Sponsored

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Who actually gets the X Plan pricing, etc.?
  • Employees (full time, part-time and contract), retirees and spouses of eligible Partner companies (suppliers, fleets, etc.) and members of specific organizations or groups.
I work for a parts store that is considered a "Ford Authorized Distributor" of Motorcraft parts.

I used to qualify for D plan (dealership employees), but my spouse who was a parts manager at a dealer died in 2013.
Sponsored

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Employees (full time, part-time and contract), retirees and spouses of eligible Partner companies (suppliers, fleets, etc.) and members of specific organizations or groups.
I work for a parts store that is considered a "Ford Authorized Distributor" of Motorcraft parts.

I used to qualify for D plan (dealership employees), but my spouse who was a parts manager at a dealer died in 2013.
Glad you still qualify for the X Plan. I've often thought of opening a auto parts store in a small town, but Hawkins already has one, and I don't know anything about running a parts store.

Camlt12010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford Escape
Engine
Undecided
Yes, I did see the rear wheel well issue. I do see this as an issue that Ford should take care of voluntarily. It's a design flaw that is easily fixed. They should do it before there are 250,000 of them on the road.
Well , then it's probably a design flaw then. I'm going to contact Ford rather than the service dept. or both. Ok thanks for confirming this with me.

MimiE

First Name
Mitzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Glad you still qualify for the X Plan. I've often thought of opening a auto parts store in a small town, but Hawkins already has one, and I don't know anything about running a parts store.
Don't walk...RUN. Run fast..lol...It's very hard to have an independently owned store this day and time, and with the national chains everywhere, it's hard to compete.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't walk...RUN. Run fast..lol...It's very hard to have an independently owned store this day and time, and with the national chains everywhere, it's hard to compete.
I do understand. Back in the late 70s and early 80s we owned a lighting store in downtown Muskogee OK. Then, they built a large box store lumber yard/home repair store. Our lighting business went away. It was a good thing we had a electrical design, repair, service and contracting shop as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very good review. Interesting about what people like or not like In colors. I did not like the XL interior nor the lariat. I've not had lane assist either so I'm interested to use it myself.

I also needed cruise so xlt for me.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Im not fond of the XLT two-tone upholstery BUT.....I plan on ordering some reall nice seat coverings in my choice of fabric & color.....perhaps sheepskin.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ordered the SiriusXM Commander Touch and it includes a direct FM adapter. Just for grins, I also ordered a bluetooth transmitter and plan on connecting it to the SiriusXM tuner module that mounts behind the dash. I want to see if anything shows up on the 8" Radio Screen of the XL connected via bluetooth. Also ordered a 3.5 mm auxiliary cable with a USB-C adapter, just to determine what the results are when connecting to the XL's radio.

Holding off on the security install until I get the Commander Touch and hopefully will take a morning to install both units together. Reading the manual for Ford's Security system reveals several options to activate the system. Hopefully one of these will work and I don't have to take into the dealer for computer activation.

Can't wait for Rostra to issue their cruise for the Maverick. I've been looking at optional locations for the dash mounted button controls as I just don't want to ad another stalk to the steering column. Of course, if that is the only feasible option then I will add the third stalk. At least I will have a dependable cruise.

Going to the dealer this morning and when I get back my wife and I need to go to Big Sandy for business. Hopefully, she will consent to taking some photos of the bug screen, spray-in bed liner, and tonneau. I also hope she will try out Apple Car Play with her phone. I'm anxious about how it works and what can be done with Apple Car Play since I'm a long-long time Mac user.

I plan on updating here after all my installs are complete and reveal how these things work. Still looking for information about switching out the Computer module for Sync 3. We'll see.

Does anyone know of another third party aftermarket cruise manufacturer? TIA.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
SiriusXM update:

I received the Commander Touch kit earlier in the week. Thursday afternoon late I installed the antenna on the roof between the shark fin and near the top of the back window. My research on routing took about 30 minutes and then the installation about 30 minutes, not counting the time it took for me to realize my knees took a beating getting in and out of the bed. Had to go get a kitchen ladder—what can I say, I'm 75 years old. But I still love to do things like this.

Yesterday (Saturday 17th), I wired in the tune module to the fuse panel located at the top right floorboard. Easy access even for my old arthritic body.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1639858116613

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1639855860559

Connected the illumination wire and the accessory wire to the green accessory wire at the bottom of the fuse box. The fused yellow battery wire I connected to the red wire feeding the fuse box from the battery. It's hot at all times. I connected the ground wire to the bolt and nut conveniently located just below the accessory and battery wired connection.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1639856086806

I then connected the FM module wire, the satellite antenna, display connection, power connection, and the aux cable to the tuner module.

While trying to connect the FMDA25 module I discovered I needed Fakra Z Male & Female adapters to transition to the Ford antenna connection. The FM antenna connection is the blue one shown in the photo below.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1639856835177

Note: the black connector farthest right, next to the blue connection on the right in the above photo is the USB input to the Radio. I did not find a 3.5 mm auxiliary input on the radio, but then I did not take it complete out. If I feel like it when I'm installing the FM antenna adapters, I'll slide it out to check. No photos I've seen of the APIM shows an 3.5 mm stereo auxiliary input.

So I ordered the adapters shown below from Amazon at .

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1639856915421

These are universal type Fakra connectors and will fit several manufacturers various types. I based my order on the following rating from an Amazon customer.

Customer Review​
A MUST HAVE FOR A SRIUS RADIO INSTALLED IN A FORD PRODUCT​
By Amazon Customer on April 23, 2021​
This is a must have for Sirius Onyx radio when used in the FM mode in a Ford vehicle. When I first installed the unit as a stand alone system, there was always static interference. I the[n] bought a Sirius FM adapter [FMDA25] and when I went to install it, I found that Ford uses proprietary connectors on the antenna and radio. So I found this kit, and these adapters make the system work perfectly. KUDOS.​

The adapters are due in Monday afternoon. I'll get back to installing those Tuesday and finish finding where I want to locate the touch screen.

I mentioned in an earlier post I purchased a bluetooth transmitter which I could not get to pair without it kicking my phone off bluetooth. So, that blew that idea. I also ordered two adapters for aux. output to USB-C. 1) Saramonic 3.5mm Male TRS to USB-C Stereo or Mono Microphone and Audio Adapter Cable 9" (22.86cm) (SR-C2001), and 2) Saramonic SR-C2003 Female 3.5mm TRS Microphone Adapter Cable to USB Type-C Connector Dongle - Compatible with Samsung Galaxy, HTC, iPad Pro Smartphones and Tablets - USB C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter.

WARNING: Neither aux. to USB-C adapter worked like they are advertised and the Ford Radio would not recognize them as compatible. They were supposed to be two way conversion. There are analog aux. output to digital USB-C adapters I'm reasonably sure would work but they are around $100, so I'm not going to test them.

I discovered one other thing that I missed during my research of the various SiriusXM radios. The FM output for the Commander Touch is only through the FM Direct Module (FMDA25). The tuner module does not broadcast localized over the air FM signals.

I did play with the Commander Touch screen module and it is bright and easy to use. Even though the footprint is 4.1" x 1.5" it is easier to read than I thought when I ordered it. The touch screen lagged a little reacting to a touch, but it was not too disconcerting. I understand there is an update available from SiriusXM we can download to a mini USB key and install on the screen which improves touch performance.

The Radio module is an easy access behind the panel with the center AC vents in the console. It just snaps in and out, again easy. The tray/cubby behind the 8" screen was more difficult to remove. The back clips released easily bu the two front clips were stubborn and I was afraid to stress it too much. I finally got it out. I never did get the bezel off the screen it being held by something near the center bottom. I'll research it more in case I need to get it off. I guess the APIM is behind the Radio module shown in the photo above. At this point I don't see a reason to remove it to get access to the APIM. We'll see. I probably fiddled with this install 2 hours—because I was enjoying myself.

After I found the FM Module would not work without the two Fakra antenna adapters, I buttoned everything back up and reinstalled my old 2003/2005 XACT XM Radio.

I'll add to this post when I get the Fakra antenna adapters installed and everything working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I finally received the fuse taps and the Fakra to FM antenna cable adapters on Monday and Tuesday. So yesterday I took the afternoon to install. The plastic bezel around the center console vents and AC controls comes off easily, just popping four tabs.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640285766274

I removed the blue Ford Fakra type blue onnector shown on the left within the red eclipse in the above photo. The female Fakra to FM cable adapter plugged easily on the Ford male connector. The Ford female connector on the loose cable plugged easily on to the Fakra to FM adapter with the male connector. This left me with only two FM cable ends on the purchased adapters not connected.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640286046009

This leaves the obvious connection of the FM cable ends of the FMDA25 inline FM relay to the FM cable connectors of the Fakra to FM adapters. Pretty logical and obvious. I ran the FMDA25 connection cable to the Commander Touch Module down the right side of the open center console out bottom to the fuse box area for connection to the Commander Touch Module.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640286449765

After removing the right floor board fuse box cover, I spent 1-1/2 hours trying to find a fuse slot that was not hot when the key was off and out of the ignition. I didn't find one. I don't know if they just were staying on for a few minutes after the ignition was turned off or not. I just didn't find a fuse slot controlled by the accessory which was necessary for the Commander Touch module to work properly. See the photo below that shows the power connections with the yellow wire connecting to the battery or a connection that remains hot. The red wire connects to an ignition control accessory connection, the orange wire connects to the cars illumination control which is not necessary for use. I don't care if the Commander Touch display dims with cabin lighting, or not, so I did not connect this wire.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640286108611

Obviously the black wire is the ground and is connected to the stud with a nut and washer just below the red battery wire and the green accessory wire feeding the fuse box. Instead of a fuse adapter, I tapped the fused yellow wire of the Commander Touch power connection wire to the red battery wire feeding the fuse box shown below. The red accessory Commander Touch power connection I tapped into the green wire shown below controlled by the ignition. Unfortunately, the first time I made the connection I mistakenly connected both the red accessory wire and the yellow battery wire of the power harness to the red always hot wire feeding the fuse box. So, naturally, when I turned the ignition off the Commander Touch display remained on. So, I had to remove the accessory red wire connection and make the tap on Ford's green accessory wire.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640287034396

I then connected the Display, the FMDA25 relay, the antenna, and power harness to the Commander Touch Module. I did not use the auxiliary cable since it will not work with the auxiliary input of the Ford Radio.

So with everything connected, I started the truck and turned on the Commander Touch display and activated the SiriusXM radio and set it up. The Commander Touch display is bright and easy to see with great resolution and relieved my concerns about the small size of the display. Touch controls on the display work without lag and are intuitive to use. Finding an unused FM channel was difficult but finally I found one and tuned the Commander Touch to the appropriate channel.

I was going to put the display above Ford's display, but it seemed to interfere with the FM signal. So, I have not mounted it in a permanent position yet. I'm not real happy with the FM signal from the FMDA25 adapter and location seems to be important. The FMDA25 adapter is supposed to be a relay and block all FM over the air signals only to broadcast the FM channel chosen. It doesn't seem to work as I can change FM channels and they come through fine.

I'm going to try a few different places within the center console or fuse box area to locate the FMDA25 adapter. On the road it seems to perform a little better but I still notice some occasional FM static. I'm going to try and get some support help with SiriusXM to alleviate static through the FMDA25 relay and see why it will not cut out the FM broadcast signals. My old school 2003/2005 XACT radio FM signal had no static, so other than controls the Commander Touch did not improve the Satellite radio performance.

It's still a work in progress and I'll update when I can.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
SiriusXM Commander Touch update.

After going though a holiday trip trying to use the Commander Touch where the interference through FM was unbearable, I had to come up with a fix. Or, send the unit back.

The idea of the FMDA25 module is to block out other FM signals leaving only the FM output signal of the Commander Touch module for a fairly clear audio. It wasn't working, period. I tried every FM channel and none of them were good. I checked the SiriusXM, Best Buy, & Crutchfield websites for information and nothing they offered rang a bell for me.

So, yesterday afternoon, I opened up the center stack where the radio module is located (the bezel surrounding the AC vents and HVAC controls) and started looking around. I checked all the connections and they were tight. I verified the connections of the FMDA25 module against the wiring diagram and also the main Commander Touch module. All were correct and tight.

It finally dawned on me. There are three antenna inputs into the Radio Module, as the red circle in the below photo shows.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1640791470857

I had chosen the blue connector on the left. Why? I don't know since I never found any information about which is the FM antenna input. We all know what happens when we assume something, which is exactly what I had accomplished. So I removed the FMDA25 connections from the blue input and put them inline with the center gray Fakra connection. I don't know what the third empty antenna input, located on the right, is used for. Is it a GPS input? Maybe a Satellite antenna input? I don't know. Because the results of changing the FMDA25 to the center antenna input produced great results I forgot about checking the third input. Now I'm curious—just because it's my nature, I guess.

I've mentioned before, the Commander Touch screen is high resolution, brilliant, and a pleasure to use. I have played with many locations around the center dash and now without all the static, I could mount it on top of the 8" radio screen. I just did not like the looks. So I compromised somewhat. Since I had the HVAC bezel off I located the Commander Touch screen right in front of the AC vents, using the trim piece that SiriusXM provides. It is a matte black so it blends in with the dash materials better than the piano black Commander Touch display.

I like the looks, the location is not obtrusive, and it is easy to operate located in the middle of the center stack. It does not block enough of the AC vents to render them useless. Plenty of air comes through. I mounted the display using hook & loop Velcro so, if I decide I like another location, it's easy enough to move. Although the Commander Touch screen is easy to use and responsive, I like using the remote control.

Now if I want to listen to regular FM (almost never), all I have to do is turn the Commander Touch off. When I turn the Commander Touch on, then the rest of the FM signals are blocked out. It's working as intended.

Now, the Commander Touch works great and the sound on the chosen FM channel is without outside FM static. Again, the signal is FM, so the sound is not audiophile quality, but it is pretty decent and clear now. But again the XL cabin is not a super quiet, so the sound doesn't need to be perfect.

Anyway, I'm contented with the sound of the SiriusXM and can listen to all the retro music I want. I hope that this little series of posts have been helpful to someone. Maybe it will prevent some of the struggles I've had.

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My next project.

I know many are looking for a way to add a 3.5 mm auxiliary input to the Ford Audio Control Module (ACM) on the XL and XLT. I've been looking for a wiring diagram for the Maverick XL or XLT Audio system, but have not found one yet. I probably will not spend the money to purchase the data from Ford, whenever it is available. So if anyone has it available, please share any XL/XLT audio wiring diagrams.

I did find a Ford Focus (2018-2022) ACM non-SYNC with external display Head Unit 64 pin ACM Head Unit Connector that seems to be the same as the ACM in my XL. Note, the connector is actually twin 32 pin ACM Head Unit connectors. The XL uses only the A side of the connector as shown in the photo below. The B side is an empty spare.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1641403260320-jpe

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1641407299403-

If you can identify the two circled inputs/outputs on the XL ACM, please let me know.

Here is the Ford Focus pin identification. There's not one for the XL/XLT yet.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1641404899214-

Please understand that this is not a Maverick XL or XLT pin connector and does not identify the XL or XLT pins. But it might give us a clue about uses. Notice pins 16, 17, 27, 28? They are an input for a CD both left and right +/-. Might a 3.5 mm auxiliary input work on these pins? I don't know, but it's worth checking out.

Here is a blow up of the 64 pin Ford ACM Head Unit Connector.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1641406725693-

So, I'll be buying a 3.5 mm auxiliary input jack and if it works mounting it next to the USB inputs at the bottom of the center stack. If I can find a 32 pin connector with leads, then I'll plug that into the spare 32 pin receiver connector and check the leads and see if it works. Now, I just need to find the 32 pin connector to plug in.

Of course, if this works, it does not mean that there will be any control of the device plugged into an aux. input, and more than likely there will not be. It will be interesting to determine what can be done with the spare 32 pin connector.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Security System Install Update.

Yesterday I installed the Insurance Dongle on the OBDII port and discovered that the connector at the back of the OBDII port does not match the Vehicle Security System (VSS) Kit provided by Ford.

In reviewing the instructions for the VSS there were five types of installation. 1) Specific installation for the Explorer and Aviator, the harness connectors are supposed to plug into the Gateway Module (GWM) which is located near the fuse box. 2) Installation in the Edge and nautilus the VSS harness plugs into the Enhanced Central Gateway (ECG). 3) For F-150 the VSS plugs into the GWM which is located under the Front Display Interface Module behind the Sync Module (APIM?). 4) For the Bronco, the VSS plugs into the ECG located behind the Glove Box. And 5), for all other vehicles the VSS is supposed to plug into the port behind the OBDII port after unplugging the cable that fits there. I know that is a lot of information, but I want to make sure I've gotten the situation correct and writing it down helps me to understand better.

Originally Ford had provided part # ML3Z19A361A to order for the VSS. Now, when I go to the accessories.ford.com and put in my VIN and now Ford gives me a different module number, which is KN1Z19A361A. So, I'm kind'a operating blind right now and need to confirm which part is correct and where the VSS plugs into the Maverick.

Here I thought it was going to be a simple install.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick Review
C2A18865-DADD-48E8-853F-D74F03658536.jpeg

I’ve been able to put about 300 miles on the new Maverick XL and yesterday had to drive to Tyler Texas to have Pro-Liner Coatings apply the bed liner. Beautiful job and I like the shiny finish. Today, I installed the soft roll-up tonneau cover and hood/bug screen and since I’m old it took me about 1 1/2 hours.

I’m very pleased with the overall conservative look of the Maverick and I love the bright Velocity Blue. The black plastic rocker trim, black bed rails, black tonneau cover with black grill kinda frames the blue of the truck. The contrast in black and the Velocity Blue is striking and balances the over look of the truck. Ford’s appealing design hits home with me in all areas and I’ve been surprised at the attention to detail which seems to be unparalleled in lower cost vehicles.

We chose the XL because my wife didn’t like the brown interior of the Lariat and the light multi-tone of the XLT. I’m not sure what I was expecting with the XL Onyx/Graphite color of the XL because photos showing detail of the interior were not clear. The looks of the interior is surprisingly good, especially considering the low cost plastic material used throughout. I love the texture of the top dash material and the ground carbon fibre on the front of the dash. When I first noticed the subtle angular design creases in the right front of the dash I thought it was crimped during installation. The creased design was not apparent in the XL photos and I did not review the XLT or Lariat interior photos enough to notice them. I reviewed the photos and determined they were there on purpose and matched the designed creases in the door panels. It’s un-necessary but it is a good look.

I like the driver’s seat and discovered yesterday it will support comfortably in a long distance road trip. The materials of the seat covers have a nice durable feel, yet they are not uncomfortable to the touch. Dark interiors appeal to me and the two tone onyx/graphite (my description of colors) are a welcomed break from a single color. The varying materials and colors on the door panels and dash are also a nice touch. I was disappointed that Ford did not offer a leather steering wheel for the XL but the materials used are comfortable to touch and easy to grip. All controls are in easy reach of the driver and can be operated with minimal distraction. An oversight on the interior design is the lack of map pockets on the back of the front seats. I don’t like things strapped on the seats or a lot of exposed straps, and given maps are readily available on my wife’s iPhone through Car Play, we’ll leave it as is. We fully intended to purchase Katzkin saddle leather seat covers, arm rests and dash cover, but second thoughts are creeping in because of the pleasing XL interior. We are considering either carbon fibre trim treatments or if they become available maybe an ebony stained rosewood trim.

The 8” screen with the audio is just ok. The Screen looks good and the controls are intuitive and easy to use. I’ve not used my wife’s iPhone with it yet, but I assume the interface with Car Play is typical Apple quality stuff. The audio plays FM music and the system probably doesn’t deteriorate the poor sound of FM music. I have not hooked up our old SiriusXM, from 2005 or so, but I don’t expect great audio quality, but again I like news and sports talk radio. Interestingly, Ford chose to have USB ports for auxiliary audio inputs instead of a mini audio port. I have to get a cable to go from the mini audio to USB to see how our add-on Sirius will work with the 8” screen and audio. Hopefully it will have some control. I have two more SiriusXM add on radios but haven’t found a great place to add them. Because of our age, we probably will keep the XL for a few years so an aftermarket sound and screen system with SiriusXM are not out the question. I would love to have a Bose sound system with maybe a Kenwood screen, etc. We’ll see.

The instrument panel screen is a good size, bright, and feature ladened. The steeling wheel controls for the instrument panel and audio are intuitive and easy to use. Other than cruise, there are plenty of useful and easy to use features.

The AC and heat controls are easy to use and the system works well for me. I can’t think that a more automatic dual control would suit us any better when considering the size of the interior space. I do like the dial shifter on the console but it took a little getting used to the location. At first I kept reaching for the column shifter only to realize it’s not there and look down for the rotary shifter. The rest of the buttons and features on the console are useful, especially the driving mode. The console is laid out well with the availability of the cubbies, shifter, cup holders, and the USB ports.

I’m extremely pleased with the Co-pilot 360 from every aspect. I’ve not tested the collision braking assist, but the lane keeping assist is great. To test, slowly veering toward the empty left turn lane resulted in the lane keeping assist giving me a bright warning on the instrument cluster plus gently guiding the truck back into my lane. Again, with no experience with such systems the quick warnings but gentle responses were excellent. The blind spot warnings on the mirrors are a great feature that I quickly learned to use in traffic. I can see the benefit of the auto stop/start now having driven the XL in heavy traffic and sitting long sequenced traffic lights on the loop around Tyler.

The gas mileage is pretty good. We live on a rural lake and the access road to our house is about 2 1/2 miles at 15 miles an hour. A trip to the local stores and pizza place have very limited speed limits, and the XL averaged about 24 mpg locally. Yesterday, I drove some 75 miles to Mineola TX and back at highway speeds and then another 110 miles to Tyler and around, plus the trip back. This included around 20 miles of considerably heavy traffic with several stop lights on the loop around Tyler. I even stopped at the Tyler Whataburger with the XL idling minimized by the stop/start active. Using Econo driving mode and stop/start activated for the total trip for the day I averaged 30.1 according to the onboard computer. Admittedly, I drove in a manner to save fuel. However, I love to use the Sport mode and it obviously changes things quickly, but makes the XL fun to drive. I’m thinking of an aftermarket intake and JB4 Tuner if the HP gains are anywhere near those advertised. 300 HP or so would be nice to drive, if gas prices go back down.

The ride on highways is great and the suspension reminds me of our 1966 Corvette—ya know, stiff. In fact I love the way the little truck drives and behaves. It just feels like an extremely stable platform. It reminds me of some of my much more expensive muscle cars back in the day, like my ’63 Sport Fury with the 426 cubic inch, 425 HP Max Wedge and the Corvette, except you realize the Maverick is a FWD. But, the FWD pull on accretion is not overbearing like some I have driven in the past. The 2.0 Ecoboost is also responsive, especially in the Sport mode. The steering is responsive as well, and the suspension prevents body sway, which is a feature I really like. Braking is firm and responsive. Again, we haven’t tested the collision or emergency braking yet. Road noise from tires on rough black top is noticeable, so I adjusted the setting for increasing audio volume with increased speed. I do see sound deadening material installation in the near future. But on most of our highways, the road noise is not an issue. I love to drive with the moonroof open and the road noise is not overbearing, either with it raised in the back or fully open. There is a wind buffer when the moonroof is fully open. No noticeable hood flutter as some have reported and I really like the looks of the newly installed hood/bug screen.

Added 11/18/2021: Installed the Ford Soft Tonneau Cover and bug/hood screen yesterday. The Bed cover is very short for the bed it is covering and barely extends from the bed bulkhead to the tailgate only barely overlapping. They provided additional weather stripping but the instructions were not clear. I like the looks ok, but wish I had chosen a trifold my wife picked out. The bug screen was an easy install and unfortunately I got it 1/64" off center. You can't tell but I know.

Another add: We picked the truck up on 11/10 late in the afternoon and it turned dark before we got home. It was my first experience with the auto dimming headlights since my 1953 Chrysler Winsor Convertible with the big ol' honking pedestal on the dash with a oval shaped sensor. The auto dimming headlights and rear view mirror worked well and is just another convenience for us old guys.

Yes there is some equipment on both the XLT and Lariat I would love to have, especially the wheels, cruise control, and SiriusXM. And, after adding cruise control, SiriusXM, security system, co-pilot 360, trailer hitch, moonroof, Remote start Fob, tonneau cover and spray in bed liner we will end up paying as much for the XL as a lower cost XLT. Again, we just could not deal with the XLT interior colors.

Obviously, overall I’m very pleased with our choice. The overall cost of the XL was a consideration for purchase, however the XLT and Lariat were in our budget range for a new vehicle. Our last new vehicle was a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan for my wife and it was in the same price range, however included several features Ford chose not to include on the XL. I especially like the UConnect Audio/Screen/SiriusXM/iPod/Phone interface of the Dodge. But, considering all, I have to give Ford Kudos for the Maverick XL.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Security System Install Update.

Yesterday I installed the Insurance Dongle on the OBDII port and discovered that the connector at the back of the OBDII port does not match the Vehicle Security System (VSS) Kit provided by Ford...

Originally Ford had provided part # ML3Z19A361A to order for the VSS. Now, when I go to the accessories.ford.com and put in my VIN and now Ford gives me a different module number, which is KN1Z19A361A. So, I'm kind'a operating blind right now and need to confirm which part is correct and where the VSS plugs into the Maverick.

Here I thought it was going to be a simple install.
Final Security System Install Update: Ford Part # KN1Z19A361A.

Received the correct VSS and the dealer traded out the incorrect one without a problem.

Got home and quickly unplugged the harness from the back of the OBDII port and plugged the male end of the VSS harness into the back of the OBDII port. And, plugged in the harness male into the female of the VSS harness. Plugged the jumper into the VSS Module to enable basic Remote Start feature with the security system.

Programming the VSS was just a few simple steps and took just about a minute. Same with programming the additional fob.

Checked out the remote start and it works great from anywhere in the house. It activates the HVAC controls after the remote start. It shuts off exactly like it starts.

When the Truck is locked the VSS is activated. I rolled down the driver window and activated the VSS by locking the truck. If you don't buy the optional LED, the only way you know it's activated is by the flash of the parking lights. With the window rolled down, and the VSS activated I pounded on the steering wheel with my fist. The alarm sounded once (horn honk). When I pounded on it repeatedly, the VSS went into alarm mode. Yeah, I guess the neighbors were a little peeved here at our little quiet rural lake community. So, just to make sure they noticed, I re-armed the VSS with he driver's side window rolled down again, reached in and unlocked the driver's side door and opened it from the inside. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering what is the world is he doing. Anyway, the VSS works exactly as it is supposed to.

I probably spent a total of 20 minutes installing the alarm harness, accessories, programming the fobs, allowing the truck and VSS module learn each other, and testing. Super easy install and I couldn't be happier. I probably will buy the optional LED at some point in the future. It's cheap and gives a "tampering while away indication" not possible without it.

Note: Important. There is no reason to purchase the additional Remote Start System Long Range w/ confirmation Key Fob, Ford Part # JS7Z15K601B. At least for me. I didn't buy the long range antenna and the Key Fob provided with the Maverick will remotely start the truck and activate the VSS. Ford did not make it clear you could remote start without the long range fob.

Next up is the factory cruise with XLT, Escape S or SE, or Bronco Sport steering wheel buttons. No timetable for this, but I drove two fairly long trips yesterday and today and I miss cruise.

So, if anyone has a need for a long range remote, just let me know. I paid $95 and will let it go cheap.
Sponsored

Last edited: