Sponsored

Need information - In any vehicle, not just a Maverick - What would happen if driver shifted into N while the ABS or VSC was activated?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question came up on social media. By "activated" I mean actively intervening in an emergency.

I have a feeling that it would deactivate the stability control systems and lead to a crash, but I can't find it addressed in any owner's manuals.

My first instinct is that it would violate the "no sudden movements" rule of driving, but I'm looking for statements from manufacturers.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No idea but based on what's been said about shifting during driving, it's programmed to work as intended regardless of shifter position. I guarantee they took meeting about how the ABS would function and it is prioritized to work regardless of user input to the shifter.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

ABS will not interfere with transmission gear selection. As far as stability control systems, the bulk of that is controlled by 2 things brakes(ABS) and throttle reduction/modulation. Maybe cars with the electronic shocks might do a little but thats something else. As far as the throttle control if you are in neutral that point is completely moot as there is no connection from engine to wheels and you cant slow down into a crash that would have been better if you were gunning it(unless you are doing some wild spin manuever that the computer would likely have its mind blown by).

So in N your brake management systems will operate as they always do unless they are turned off. Some vehicles are even designed to do so with out the engine running like in a hybrid or engine failure at speed scenario.
Sponsored