First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to be the voice of reason here. If you live in a rural area with a dirt road or snow or mud this is the perfect vehicle seems to me. But why anyone would willingly take a brand new truck off roading on the weekend seems a bit strange. That's what a 10 year old Tacoma is for. Seems like you are just asking for an expensive repair pushing it out of it's design element. Tires make a huge difference if you need to get through tough terrain - I get it but weekend rock climbing is just a crazy idea in a Maverick
Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'm going to be the voice of reason here. If you live in a rural area with a dirt road or snow or mud this is the perfect vehicle seems to me. But why anyone would willingly take a brand new truck off roading on the weekend seems a bit strange. That's what a 10 year old Tacoma is for. Seems like you are just asking for an expensive repair pushing it out of it's design element. Tires make a huge difference if you need to get through tough terrain - I get it but weekend rock climbing is just a crazy idea in a Maverick
Where would you get 10 year old off road vehicles if people didn't buy new ones? šŸ¤”

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree'd. Camping and stuff like that is really all this truck is meant to do. I wouldn't go over loose rocks the way he did in this video, but it is nice to know it can do it, should I ever be stuck in a bad situation. All in all, this is all the capability I need, and I am not willing to pay more for a truck that can do more. I am aware than I can buy a base truck at a similar price to this one, but I am also not willing to sacrifice the comfort and trim level to comparatively price said truck. This truck is a great deal at any trim level; in the end, that is what sells me on it.[/QUOTE]

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The guy who gave the review didnā€™t seem like he knows what he is doing. Aside from figuring out that his face diaper makes a good bandage.
ps.
the ruts are deeper then ground to axle clearance.
Anything on 4 wheels will have a challenge.
Also the tiers they are better for rocky traversing then loose dirt.
Area 51ā€™s rock by the wayšŸ˜Œ

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
Agree'd. Camping and stuff like that is really all this truck is meant to do. I wouldn't go over loose rocks the way he did in this video, but it is nice to know it can do it, should I ever be stuck in a bad situation. All in all, this is all the capability I need, and I am not willing to pay more for a truck that can do more. I am aware than I can buy a base truck at a similar price to this one, but I am also not willing to sacrifice the comfort and trim level to comparatively price said truck. This truck is a great deal at any trim level; in the end, that is what sells me on it.
[/QUOTE]
Spot on! I have owned real 4wd vehicles throughout my grownup life. Maverick isnā€™t designed for really rough stuff but it is nice to know you have a chance if you underestimate the situation.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The test course he had built is significantly tougher than most forest service roads in Washington state.

The Maverick should be perfect for those use cases and I can't wait to get mine.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The guy who gave the review didnā€™t seem like he knows what he is doing. Aside from figuring out that his face diaper makes a good bandage.
ps.
the ruts are deeper then ground to axle clearance.
Anything on 4 wheels will have a challenge.
Also the tiers they are better for rocky traversing then loose dirt.
Area 51ā€™s rock by the wayšŸ˜Œ
Since you donā€™t think he really knows what he is doing makes me feel even better, should I ever get into a sticky situation with my FX4 that is meant to get me into and out of the whitewater Putin/takeouts around here in KY and TN. šŸ˜Š

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really like his reviews and they highlight some basic ability and functionality. I'd created a thread about the FX4s off-road ability and it quickly just became a bunch of unhelpful people yelling to get a bronco or a Jeep. šŸ™„

This helps though, it'll do exactly what I want it to do, which is get me to trailheads and some out of the way camping and hunting locations. Really happy with the performance vs value. šŸ¤™
Yes, like everything else nowadays seems one extreme or the other - no middle ground. There's a difference between Off-Roading and Soft-Roading (which the Maverick FX4 AWD was more designed to do).

https://www.discounttire.com/blog/soft-roading

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/the-rise-of-the-soft-roader/

If you want a Off-Roader, this is not the vehicle for you - it'll never get there no matter how much you mod it. If the Soft-Roading looks like more your style, this seems to be a great option. This is kind of like the gravel bike category which is very popular now too - and will get me to great spots where I can take my mountain bike out where I'd never take the Maverick!!

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since you donā€™t think he really knows what he is doing makes me feel even better, should I ever get into a sticky situation with my FX4 that is meant to get me into and out of the whitewater Putin/takeouts around here in KY and TN. šŸ˜Š
Thanks but that is my personal opinion of the guy. I could be wrong.

Every vehicle has its limitations. The Mav is in its own category per say. And if the owners intend is to follow the bigger trucks up the mountain or path should consider wheel travel, wheel well clearance bigger tiers this cut down in this clearance and axle to object clearance. If that is short that means that the body will come into contact in lower angles to object

A Ranger is better equipped to deal with if the intended use is to off road.
The all wheel drive is sweet to have for the wet traction and weight distribution, let alone off roading with it too.
Someday the hybrid will have all wheel drive
But we need to be able to buy them first šŸ¤£

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@TheGriffin1313 You're right, he doesn't really know what he's doing offroad. I am a subscriber of his and have watched several of his videos. I like him, he's a regular guy, like @The Weatherman said. And that's good, it adds value for his videos.

As for me saying that he doesn't really know what he's doing, I do have many years of serious offroad experience, and I have attended multiple training classes by I4WDTA certified instructors.

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
This review actually only represents trail crawling. If he was at an SCCA Rallycross, he would be black flagged and asked to leave the course as no one goes that slow. Even in a street tired stock Outback! Love to see a real test of the Mav's actual capabilities at over 2 MPH!

Ford Maverick New Maverick FX4 off-road review with BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A tires [Driving Sports TV] safoutback rxe_image (3)

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be curious how the FWD would handle this. Also, wouldn't the FWD hybrid be better than the turbo because of the torque delivery?

Stevospeedo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
I would have liked the more aggressive tires, but doubling the price for the 4X package didnā€™t seem like a good idea the unique alum wheels was the deciding factor in going with the 4X to begin with. I do like the alloys and they would look great on the Alto blue just couldnā€™t pull the trigger for the extra 8 bills.
According to Tire Rack:
FX4 Stock - Pirelli Scorpion ATR 225/65R17 = $187.64/tire
FX4 $800 Wheel and Tire Upgrade = Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 235/65R17 = $176.79/tire

They could have just included the better tires with FX4 across the board for no extra charge. This was a huge mistake on their part. I think most people like the black wheels and there was no reason not to offer the better tire at least optionally.

artwrangler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X3 | bronco black diamond 4dr on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is kind of like the gravel bike category which is very popular now too - and will get me to great spots where I can take my mountain bike out where I'd never take the Maverick!!
i love the gravel bike analogy! itā€™s right on. i took a similar approach to choosing my truck tires as i did for my gravel bike.
Sponsored