles to the average untrained person. Yes, you could drive around this made up course, but he wants to see if the Maverick can sort it out on its own. You're picture of higher speed driving is on condsiderably smoother grass/dirt compared to the purpose built tests of rocks and ruts in the video. Apples to oranges comparison along with an attitude. If you drove that pictures Miata at speed over the obstacles in this video you'd be buying some new parts unless it got a lot of aftermarket overbuilt components and skid plating.
Actually if you followed the whole thread, I wasn't the initiator of snarky remarks, I've have actually rXed Miata's Fiestas, Focus RSs, Suburus and even a Dodge RT at sites from Tennessee to Homestead and no course has only one level or consistent terrain and weather conditions from flooded courses and rocks that actually flipped an STI and none were as simplistic as in that so called off road test posted. Here's one you can use to compare. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a37911414/porsche-taycan-colorado-alpine-loop/?source=nl

Strobe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2013 BMW M3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually if you followed the whole thread, I wasn't the initiator of snarky remarks, I've have actually rXed Miata's Fiestas, Focus RSs, Suburus and even a Dodge RT at sites from Tennessee to Homestead and no course has only one level or consistent terrain and weather conditions from flooded courses and rocks that actually flipped an STI and none were as simplistic as in that so called off road test posted. Here's one you can use to compare. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a37911414/porsche-taycan-colorado-alpine-loop/?source=nl
I did read the whole thread, and respectfully disagree with your assessment. I did not doubt your experience. I personally don't believe your comparison scenarios apply to what the rest of the thread and review were targeting and then you proceeded to get passive aggressive.

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Ironically enough the rallycross courses Champ is talking about are quite literally made up. Just a bunch of cones in a field lol. Either way, to each his own. I'm not sure why he seems so offended.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

With supply chain issues all over the planet I suspect Ford elected to have two different tires because it might prove difficult to get more of the good tire, the Wildpeak, for the FX4 trim as a default.

I also believe that's why some other items aren't available on certain trims, or why the 8 inch screen has the weird cubby hole off the the side instead of just mounting a 12 in screen in that space. I would be curious to see how various trims are equipped once things are most normal. *Fingers Crossed!*
I think they're overplaying the parts shortage, especially on tires. I have no doubt that's being done to appease some folks who are not too happy about the screen size/ugly cubby and awful tire choice on the FX4.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I think they're overplaying the parts shortage, especially on tires. I have no doubt that's being done to appease some folks who are not too happy about the screen size/ugly cubby and awful tire choice on the FX4.
I can't speak for the OEM's, but the aftermarket is really hurting with shortages. We have customers waiting 4+ months of some lift kits, 12+ months for certain winches, and there are A LOT of tires on back order. Things are set to get worse with the magnesium shortage.
Sponsored

Reactions: bgn