Sponsored

New Lawsuit Targets Ford EcoBoost Four-Cylinder Coolant Leaks

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Yes, I’m also looking forward to driving my 2.0 AWD Mav with 4K tow. My Ranger is fairly quick for what it is and the Mav should be quicker.
Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I think the consensus at this point is that its a design defect that causes the head gasket to fail at a spot where failure results in coolant leaking into the combustion chamber, this problem always manifests as low coolant (but with no visible leaks, because its all vaporized out the tailpipe) quickly followed by misfires and then "death". I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive about this, your intuition about the head gasket failure is correct, its just that the failure is always at the same spot because of the design.

edit: to be clear, the issue everyone is talking about has been fixed, you wont be seeing the 2.0 with that problem in any mavericks, the 2.0 maverick is 100% going to be a blast to drive and probably way peppier than people expect, especially with the 3.81 ratio in the tow package.
Thanks for the cool head Spaceman!

I have followed this issue and 2 million vehicles fall under the lawsuit umbrella. Ten Technical Service Bulletins issued in regards to it by Ford. Thousands of 4 cylinder turbo failures. BTW, I own a 73 Pinto. Ford's most famous re-call. But I have the wagon which was never recalled and don't lose any sleep.

I hope and think the problem is fixed. Enough that I ordered a 2.0 Mav. But it's still an open deck block so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I would like to get 200K out of it and think I will, then gravy miles after that.

Are you getting 4K tow with 3:81 AWD? I am and it WILL be a blast. Especially on gravel!

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Thanks for the cool head Spaceman!

I have followed this issue and 2 million vehicles fall under the lawsuit umbrella. Ten Technical Service Bulletins issued in regards to it by Ford. Thousands of 4 cylinder turbo failures. BTW, I own a 73 Pinto. Ford's most famous re-call. But I have the wagon which was never recalled and don't lose any sleep.

I hope and think the problem is fixed. Enough that I ordered a 2.0 Mav. But it's still an open deck block so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I would like to get 200K out of it and think I will, then gravy miles after that.

Are you getting 4K tow with 3:81 AWD? I am and it WILL be a blast. Especially on gravel!
I went back and forth on it, the only thing I'd be likely to tow with it is my father in laws J/24 which is 3100 lbs dry (trailer not included) and tall enough that calling it 20sq ft of frontal area is a straight up lie. I really enjoyed the 2.0 in my focus ST and escape. But this vehicle purchase for me isnt for a fun drive (though i bet with 191 hp and efficient power transfer, the hybrid wont be slow, it just also wont be fast) its about getting as practical of a commuter vehicle as I can that can also carry all of my camping/fishing gear. So I went with a FE Hybrid.

I'm sure i'll be jealous of all the sweet 2.0 builds soon enough, and maybe in 2-3 years i'll upgrade to the ranger PHEV so i can carry my gear *and* tow the boat.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
This article is a good read on the 2.0 issues and redesign..

https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/
I've seen a lot to cylinder heads with integrated exhaust manifolds but the description of a stainless liner/sleeve inside the head forming an exhaust manifold is nothing like I have ever seen before. Everything I have seen or worked on just used a 1 piece (head & ex man.) aluminum casting with cast in water jackets for cooling.
I guess there is a first time for anything.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
We had a 2018 Escape with the 1.5EB. at 16k it was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders and throwing a CEL and getting a misfire. Ford could not get a replacement engine for over two months. We ended up trading it for a 19' F150, that was our dealer loaner. LOL

Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lawsuit summary:

=This Alert Affects: Ford drivers who had issues with their car’s 1.5-, 1.6- or 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine.
Which Vehicles Are Affected? 2013-2019 Ford Escapes, 2013-2019 Ford Fusions, 2015-2018 Ford Edges, 2017-2019 Lincoln MKCs, and 2017-2019 Lincoln MKZs.
What Problems Are Being Reported? Overheating, engine damage, smoke from the exhaust pipe, the constant need to replenish coolant, and engine fires.=

Some points to bear in mind:
1. It covers 2013-2019 model year engines. Has Ford done a re-design since 2019? Don't know but kind of doubt it.
2. The U.S. is the most litigious nation in the world.
I think Ford redesigned the 2.0 in 2016. A big problem is water getting into the cylinders…..haven’t heard of Ford doing any modifications…strong reason to get floodesp.com extended warranty (best I have found).

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t think Ford would put a non-improvement engine in the 2022 vehicles. That is what a warranty is for if true. No worries for me.
Back when I worked for GM in the year 2002 they were having problems with valve bodies on 4 L60 transmissions and there was a bulletin about miss machining dating back to 96. I called GM support and they said that they have so many in stock that they needed to get rid of those first before they send out updated parts. Also they figured that most of the issues would not show up until after warranty was gone. I don’t think that Ford would be any different. Especially after seeing late orders being filled way before people that were the first to place them.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, this EB excitement is just diminishing my having a thought about even having an EB.
Seems after 65K miles resale should be way lower because of the characteristics if not taken very well cared for. Might need to prove it too even to expanded insurance companies.

Good luck folks.

Scotty Kilmer seems to have an opinion too!
Sponsored