Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been waiting since Oct. 3, 2021 and am scheduled for production the week of Nov 7th. I finally met someone with a Maverick last week at Menards in Florence, KY. He showed me around and I actually got to "touch" the truck. He had his for 7 months and had nothing to say but good about it. Mine will also be Velocity Blue so we will be in a select category of Maverick owners as the color is discontinued for the MY23. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
Thanks for the encouragement Joe. Yeah, I couldn't believe they discontinued the Velocity Blue. I haven't looked at numbers by color since last November, but at that time VB was one of the most popular colors, so it was confusing to me when Ford dropped it. I've read where there are availability constraints of pigments that caused them to drop it. Who knows for sure.

Glad you got scheduled for November 7. It took them about two weeks to get my truck to me after the build date, but then I live in Texas a short train ride from the Mexican plant.

I hope you like your new Maverick as much as most of us do. It's a great little truck and it's about time. :cool:
Sponsored

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the encouragement Joe. Yeah, I couldn't believe they discontinued the Velocity Blue. I haven't looked at numbers by color since last November, but at that time VB was one of the most popular colors, so it was confusing to me when Ford dropped it. I've read where there are availability constraints of pigments that caused them to drop it. Who knows for sure.

Glad you got scheduled for November 7. It took them about two weeks to get my truck to me after the build date, but then I live in Texas a short train ride from the Mexican plant.

I hope you like your new Maverick as much as most of us do. It's a great little truck and it's about time. :cool:
It's funny but as soon as I replied to your review, Ford sent me an updated email. My production week is now Oct. 31st. It was Oct. 31st two weeks ago, then changed to Nov. 7th and now back to Oct. 31. At least it's now going in my direction.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's funny but as soon as I replied to your review, Ford sent me an updated email. My production week is now Oct. 31st. It was Oct. 31st two weeks ago, then changed to Nov. 7th and now back to Oct. 31. At least it's now going in my direction.
That's fantastic...the sooner the better. Did you order the Hybrid?

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alright brother, I hereby announce that my XL has finally been "built" as of today.
Nothing left but shipping followed by kicking and screaming at the dealership.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright brother, I hereby announce that my XL has finally been "built" as of today.
Nothing left but shipping followed by kicking and screaming at the dealership.
That's great...I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I ordered the hybrid.
That's cool...I didn't have the patience so I tailored my order against the constraints at the time and got mine less than 5 weeks after order.

With gas prices, I envy those patient enough to wait on a hybrid.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Received the Infinity Reference 6432CFX- 4” x 6” and the REF-6532IX 6.5". So, I started to review the videos about pulling panels. I'm thinking I will start with the back speakers tomorrow morning. Then the next day the front door speaker replacement, if the sound matting gets here.

Actually one of the videos I watched this morning showed the guy mounting the Infinity Reference 6432CFX- 4” x 6” directly to the rear speaker mount and not trimming the plastic cone of the speaker mount and he did not put casketing material in front of the speaker. He left a gap that looked to be about 3/8" in front of the speaker. He didn't provide a sampling of the sound and simply said it sounds good. We'll see how that works.

My DSP Amp is about 2-3 weeks out, so I'll not be able to complete the replacement until then. Lots to do until then anyway and that gives me time to see what the speaker replacements sound like on the Ford ACM. Fun stuff and I'm ready to get to it. :cool:

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, the foam speaker gasket material did not arrive last night like it was supposed to, so I'll delay rear speaker install a day, or until it gets here. More later. Still have several things I can do. I can install the sub, and run power and signal cables. I might hook it up temporarily with hi-level inputs from the rear speakers, but the plan is to use the sub out RCAs on the DSP AMP for the signal to the sub.

More later. ;)

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went out about 11:00 AM to check to see if I had some type of casketing material that would work on the rear speaker between the mounting flange and the plastic cone of the speaker grill. Wow, I had something that would work and that's the foam gasket that came with my tonneau cover.

While I was out there checking UPS pulled up with the Kilmat. But, I was excited to get the rear speakers installed before tackling the front speakers or subwoofer. First, I installed Infinity Reference 6432CFX 4" x 6" speakers.
Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664394771683

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664394754495

I did not document the installation with photos because my wife was not available with her phone and there are many "how to's" available here and on YouTube. So this will just be sharing my experiences about the install and the sound of the new speakers.

Here are some thoughts about the installation of the rear speakers.
  • The plastic trim was easier to remove than I thought it would be.
  • The instruction videos available here and on YouTube are priceless and prepared me for the most difficult part.
  • Actually, there was no difficult part and the very top clips of the speaker grill that require pushing up on the clip were not difficult to remove since I was prepared for it. I used a long flat tip screw driver, which worked great.
  • I filled up the cavity of the "C" pillar with poly fill batting but to my surprise, there was filling stuffed down in the bottom 2/3rds of the cavity. it did not take much to fill it up the rest of the way.
  • The speaker mount and grill snapped easily back in place.
  • The large trim piece below the grill was a little more difficult to get in place. Once it was wrestled in place, it easily snapped firm.
  • I bent one clip on the slide in access cover, but I noticed it before breaking it off, straightened it out and the slide in access cover went in easy.
  • And the final piece of the undersea bin trim snapped easily in place.
  • Overall, taking the trim pieces off and putting them back was not difficult.
  • The whole job took me about 2 hours, but I'm 75 years old and work slow.
Here are my thoughts about the sound, keeping in mind I still have only the stock ACM and stock speakers in the front.
  • I had the rear right hand speaker disconnected and the new speaker on the left side in place and checked the sound. I was a little disappointed at first because it sounded thin. I reconnected the original right hand speaker and compared the two. There was a considerable difference, but the two of them together sounded better.
  • I installed both the right and left rear speakers and had poly fill in the cavity on the left and one in the right side cavity was empty, except for the stock filling. Testing it this way, there was a difference in the sound with he poly filled side sounding incrementally better. Not much, but the poly filled side sounded a little better to me. After putting poly fill in the right side "C" pillar, and testing again I was pleased with what I heard.
  • Adjusted the fade and all the sound to the rear and switched back and forth to the right and then to the left speaker several times. This only to test that both worked equally well. No difference and both sound appreciably better than stock.
  • After buttoning every up and all the trim pieces reinstalled, I listened to several different songs. The first was Acoustic Alchemy Back on the Case Album.
  • At first, I was disappointed in the base response on the rear speakers with the fade all the way to the rear. But, because the 4" x 6" frequency response is 75 Hz - 21 kHz, I decided the limitation was probably the cut off of lower frequencies by Ford through the ACM. I'm going to research, but I think I read someplace that using Forscan, the rear audio circuits can changed to put out full range of frequencies. We'll see.
  • I changed the Ford ACM equalizer to full base, almost flat upper range and the mid set in between the full bass (about 3/4 of max) and almost flat upper.
  • I changed the fade and set it half way from the center and the rear (about 3/4 of the max to the rear).
  • Man, did the sound change. The bass of the front of course sounded ok, but the rear speakers filled in the high and mid ranges phenomenally.
  • The clarity of the guitar in the Acoustic Alchemy came alive and the tweeters in the rear Infinities are so much better than the stock tweeters up front or those in the stock rear speakers.
  • Once the sub is installed the low frequency limit on the rear channels will not matter too much (ok, that's speculation that needs testing), depending how I adjust the sub.
  • Once that the front Infinity speakers are installed, the system as a whole will sound much better and fill out all frequencies giving me an almost infinite choices of settings.
I'm excited in hearing just the rears along with about 25% of the front speakers. So much difference that I'm convinced adding the front infinities will improve it much more.

Can't wait to get the front speakers installed, butI will not be able to install them tomorrow. My wife wants me available to help her go through some of her mother's stuff and take to our local Helping Hands charity. It's about time since she passed away in 2017. Although, I understand it's an emotional deal for her. I'm much more pragmatic about such tasks. If it needs to be done, let's get it done.

The DSP Amp is still about three weeks out, but I'll be ready once it gets here and with the Ford T-harness with loop back capabilities, it should be an easy install. I'm hoping that adding the DSP Amp will take care of the limitation of bass to the rear, but again, the sub will take care of the lower frequencies.

But not to get ahead of myself as this upgrade is one of stages. Next up the front speakers and then the Rockville RW68CA sub woofer.

Last edited:
Sponsored

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
More wholesome reviews, please. Good stuff!

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

JamesC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went out about 11:00 AM to check to see if I had some type of casketing material that would work on the rear speaker between the mounting flange and the plastic cone of the speaker grill. Wow, I had something that would work and that's the foam gasket that came with my tonneau cover.

While I was out there checking UPS pulled up with the Kilmat. But, I was excited to get the rear speakers installed before tackling the front speakers or subwoofer. First, I installed Infinity Reference 6432CFX 4" x 6" speakers.
1664394771683.jpeg

1664394754495.jpeg

I did not document the installation with photos because my wife was not available with her phone and there are many "how to's" available here and on YouTube. So this will just be sharing my experiences about the install and the sound of the new speakers.

Here are some thoughts about the installation of the rear speakers.
  • The plastic trim was easier to remove than I thought it would be.
  • The instruction videos available here and on YouTube are priceless and prepared me for the most difficult part.
  • Actually, there was no difficult part and the very top clips of the speaker grill that require pushing up on the clip were not difficult to remove since I was prepared for it. I used a long flat tip screw driver, which worked great.
  • I filled up the cavity of the "C" pillar with poly fill batting but to my surprise, there was filling stuffed down in the bottom 2/3rds of the cavity. it did not take much to fill it up the rest of the way.
  • The speaker mount and grill snapped easily back in place.
  • The large trim piece below the grill was a little more difficult to get in place. Once it was wrestled in place, it easily snapped firm.
  • I bent one clip on the slide in access cover, but I noticed it before breaking it off, straightened it out and tOverhe slide in access cover went in easy.
  • And the final piece of the undersea bin trim snapped easily in place.
  • Overall, taking the trim pieces off and putting them back was not difficult.
  • The whole job took me about 2 hours, but I'm 75 years old and work slow.
Here are my thoughts about the sound, keeping in mind I still have only the stock ACM and stock speakers in the front.
  • I had the rear right hand speaker disconnected and the new speaker on the left side in place and checked the sound. I was a little disappointed at first because it sounded thin. I reconnected the original right hand speaker and compared the two. There was a considerable difference, but the two of them together sounded better.
  • I installed both the right and left rear speakers and had poly fill in the cavity on the left and one in the right side cavity. Testing it this way, there was a difference in the sound with he poly filled side sounding incrementally better. Not much, but the poly filled side sounded a little better to me. After putting poly fill in the right side "C" pillar, and testing again I was pleased with what I heard.
  • Adjusting the fade all the sound to the rear and switched back and forth to the right and then to the left speaker several times. This only to test that both worked equally well. No difference and both sound appreciably better than stock.
  • After buttoning every up and all the trim pieces reinstalled, I listened to several different songs. The first was Acoustic Alchemy Back on the Case Album.
  • At first, I was disappointed in the base response on the rear speakers with the fade all the way to the rear. But, I decided the limitation was probably the cut off of lower frequencies by Ford through the ACM. I'm going to research, but I think I read someplace that using Forscan, the rear audio circuits can changed to put out full range of frequencies. We'll see.
  • I changed the Ford ACM equalizer to full base, almost flat upper ranges and the mid set in between the full bass and almost flat upper.
  • I changed the fade and set it half way from the center and the rear.
  • Man, did the sound change. The bass of the front of course sounded ok, but the rear speakers filled in the high and mid ranges phenomenally.
  • The clarity of the guitar in the Acoustic Alchemy came alive and the tweeters in the rear Infinities are so much better than the stock tweeters up front or those in the stock rear speakers.
  • Once the sub is installed the low frequency limit on the rear channels will not matter too much (ok, that's speculation that needs testing), depending how I adjust the sub.
  • Once that the front Infinity speakers are installed, the system as a whole will sound much better and fill out all frequencies giving me an almost infinite choices of settings.
I'm excited in hearing just the rears along with about 25% of the front speakers. So much difference that I'm convinced adding the front infinities will improve it much more.

Can't wait to get the front speakers installed, butI will not be able to install them tomorrow. My wife wants me available to help her go through some of her mother's stuff and take to our local Helping Hands charity. It's about time since she passed away in 2017. Although, I understand it's an emotional deal for her. I'm much more pragmatic about such tasks. If it needs to be done, let's get it done.

The DSP Amp is still about three weeks out, but I'll be ready once it gets here and with the Ford T-harness with loop back capabilities, it should be an easy install. I'm hoping that adding the DSP Amp will take care of the limitation of bass to the rear, but again, the sub will take care of the lower frequencies.

But not to get ahead of myself as this upgrade is one of stages. Next up the front speakers and then the Rockville RW68CA sub woofer.
Extremely helpful and much appreciated! Maybe the speakers need some break in time, glad the rears sounded better after the adjustments. I except my Mav in December and have ordered the Infinity package to install.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last night drove to pick up pizza at Moe's and had a chance to listen to the new speakers a little more. It's not far to Moe's, but just to get out of our little Lake community takes 10 minutes at least, so I was able to spend about 30 minutes in the XL listening to the new rear speakers. I was disappointed there was not a line of vehicles waiting to pick up their pizzas. :sneaky:

Kept the settings as stated in the installation post above, With the fade still 3/4 to the rear. My oldies and doo wop music sounded good, but we have to remember that even remastered old songs are limited somewhat by the original technology. I was pleased with what I heard.

Always, by Bon Jovi, came on in a shuffle mix and I was blown away by the sound, especially from the rear. I clearly heard parts of the accompaniment that I've not heard before with the stock system. The highs were bright but not over powering and this is with the high ranges set nearly flat. So, the Infinity Speakers are going to be great with the surf sound of the '60s. I could hear the mid ranges and highs so much more clearly than stock. A Beatles song came on with heavy guitar and I was pleased at the clarity of John Lennon's voice and the lead guitar sound being prominent.

It was almost like the fronts were only supporting the rears with mid ranges and a little mid bass. Can't wait to get the front speakers installed and here the differences. The forth coming DSP Amp and it's 6 bands of equalization should be fantastic. :cool:

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mounted the Rockville sub today on the Maverick's B&O mounts. It took quite a while because there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the hole placement on the B&O mount and nothing aligned. Maybe that's just the way B&O designed their sub and Ford made the mount to fit. It took careful measurement to determine hole location and layout them out to drill in the HDPE. After drilling the holes, countersink and determining they will match up to the B&O subwoofer mount, I painted it flat black. After it dried, I mounted the HDPE board and the sub. In the next day or so, after installing the 6.5" front speakers, I'll run the #8 AWG power cable, ground cable, RCA cables, remote wiring, and the sensing power wire. I'll also have to cut some of the mounting screws length off and install some Kilmat on the rear cab wall.

I learned today that the DSP Amp is three weeks to a month out. I'll be glad when it arrives and I can get it installed. I guess that gives me time to further research the ACM rear speakers bass output to see if Forscan can be used to remove any limitation. We'll see.

More later. ;)
Sponsored