First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m not surprised at all. Tires are always the first place to drastically improve performance be it at the track, off road or fuel optimization. And these trail terrains are a relatively mild all terrain tire. With a bit more aggressive tire and 2 inches of lift, the Maverick will be well suited for some light to moderate off road work.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that was a better representation of what the Mav will do. And an honest look at what it won't. Nice review.

Why didn't they put something like this on in the first place!!!! 😡

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
*****Why didn't they put something like this on in the first place!!!! 😡
In my opinion it's all about dollars. If a car manufacturer can get tire "X" for 50 cents less than tire "Y" and it meets their minimum requirements, tire "X" gets put on the production line.

I had a set of Pirelli tires on a brand new 2013 Mustang, could not stand them anymore after about 15k miles, threw them out and put on a set of Michelins and it made a different (meaning better) car out of it.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice video. Do you think these would be good snow tires?

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm glad he redid the same test with the new tires. Was marginally better. I wish he would have done the test in "NORMAL" mode. Forget the BS and gimmicks.

I will have new meats mounted the day I get mine.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another good review. Maverick did fine.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my opinion it's all about dollars. If a car manufacturer can get tire "X" for 50 cents less than tire "Y" and it meets their minimum requirements, tire "X" gets put on the production line.

I had a set of Pirelli tires on a brand new 2013 Mustang, could not stand them anymore after about 15k miles, threw them out and put on a set of Michelins and it made a different (meaning better) car out of it.
So true, I would have gladly paid the extra to option the 235 Falkens on the FX4 rim and not have to change rims to get the most capability from the FX4 rather than hobbling it. We know they will fit, that's how the First Edition comes factory. IMHO marketing failed this one. Options should have been FWD=Conti w/Pirelli option, AWD=Pirelli w/235 Falken option, FX4/FE=235 Falken stock.

Yes, the FX4 package would have probably been a little more expensive - but not double the price of the FX4 package like it is going to cost me another $800 post-purchase to have a proper tire for the package. Luckily, it's the size/utility of the Maverick rather than the low cost that are my main selling points....I think the factory Maverick is just the starter kit, much like my Harley. 😆

Luckily, my wife's RAV4 FWD will be needing tires soon...as i think I'll have an extra set of brand new 225/65R17's Pirelli's laying around. 🙄

Last edited:

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
******Luckily, my wife's RAV4 FWD will be needing tires soon...as i think I'll have an extra set of brand new 225/65R17's Pirelli's laying around. 🙄
Same size? That's great!

Sponsored

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So true, I would have gladly paid the extra to option the 235 Falkens on the FX4 rim and not have to change rims to get the most capability from the FX4 rather than hobbling it. We know they will fit, that's how the First Edition comes factory. IMHO marketing failed this one. Options should have been Conti=FWD, Pirelli=AWD w/235 Falken option, FX4/FE=235 Falken stock.

Yes, the FX4 package would have probably been a little more expensive - but not double the price of the FX4 package like it is going to cost me another $800 post-purchase to have a proper tire for the package. Luckily, it's the size/utility of the Maverick rather than the low cost that are my main selling points....I think the factory Maverick is just the starter kit, much like my Harley. 😆

Luckily, my wife's RAV4 FWD will be needing tires soon...as i think I'll have an extra set of brand new 225/65R17's Pirelli's laying around. 🙄
I’m thinking the same thing for my RAV4 hybrid, I bought the AWD ecoboost for the Maverick and keeping the RAV @ 34 MPGs.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same size? That's great!
Yup, perfect factory size match and likely an upgrade since it will never see any off-road time.

MaverickTime

Banned
Banned
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Ranger
I'm glad he redid the same test with the new tires. Was marginally better. I wish he would have done the test in "NORMAL" mode. Forget the BS and gimmicks.

I will have new meats mounted the day I get mine.
Are those drive modes not set up for various types of terrain that normal will not handle ? Isnt that is the reason for the FX and AWD in the first place. In my humble opinion it is just right for adventures that the base Mav is unequipt for. No gimmick there, but I would imagine some people would not go for the extra cash for the optional Wildpeaks and alloy wheels available on the XLT model. To each his own I guess.

Lyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Are those drive modes not set up for various types of terrain that normal will not handle ? Isnt that is the reason for the FX and AWD in the first place. In my humble opinion it is just right for adventures that the base Mav is unequipt for. No gimmick there, but I would imagine some people would not go for the extra cash for the optional Wildpeaks and alloy wheels available on the XLT model. To each his own I guess.
I would have liked the more aggressive tires, but doubling the price for the 4X package didn’t seem like a good idea the unique alum wheels was the deciding factor in going with the 4X to begin with. I do like the alloys and they would look great on the Alto blue just couldn’t pull the trigger for the extra 8 bills.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Really like his reviews and they highlight some basic ability and functionality. I'd created a thread about the FX4s off-road ability and it quickly just became a bunch of unhelpful people yelling to get a bronco or a Jeep. 🙄

This helps though, it'll do exactly what I want it to do, which is get me to trailheads and some out of the way camping and hunting locations. Really happy with the performance vs value. 🤙
Sponsored