2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Really just a curiosity question here: It looks like the EPA dropped the city MPG to 40 for MY23 down from 42 in MY22. Any ideas as to why? Was there a change in testing procedure, or some kind of update to the vehicle that caused this reduction, or perhaps just retested and 2 mpg is within limits of testing precision?

Ford Maverick MY23 EPA city MPG reduction? Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.59.45 AM
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No one knows. It's been asked a few dozen times.

ZachSD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Canyon 3.5L (159k)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A little hypermiling would skew the numbers too, to the upside. I wouldn't give the EPA numbers too much thought. They're pulled under very specific conditions and should be used as a close estimate instead of a hardline result.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one knows. It's been asked a few dozen times.
Reportedly it's due to the aero/thermal effects (longer to warm up) of the underhood fire recall modifications.

Likewise the EcoBoost had a small reduction factoring more optioning for 4k/larger tires.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Guesses only.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really just a curiosity question here: It looks like the EPA dropped the city MPG to 40 for MY23 down from 42 in MY22. Any ideas as to why? Was there a change in testing procedure, or some kind of update to the vehicle that caused this reduction, or perhaps just retested and 2 mpg is within limits of testing precision?

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 10.59.45 AM.png
I understood that it was a result of a reprogramming of Regen braking parameters to fix the "grabby" brake issue. Most likely was someone speculating, but?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Speculation.

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reportedly it's due to the aero/thermal effects (longer to warm up) of the underhood fire recall modifications.
This dosnt match with the change. Highway mileage stayed the same aero changes would affect highway more than city. I think the grabby brake issue might explain the city change.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This dosnt match with the change. Highway mileage stayed the same aero changes would affect highway more than city. I think the grabby brake issue might explain the city change.
The brake changes only matter decelerating <6 mph and the engine probably isn't running then anyways. The missing shutters potentially cause more drag in instances where they would be totally closed and less heat retention when driving on EV. At highway speeds the ICE is mostly running and generating plenty of heat so the shutters are open and missing ones don't affect the aero.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's still likely no change to the trucks.
Just a change in the formula used.
Ford could explain it with one sentence. I wonder more why they have not, than about the actual number.

Have any of you researched other models to see if they slightly changed too in 2023? That would tell a lot.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Maverick Life

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's still likely no change to the trucks.
Just a change in the formula used.
Ford could explain it with one sentence. I wonder more why they have not, than about the actual number.

Have any of you researched other models to see if they slightly changed too in 2023? That would tell a lot.
I have not done further research. Just curious really. I figured there's enough analysts reviewing, measuring, and studying this vehicle that perhaps some theories have surfaced and indeed some have already been covered above.

IMHO 2 mph is pretty inconsequential when you're in the 40-ish range to start with. It's interesting nonetheless to be aware of why the reported number was "nudged."

One thing that could shed more light is when we get more real-world estimates. If you're tracking (or willing to track) this on your own Hybrid Maverick, head over to fueleconomy.gov to report your numbers. Some have been added for the 2022 model but there's not enough data for 2023 yet to be shown online:

Ford Maverick MY23 EPA city MPG reduction? Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 1.37.49 PM

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First year numbers were probably Ford running them through the EPA computer simulation. Now EPA doing the actual model run.

Mightybeast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I do not know what factors drive EPA mpg. I only can talk about my pmg. I drive 39 min to work, 26 miles. My mpg from 52-42. In highway. Now in the city I am getting 62mpg. Based on calculations I should hit 600 miles on the tank.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First year numbers were probably Ford running them through the EPA computer simulation. Now EPA doing the actual model run.
Us early hybrid orders that waited an extra 3 months for Ok To Buy (OKTB) longer than ecoboost. It seems hard to believe EPA wasn't actually doing tests. Otherwise, what was the holdup? Or was that just for emissions and not mpg estimates?
Sponsored