Sponsored

Need Help! Picked up my Maverick today but dealer wants me to pay for dealer installed options after bringing home

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most attorneys will give you an initial consultation, 15 minutes or so, gratis. As will your stateā€™s AGā€™s office. That will give you a baseline from which to start.
Without providing more specifics, any advice given on this sight (with all due respect, guys!) should be taken with the proverbial grain.
Againā€¦ā€¦..Give us more specifics!

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not injecting politics into the thread because this post is party-agnostic. The simple fact about American politics is that politicians can be bought and are routinely bought by the auto dealer lobby. And the dealers buy silence from your local media too (with advertising dollars). Bluntly stated, the slimes we elect to office at all levels of government routinely pass dealer protection laws that throw the car buying public under the bus, and they've been doing it for the better part of a century. They're playing us all for submissive, stupid sheep, and we all go along with it because the dealerships tout how they support our local high school baseball teams.

Watch some of the videos on CarEdge and get angry...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzGxSaDv_5dgSe4RgJ99sfA

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't believe a check is coming, I will fight this, but, in the end, I had to take delivery and I couldn't be more stoked with my truck. Keep in touch, because we may have a similar battle and/or some information to help one another.

Happy St. Maverick's Day!
Actually, many have reported getting a check either directly from Ford, or from their dealer roughly 6 weeks later. I suspect the dealers that are doing things this way are in a financial bind, and can't afford to have even a few thousand dollars hanging in the wind waiting on the 6 week turn-around from Ford, so they put the burden on the customer.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have a signed contract and a bill of sale. Even with our courts, that falls under "too bad." There was a famous case back in the 1990s where a misplaced decimal in a contract resulted in millions of dollars lost. The court's ruling was very simple: "you signed the contract at X amount; pay X amount."

Dealer eats this one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JBillinois

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks y'all and apologies for the delay on details. Some stuff came up in my life.

Attached are pictures of my original 2021 order (showing the original price and dealer options), and the actual receipt and window sticker (both do not state the options they installed before selling to me)

They did not install the bed light and smokers package (I didn't notice in my excitement) but they did install the rest.

The dealer blamed Ford for the lack of special private offer and said I "might get something after the sale from Ford, but not the dealer"

I didn't like the dealer blaming the company. I ordered a Ford from Ford and picked it up from Ford.

Ford Maverick Need Help! Picked up my Maverick today but dealer wants me to pay for dealer installed options after bringing home IMG_20230318_121251626

Ford Maverick Need Help! Picked up my Maverick today but dealer wants me to pay for dealer installed options after bringing home IMG_20230318_121238453

Ford Maverick Need Help! Picked up my Maverick today but dealer wants me to pay for dealer installed options after bringing home IMG_20230318_120805585

Ford Maverick Need Help! Picked up my Maverick today but dealer wants me to pay for dealer installed options after bringing home IMG_20230318_120126107_HDR

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Actually, many have reported getting a check either directly from Ford, or from their dealer roughly 6 weeks later. I suspect the dealers that are doing things this way are in a financial bind, and can't afford to have even a few thousand dollars hanging in the wind waiting on the 6 week turn-around from Ford, so they put the burden on the customer.
Yes, this is true. You CAN get a check from Ford for the private offer after you pay for and pick up your car.

Our dealership ā€” we know and trust the owner ā€” offered to get the check to us after we took the truck home when sales manager couldnā€™t figure out why our private offer wasnā€™t showing up.

We opted instead to let the truck sit on his lot for a few days while we helped him (using info from this forum) to figure it out.

We really did not want to wait for the check ā€” understandably ā€” but in OPā€™s case, since heā€™s already signed the contract and taken possession of the truck, he still SHOULD be able to get that offer in the form of a check.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JBillinois

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another detail to include is that the dealer called me to say it was in and "to come get it sooner rather than later". I picked it up 24 hours after that call.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks y'all and apologies for the delay on details. Some stuff came up in my life.

Attached are pictures of my original 2021 order (showing the original price and dealer options), and the actual receipt and window sticker (both do not state the options they installed before selling to me)

They did not install the bed light and smokers package (I didn't notice in my excitement) but they did install the rest.

The dealer blamed Ford for the lack of special private offer and said I "might get something after the sale from Ford, but not the dealer"

I didn't like the dealer blaming the company. I ordered a Ford from Ford and picked it up from Ford.

IMG_20230318_121251626.jpg

IMG_20230318_121238453.jpg

IMG_20230318_120805585.jpg

IMG_20230318_120126107_HDR.jpg

I would be going after that private offer. I spent 5 days back and forth with my dealer on that issue till they worked on fixing it.

I don't know if I heard of anyone getting private offer after the sale. Would be interested to know it has happened that way for anyone.

twolane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@JBillinois Let's try to get to the bottom of this as simply as possible.

Did the truck come with the options you ordered, already installed(the stickers, door sill plates etc) and they just forgot to charge you for them?

If so, that's their mistake, not yours. Don't paid a red cent unit you have your check in hand. At that point, do the "right thing" and pay for the accessories.
Yeah, they might be nerds, but there's no reason you need to stoop to their level- as long as you get what you're rightfully due.

Think of it like this- the installed accessories are your leverage. We all know the dealer isn't going to do a darn thing to get you that check now that you've left the lot. Let them know as soon as you get your money, they'll get theirs.

Sponsored

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey all, I'm in need of help big time. I ordered my Maverick in October 21, 2021 and just picked it up today. There was no special private offer. No price protection, just the sticker price. I raised the issue to the manager but got nothing.

I took it home and they just called saying they forgot to charge me for the dealer installed options and asked me how I will be paying for those.

I signed the bill of sale. I have it at my house. I'm furious. After 17 months, this is my experience. What the heck?

What are my options?
JB, your Maverick was built specifically for you and reserved under your DL#. Don't let them bully you into paying for items that they decided to add later on their own without your consent.

Check with your atty but IMO basic business law tells me the dealer's order form (Offer) + Your signature (Acceptance) = Contract. Plus you already signed the actual final purchase contract that confirms the price you ordered.

I doubt any judge would rule in their favor. In fact, I bet the dealer's attorney already knows this and does not want to get sanctioned for using public tax money that pays for the judge and courtroom staff to listen to a frivolous lawsuit. Then end up with a public record of a ruling that other buyers might be able to use as case law against their dealer who tries the same bully move.

For those of you worried, if your order form at MSRP meant nothing, it would be the BAIT. Then if the dealer tried to unilaterally make a one-sided decision on some random future price increase or dealer add-ons after you order, that would be the SWITCH. In other words, if your order and DL# reserving you build meant nothing, then the dealer would not call you when your truck arrived and sell it to someone on the lot +15k.

If the dealer pulls a fast one, don't get mad and walk that is probably what they want. Then the dealer has no obligation to you and can sell your Mav to someone else for whatever price they can get.

I bought 2 Mavericks at msrp +$85 doc fee that I show on my channel. CEO Jim Farley publicly announced that ADM's on customer orders are not aceptable. Everyone who orders and waits should also pay msrp.

OP
OP

JBillinois

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, this exactly.

Let's try to get to the bottom of this as simply as possible.

Did the truck come with the options you ordered, already installed(the stickers, door sill plates etc) and they just forgot to charge you for them?

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the OP originally agreed to purchase the dealer installed options that totaled $914 at the prices shown at the top of post 36, they were all installed, however they failed to charge the OP?

He received tailgate letters, a dash cam, stripes, sill covers, and other things that many of us add later, and the prices are not too out of line.

This does not appear to be a situation where a dealer added a bunch of bs options on their own without consent at inflated prices (like nitrogen filled tires for $600, etc.) in order to drive up the Price and margin...

If it were me I would work with the dealer to get the private offer $ and once received, Iā€™d write them a check for the $914

Last edited:

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So they added a spare tire lock for $200?

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I ordered and received my ā€˜22 Lariat Hybrid before all of this ā€œprivate offerā€ stuff came along. So forgive me if Iā€˜ve got this wrong.ā€¦ā€¦.
I thought that the offer was to make up for the difference between the original sticker price and the raise in price that came along later, AFTER one had already ordered AT the the original price.
If Iā€™ve got this right, then it seems to me that you arenā€™t due the offer, since the first sheet displayed shows the purchase price to be $19,995, the ā€œunder $20kā€ advertised price.
Tell usā€¦ā€¦..What was the price that you actually paid?
Truth be toldā€¦ā€¦ā€¦I find that so many pages make this whole deal quite confusing!
Sponsored