First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT Cactus Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mounted the Rockville sub today on the Maverick's B&O mounts. It took quite a while because there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the hole placement on the B&O mount and nothing aligned. Maybe that's just the way B&O designed their sub and Ford made the mount to fit. It took careful measurement to determine hole location and layout them out to drill in the HDPE. After drilling the holes, countersink and determining they will match up to the B&O subwoofer mount, I painted it flat black. After it dried, I mounted the HDPE board and the sub. In the next day or so, after installing the 6.5" front speakers, I'll run the #8 AWG power cable, ground cable, RCA cables, remote wiring, and the sensing power wire. I'll also have to cut some of the mounting screws length off and install some Kilmat on the rear cab wall.

I learned today that the DSP Amp is three weeks to a month out. I'll be glad when it arrives and I can get it installed. I guess that gives me time to further research the ACM rear speakers bass output to see if Forscan can be used to remove any limitation. We'll see.

More later. ;)
I really appreciate your in depth write up, it's getting me over the fear of tearing into a brand new truck. Cheers
Sponsored

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really appreciate your in depth write up, it's getting me over the fear of tearing into a brand new truck. Cheers
Thanks for the encouragement. Shoot, don't be afraid, nothing can be done that can't be fixed. I'll be putting the write up of the front speaker install later today.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got around to installing the front door Infinity Reference speakers. Installed one yesterday afternoon late and one this morning. Yesterday's install of the left front speaker took me almost 2 hours and this morning it took me less than 45 minutes for the right speaker replacement.

The replacement speakers are Infinity Reference REF-6532IX.
Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664992899570

The trim and door panels are easier to remove than I thought they would be. Here are a couple of hints.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664990573977

The trim to get to the 8mm hex head screw is easy. This is the back trim panel in the recessed area above the door handle pops right out if you push on the rear of the trim near the manual lock. I discovered it by accident and when I tried it on the right door, it snapped right off. It snaps back in place very easily.

The window switch panel pops up from the rear with a tab that plugs into a slot in the front. So, prying up at the rear of the switches makes this easy to remove. Of course this has to be removed to get to the two 7mm hex head screws. The switch panel was easily put back in place.

The remaining two 7 mm head head screws are located on the bottom of the door panel and are angled in. Then the door panel pops off fairly easy. After all the tabs are pulled out of their holes, the door panel has to be pulled up out of the space on the window channel. Of course it's best to remove the window switch connector and the lock switch connector to free up the door panel to swing it out of the way. I left the lock cables connected and let the door panel swing down to rest on the driveway.

The triangular trim at the front of the window pops straight out and is easy to remove and replace.

The Infinities came with a speaker adapter ring that fit the Ford speaker mount perfectly.
Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664992936003

I did have to use a double layer of closed foam gasket material around the speaker to mate it up to the door panel grill.

I also put as much Kilmat as I could reach on the inside of the door skin behind the speaker. I also put some cotton batting in the bottom of the space behind the middle door panel and a little on the front of the space behind the middle door panel. I don't know if it helps or not since I didn't test the speaker before the deadening material install. I tested the window clearance for each piece of Kilmat or batting I installed to ensure no conflict.

I'm repurposing the Infinity Logos that were on the grills that came with the front speakers. Thanks to JJC for his Iconic Build and the idea to use the Infinity Speaker logo on the door. Great idea and kinda finishes the project.

Ford Maverick My humble review of my new Velocity Blue Maverick XL 1664990369332

The four Infinity speakers sound great especially all together. I noticed that I'm using about 4 or 5 levels lower to listen to the Infinity speakers at the same volume. My normal volume with the stock speakers if 14 or so. Now its 9 or 10. I'm sure this is because the Infinity speakers have a sensitivity of 92db in the back and 93 db in the front. Plus the Infinity speakers are true 3 ohm speakers resulting in 4 ohms or less considering wiring which results in the speaker pulling a little more power from the ACM. This allows me to hear all the parts. Acoustic Alchemy sounded fantastic this morning after all the speakers were replaced. Clear mid bass, mid ranges, and highs even though I'm using the stock ACM without an Amp. The sound is much fuller and the clarity of the highs and upper mid are truly amazing.

I'm not sure I need the subwoofer or the DSP Amp now, but I'll go ahead and finish the sub wiring and connect it when I install the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp, or at least will when I get it in about three weeks.

I'm very pleased with the sound from the new speakers and also pleased with how easy everything was to accomplish. It's just a series of several easy steps that result in much better sound than factory. Wish I had changed the speakers months ago.

Next up, sound proofing the back wall and running the wiring for the sub.

It you are tentative about replacing your speakers, don't be. Read the posts here on MTC and watch the videos that are available and have everything ready before you start. I love questions and if you have any don't hesitate to either contact me here or on PM, or through my webpage.

Please don't judge the tasks by how long it takes me. I'm 75 years old and everything takes me much longer to accomplish these days, but taking it in stages makes it easy, even for me.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just a note to inform that I'm still researching removing the frequency limitation on the rear speakers using Forscan. I'll post results as I find them.

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a note to inform that I'm still researching removing the frequency limitation on the rear speakers using Forscan. I'll post results as I find them.
So did you replace the front tweeters? I was going to go the powerbass route up front but those Infinity's are a deal

Sponsored

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So did you replace the front tweeters? I was going to go the powerbass route up front but those Infinity's are a deal
No I did not replace the tweeters in the dash. I don't see the need, so I just left the stock tweeters in place. The Infinities are true coax and have a fairly advanced tweeter along with an adjustable tweeter output like some component tweeters. Not only that the tweeters are angled in the mount that allows them to point directionally. I did not play with the 3db tweeter output gain to verify it, as I like the high sounds from them. When I get back to running the wiring for the sub I'll play with the tweeters and see what the 3db gain does for me. Since I'm getting a DSP AMP, this feature may just be redundant.

During my research, I found several Mav owners using Infinity Reference speakers, mostly in the back. Overall, they sound great and certainly worth the $99 for the 6.5" front coax and the 4" x 6" rear coax.;).

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No I did not replace the tweeters in the dash. I don't see the need, so I just left the stock tweeters in place. The Infinities are true coax and have a fairly advanced tweeter along with an adjustable tweeter output like some component tweeters. Not only that the tweeters are angled in the mount that allows them to point directionally. I did not play with the 3db tweeter output gain to verify it, as I like the high sounds from them. When I get back to running the wiring for the sub I'll play with the tweeters and see what the 3db gain does for me. Since I'm getting a DSP AMP, this feature may just be redundant.

During my research, I found several Mav owners using Infinity Reference speakers, mostly in the back. Overall, they sound great and certainly worth the $99 for the 6.5" front coax and the 4" x 6" rear coax.;).
Killer. Thank you! I had the Powerbass setup in my cart for the front, some Hertz 4" for the back, and big Rockville sub. If you don't mind, I'd rather copy your setup. Those infinitys are a great deal, and I like the idea of that little 6x8 sub. Great info, thank you

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You
Killer. Thank you! I had the Powerbass setup in my cart for the front, some Hertz 4" for the back, and big Rockville sub. If you don't mind, I'd rather copy your setup. Those infinitys are a great deal, and I like the idea of that little 6x8 sub. Great info, thank you
You are welcome. I spent months researching the best sound I could get for money spent. I was leaning towards Kenwood or the Harman family of JBL and Infinity speakers when I found the two sets of Infinity Reference speakers on sale. So I didn't hesitate since it was less than 50% of the retail prices for each set separately. The brands I mention all fit my sound choice of bright highs and full mid a little better than the Kicker or Powerbass and I couldn't afford more expensive speakers. I admit that the Kicker and Powerbass are a little better on the mid bass, but the Infinities are pretty good in that range and the Rockville sub will fill in what I need in bass. I'm sure I'll have to turn the gain to 0 on the sub. We'll see.

Just a point, I have not connected and used the Rockville Sub yet and probably wait until I get the DSP Amp which I wish was here already. The reviews of the sub are good so I'm sure that it will fill in the lower ranges for me.

Interestingly, I have a solid method of testing what I like for bass and that's the Acoustic Alchemy "Back on the Case" album that I used to listen to with my Acoustic Research 8" sub with it's satellite speakers. This little budget set up gave great bass response down to 25Hz. The frequency response for the Rockville RW68CA is supposed to be 20Hz - 180Hz, so it should give me the sound I want. I'm almost there with just the Infinity replacements. We'll see after I get the sub connected.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think reviews are interesting accounts of experiences with products. There are some questions about reviewers and receiving an honest review. I put reviewers into three categories.

• The first category are reviews of products that a person has purchased. Often purchasers will not admit a mistake in purchasing and the more expensive the item is the more one is reluctant to admit their mistake. I feel like this is one reason Lexus receives such good reviews and poll well with owners. I'll apologize to those this statement may offend, but b`efore anyone takes offense at that and puts me in my place, this is just an opinion and not based on any real facts.
  • The second category are reviewers that accept products from manufacturers or sales outlets without cost to them. This beg the question, do they give a provider of a free product a bad review. Obviously some do and some do not but I expect most are influenced by products they are given, or possibly paid to review.
  • The third category are independent reviewers that provide buyers with a service. Generally this reviewer buys the product they are reviewing which they actually may use and some give away the reviewed products. Generally, this is the most trust worthy reviewer.

As readers we should be aware each category above contains some pitfalls. That is one reason that I write as detailed reviews as possible. Plus, I just like to write. Wish I was better at it, but it is so enjoyable to me that I write anyway. Oh, I have all the tools I need to write better, but it takes so much time to use those tools it takes the fun out of it.

Interestingly, with the Maverick, my opinions have been influenced by the fact that Ford has filled a manufacturing niche that's been empty for a number of years. I was ready to buy a new small truck when Ford introduced the Maverick, just as a lot of MTC members were. My intent is to be neutral in my review process, but I admit being influenced because the Maverick is small and it was about time small trucks are available again. Plus, I do tend to only review those things that interest me, like the speakers I just installed.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went to the store last night and it was the first time I got to really listen to the new Infinity Reference speakers, both the 6.5" REF-6532IX and the REF-6432CFX 4” x 6”.

They are coax speakers and I did not buy component for the front, therefore I did not replace the tweeters. If the new speakers over ride the front dash tweeters, then so be it. . The 6.5" have a frequency response of 53Hz-21kHz with a 93db sensitivity at 3.0 ohms. Another source has the frequency response of 46Hz-21kHz, not enough difference to worry about one way or the other. The 4" x 6" has a frequency response of 75Hz-21kHz at 92db sensitivity also at 3.0 ohms.

Years ago, I was on a job on Johnston Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It was a remote site and a military base on an island approximately 1/2 mile wide and 2-1/2 miles long with a 10,000 ft. long runway down the middle. I was fortunate to live in officer's quarters in a bedroom suite 24/ x 24' so I ordered a relatively inexpensive Acoustic Research subwoofer and satellite speakers to be driven by my Kenwood 50 Watt per channel stand alone amp. I loved to fall asleep listening to my light Jazz, especially Acoustic Alchemy, which is just great music. Even though it is acoustic music, they provide a full range of music and intricate harmonies.

In the song Georgia Peach there is a bass sound that is super low for a wind instrument, and the sound is an extended note like wooooofff, like a Swiss Horn or a contrabass wind instrument of some kind. In fact it reminds me of some of the bass sounds in the Peruvian Indian music. They simply have a distinctive sound and are diverse in their album music. But they never stray too far from the mellow and melodic strains that keep their followers entertained. They use outside instruments to complement their string alchemy. As a musician in my youth I appreciate the mastery of the duo.

I've found that I listen to music about 4 or 5 levels lower since I replaced the stock speakers. I'm sure that is due to the sensitivity of the Infinity speakers. Last night I tried something different and browsed through my 4900 songs on my USB drive and found Acoustic Alchemy and put it on shuffle play.

As I listened to Acoustic Alchemy at a higher volume of 17 - 19, the sound, especially bass, reminded me of the duo's music I listened to in 1991-1992 on my Kenwood/Acoutic Research system. The sound was simply fantastic. The wooooff of the bass on Georgia Peach filled the cabin of the XL with a wonderful full mid bass yet it did not over power the melody or other harmonics. Using only power from the stock ACM, the speakers responded as if they were on a clean low THD amplifier. I had set the mid and high ranges on the equalizer to flat and the bass at maximum. Still the midbass did not get muddy at the volumes I used. I truly enjoyed the somewhat brilliant but clear highs and the full mid range guitars along with the mid bass sounds of the 6.5" Infinity speakers.

Hopefully the sound will improve even more when I get the DSP Amp installed along with the Rockville subwoofer, but, quite frankly for me, I could stop with just the replacement Infinity Reference speakers and would be satisfied.

The only problem was that the trip out to the local Dollar General and back was too short. I was sorry the trip ended as I have three Acoustic Alchemy albums.

Sponsored
OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp are out for delivery today. I wish I could install it today, but my wife had me load up the bed of the XL yesterday with her mother's clothes to take to the local Helping Hands charity.

Just a note, the lower bed sides makes it easier for a short guy like me to load something like hang up clothes over the side without having to get up in the bed and arrange. My 75 year old knees do not like getting in and out of any truck bed. Anyway, the Maverick is the perfect little truck for such activities. :ROFLMAO:

Have meetings tomorrow in Tyler and grocery pickup tomorrow afternoon. Maybe my wife will let me alone long enough to install the wiring for the Rockville RW68CA Subwoofer, install the DSP Amp, and make final adjustment and tuning. ;)

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Out washing the XL yesterday afternoon and one of my neighbors driving a jeep stopped in the turnaround out in front of our house. He said his son is driving a last gen Ranger and he wondered about the Maverick. He told his son that his neighbor has one and he'll stop and ask. So, he asked me how I liked it.

I told him, "Yes, I do like it." Then I told him a little about the Maverick mechanically. When I told him my mpg average of 25.5 he said that was a lot better than his Jeep Wrangler. I laughed and told him it wasn't built for great mpg. I showed him the XL interior, the bin under the back seat, and he liked the dark colors and stated that it was roomy.

By the way, I purchased a Ryobi pressure washer for quick wash jobs on my XL. I tried to use an older high pressure washer but the compressor froze up. I used the new one for the first time yesterday. I purposely bought one that was on the lower ranges so as not to take a chance and damage the paint in any way. The XL was not real dirty, mostly a light covering of dust and pollen, so the soaping and rinse went quickly. The wax job was still good, but I used Turtle Wax & Dry to help dry the VB XL. Man, does it look nice. The Ryobi did a good job on the wheels, tires, and wheel wells, but I keep tire black on the tires and the wheel wells so the dirt comes off easy.

I received the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp last night. I did open it and am impressed with the quality of build and the protective packaging. I checked the harness, and I think they sent the wrong one, but verifying will have to wait a couple of days as I have meetings all morning long in Tyler. I was also impressed with the quality of the harness build and comes with a cloth loom. The company has been very good with communication and delivered the DSP Amp two weeks early so I don't expect any difficulty in swapping out the harness if I need to. Stay tuned for more.

The neighbor stopped by while I was using the Wax & Dry so my total time washing and drying was about an hour, including the visit. . It was an enjoyable mild day about 82°. Anyway, it was a fun washing the truck and a good discussion and gave my neighbor a reason to stop by and visit. Always, a good thing. ;)

Uncle Ed

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander,Outlook,S10,1968Camaro,22Maverick.hybri
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Out washing the XL yesterday afternoon and one of my neighbors driving a jeep stopped in the turnaround out in front of our house. He said his son is driving a last gen Ranger and he wondered about the Maverick. He told his son that his neighbor has one and he'll stop and ask. So, he asked me how I liked it.

I told him, "Yes, I do like it." Then I told him a little about the Maverick mechanically. When I told him my mpg average of 25.5 he said that was a lot better than his Jeep Wrangler. I laughed and told him it wasn't built for great mpg. I showed him the XL interior, the bin under the back seat, and he liked the dark colors and stated that it was roomy.

By the way, I purchased a Ryobi pressure washer for quick wash jobs on my XL. I tried to use an older high pressure washer but the compressor froze up. I used the new one for the first time yesterday. I purposely bought one that was on the lower ranges so as not to take a chance and damage the paint in any way. The XL was not real dirty, mostly a light covering of dust and pollen, so the soaping and rinse went quickly. The wax job was still good, but I used Turtle Wax & Dry to help dry the VB XL. Man, does it look nice. The Ryobi did a good job on the wheels, tires, and wheel wells, but I keep tire black on the tires and the wheel wells so the dirt comes off easy.

I received the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp last night. I did open it and am impressed with the quality of build and the protective packaging. I checked the harness, and I think they sent the wrong one, but verifying will have to wait a couple of days as I have meetings all morning long in Tyler. I was also impressed with the quality of the harness build and comes with a cloth loom. The company has been very good with communication and delivered the DSP Amp two weeks early so I don't expect any difficulty in swapping out the harness if I need to. Stay tuned for more.

The neighbor stopped by while I was using the Wax & Dry so my total time washing and drying was about an hour, including the visit. . It was an enjoyable mild day about 82°. Anyway, it was a fun washing the truck and a good discussion and gave my neighbor a reason to stop by and visit. Always, a good thing. ;)
Is Catfish King still open in your area , good fish with the cigar hush puppies , loved the pickle relish. I lived in Waskom in the mid 80s. Make that tomato relish ,it's only been almost 40 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is Catfish King still open in your area , good fish with the cigar hush puppies , loved the pickle relish. I lived in Waskom in the mid 80s. Make that tomato relish ,it's only been almost 40 years.
Yes, Catfish King is still open. Good food that's for sure. The one's that I'm familiar with are in Ore City and in Tyler, but I know there are others.

Good memories.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ran to the dump today with several bags of trash and some old weedeaters etc. I put the Ford factory speakers that came with the XL and put them in the Infinity boxes and showed them to the attendant at the dump. I told him they came out of the truck and he made the statement, "they are new then." Anyway, he took them and I didn't have to throw them away.

Stopped back at our storage units and looked around for some building materials. My wife want's stylized shabby chic Well House build so, I'm building a shabby chic Well House. I found one of her hand painted doors that we'll use as the front door. I also found several old windows so I will not have to buy any. Hauled back a few things from storage.

Tomorrow, I'll need to spray out the bed of the truck and our garbage bins...just didn't get around to it today.

Heard from the vendor and he is working on getting the correct harness for the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp. Puzu makes two harnesses and they only use descriptions for identification with no product numbers. So, the mistake was partially mine, since I told him I wanted a new Ford harness and didn't send photos of what connectors I needed. He is very responsive and the only real problem is that it's going to be a few weeks before I get the Amp connected. Again, mostly my fault.

None-the-less, spent quite a bit of time in the truck today and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Sponsored