First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well it finally arrived! I have waited excitedly for the last 8 months and the truck finally came in. I will try and break out my experiences so far for the 160 mile drive from Horsham PA to my place in MD. My Dad came up with me to get the truck, so some of the impressions will be his as well.

One of the things that always seems to be subjective in car reviews, and when sharing experiences is how a person perceives the driving experience. Invariably the driver is basing the experience on the vehicles they have driven in the past, or likely the vehicles they drove most recently. For me those vehicles include a 2008 Honda civic (my daily driver) and a 2014 RAV4 (wife/family vehicle). I also rented a Prius (non plugin) to drive up to Horsham PA, mostly because I have never driven a Hybrid and wanted a baseline from what is probably one of the most ubiquitous hybrids around. My Dad drives a 2016 Volvo T5 S60 and a loaded AWD Toyota Sienna.

Driving Impressions

I was really surprised how smooth the hybrid powertrain feels, it's pretty quiet too. My dad also commented on how quiet it was. At 40-60MPH the most dominant sound is the tires, at 70-80 MPH wind noise is what draws your attention most. Even at 70-80 MPH the Maverick cabin stays quieter than either of my current vehicles. I didn't really notice the eCVT drone some have commented on. I wanted a quiet cabin, since I find the noisy cabin of my Civic to be very fatiguing on my work commute. I am very pleased with the lower noise levels in the Maverick compared to my other cars.

The suspension and driving experience is smooth on good roads, but a bit stiff over rougher roads. PA roads are not that great, but we never felt jolted or rattled by the bumps, just an impression of a stiffer suspension compared to my Rav4.

I had a lot of fun with the hybrid side of the powertrain, messing around with the power gauge was pretty entertaining. There is a slight whine from the electric motor, but I had a hard time hearing when the engine kicked on, it's a very smooth transition. If you smash the gas pedal, you can definitely hear the engine, but that's not really how I drive.

A few people have commented on the brakes, they are VERY touchy at slow speeds. I have not experienced the sudden jerk some people have on slow speed stops, but the brake pedal has a very short travel, so it's hard to stop smoothly.

Going from PA to MD, we looped up through Lancaster, and York to enjoy the Amish country side, before coming down through Westminster MD. Starting elevation in Horsham according to a quick google search was 246 feet, final elevation at my home was 751 feet, so an uphill journey. The driving had a pretty good bit of 60-70mph and 70-80 mph driving. We left Horsham right around rush hour, so there was probably about 20 out of the 160 miles that was stop and go or 20-30mph. Average MPG for the trip was about 41 MPG as measured at the pump. I drove like I normally would drive, not really trying to do anything different than my normal driving style.

Interior Impressions
My dad and I really liked the seats, we had a 3.5 hour drive home with a stop mid way for dinner. I was particularly curious how my dad would like them, since he drives a Volvo (with some of the best seats in a car I have experienced) and he was very impressed with their comfort, only saying he wished there was lumbar adjustment. I like the XLT seat fabric a lot. My wife and I have decorated our house using a lot of linen/woven looking fabric and the XLT seat fabric looks like it belongs in our family room.

I don't get all the hard plastic comments reviewers harp on, its plastic so whatever. I did notice that the grab handle has a plastic cover that has some really sharp edges on it. Pretty sure I could cut my finger on the cover if I dragged my finger along the edge. No comments on the infotainment/screen part yet, I did not really use them much since I was driving.

Exterior Impressions
Velocity blue is a great color, really vibrant in the sunlight in a way pictures just cannot pickup on. I did notice that the wheel well liner was not pushed in all the way on the front driver well. I was able to pop it in with a little pressure.

Truck looks better in person than in pictures and has an aggressive tilt forward look, I like it.

Dealer Impressions
I have never seen so many vehicles at a dealership post pandemic than I did at Horsham. The lot is packed like the pandemic and shortages never happened.

I had to set up an appointment and arrived on time, but I still had to wait almost 20 minutes before the finance guy was able to work my deal... And of course a minute before he came in I got a critical call from my work that I could not ignore. Felt really bad asking him to wait, but life happens. Once we started doing the paperwork it was really rushed. I feel like a lot kinda fell through the cracks. Some stuff, like setting up the Ford app and connecting it to the truck never happened. Not a big deal, I'm sure I can figure it out.

One of the sales women was really nice and dropped my rental off at the rental place so I could drive my Maverick there. I gave her a drive back from the rental place to the dealership and we had a nice chat about some of Philadelphia's interesting spots.

Overall I think it was a good experience, if somewhat a hurry up and wait, then rush to the finish-line sort of feeling.

The Deal
Before driving up to Chapman Ford of Horsham, I talked with my salesman and I was given the option of using price protection, or using the Farm bureau $500 credit. The credit came out as the best option for my deal, since my XLT had only increased about $100 since I ordered in August. So I used the Farm Bureau credit and got .9% financing for 36 months. The OTD price actually came out slightly (about $100) lower than I had calculated, so I was happy about that. Horsham honored the original 4% below invoice they had offered when I ordered my Maverick.

Final thoughts
It's definitely been a long wait, but I am extremely pleased with the Maverick. The truck has a very solid feeling to it that would fit a much more expensive vehicle, and none (except that one sharp edge on the grab handle) of the cheapness I would have expected from a $20k car. The hybrid powertrain is very smooth and I think the truck will make a great commuter vehicle, while letting me haul materials from Lowes/HD when needed. I had to get an exterior 36" wide prehung door today. Being able to just hop in the Maverick and get the door, without having to borrow a truck, was a great feeling.

Ford Maverick My XLT Hybrid review and Mini Dealer Review PXL_20220409_222101244

Ford Maverick My XLT Hybrid review and Mini Dealer Review PXL_20220409_222109749

Ford Maverick My XLT Hybrid review and Mini Dealer Review PXL_20220409_222121954
Sponsored

Last edited:

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Very Nice Ride!! Congratulations.

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Enjoyed the review! Great looking truck!
Sponsored