Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome! Are you getting a full wheel turn with no rubbing at that size? I'll probably put all terrains on either when I get my hybrid or when the stock tires wear out.

OP
OP
Jmsmith91

Jmsmith91

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Awesome! Are you getting a full wheel turn with no rubbing at that size? I'll probably put all terrains on either when I get my hybrid or when the stock tires wear out.
No rubbing at all, including when I was off road.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Those tires look great on your Mav.

‘80F100

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 F100, 1996 Ram 2500, 2001 Ranger, 2014 Edge
Post a pic of deer blood in your truck bed and we'll say it happened at the same time 😉
I haven’t gotten a buck yet 😔 I’ve just been seeing little guys. But when I do I’ll make sure to post it.

Sponsored

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm this has me wanting to throw some A/T tires on my hybrid when it gets in just for the looks
Why buy a hybrid FWD and slap A/T tires on it that will also reduce your gas mileage. Buy an EcoBoost.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why buy a hybrid FWD and slap A/T tires on it that will also reduce your gas mileage. Buy an EcoBoost.
You still get the advantage of better traction. And if they're snow rated then that's also an advantage.

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, help me out on the tire size. Awhile back I looked up what snow tires to get for our Maverick (when we finally get it), and read 225/65/17. Will those work or was that info incorrect?

Sponsored

L_Ron_Hoover

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat; hybrid; luxury, locked vault up front
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Forgive me, I can't wait for my hybrid but I'm not a big car guy: why do those tires decrease gas mileage? I assume they require more energy to propel, but not sure why. Is it the tread?

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
The tires are BFGoodrich KO2 245/65 r17 with white lettering. They're slightly bigger than stock but by only about .75 of an inch overall diameter.
From a looks perspective, I think the KO2s have the coolest/most aggressive looking sidewall design. I'd be torn between the KO2s or the Toyo AT3's.

I had KO1s on my F-150 and they were the best sand tires I've used. However, they freakin' sucked in the rain. I'd rather drive on highway tires with 2/32 tread than fresh KO1s.

I'm talking like, I'd spin the tires while barely rolling onto the gas from a stop, occasionally drive doors-first around circular on-ramps, and occasionally slide to a stop. Hopefully the KO2s will serve you better.

People have different wants/needs/desires. Let 'em spend their money as they see fit.

I'd do the exact same thing if I had a hybrid. Slap on a decent set of A/Ts for function as well as for looks. In my opinion, tires are the best bang-for-the-buck item you can purchase to improve what is important to you for a vehicle. Want better gas mileage? Get LRR tires. Want better off-road performance? Get A/T tires.

I used to live out in the country. The road to my house was a mile of gravel and crushed rock. Highway tires would get death by a thousand cuts, so I ran A/Ts on my 2WD trucks.

Forgive me, I can't wait for my hybrid but I'm not a big car guy: why do those tires decrease gas mileage? I assume they require more energy to propel, but not sure why. Is it the tread?
Aggressive tires like all-terrains or mud-terrains are typically more robustly constructed, are heavier in weight, have deeper tread, and/or have more rolling resistance, which all contribute to an increase in NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) and a decrease in fuel economy. To what extent is dependent on a lot of factors.

When I went from the LRR (low-rolling resistance) highway tires to aggressive A/Ts (or mild M/Ts, depending on your perspective) on my Nissan Frontier, I lost about 10% of the fuel economy. The tires also hum noticeably to the point that it sounds like I have four bad wheel bearings.

But it's all a tradeoff. I popped two tires while off-roading, so the hum and fuel economy hits are well worth it to not spend $120 per off road trip to replace a tire that pops or gets ripped open. I don't consider myself an aggressive off-road driver either. I got a 1/2" hole in one tire when I spun a tire on a gravel hill. I ripped another tire open when I spun a tire on a rock and the truck slid sideways a few inches into basically a natural curb with a sharp rock that ripped the sidewall open.

The new off-road tires grip gravel and rock much better than the LRR highway tires, so I don't spin the tires much at all anymore. And even if I do, the new tires have deeper tread blocks and aggressive side-biters (basically tread on the sidewalls) that'll rub on rocks and reduce or prevent damage to the sidewalls themselves.

Last edited:

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bigger = heavier and more rolling resistance.