Sponsored

My First Truck - Wheels & Tires Questions (sorry - Newbe)

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All,

This will be my first truck. 51 years old... and have never owned one before. Mainly because a sub 20 MPG and $40K+ cost was just not something I wanted.

The Hybrid Maverick has changed all that for me. I want to place an order for a Lariat with Lariat Luxury package. However, I like the look of a slightly aggressive stance. I would like to raise the truck by 6 inches as well as give it a wider stance by adding wheel flares and putting on more aggressive looking bigger wheels.

I have a couple of newbe questions, since I have never done this before.

1) Can the dealership raise the truck 6".
2) If 1) is a "no", then if I take it to some other place to do, will it void my warranty?
3) If I raise the truck 6", will there be performance/handling issues, and if so, what issues could I expect?
4) How large can one go with wheels/tires? I know stock is 17/18 x 7". Would 20 x 9" be too large?
5) My intention is to give it a wider stance. Is it better to get a 9" tire with a wheel that has an offset that pushes it out 1.5", or to get a narrower tire and add spacers?
6) Are there any performance issues going to a bigger/wider tire? How severely is MPG impacted?
7) Would the dealership install 20x9 wheels/tires?
8) Would the dealership install spacers.
9) If they do install them, would I get credit for the wheels/tires removed?
10) If they don't and I go aftermarket, would that void my warranty?

I know many of these questions may cause you to roll your eyes, so apologies in advance. I have been looking at the wheels sub forum, but not quite finding all the info I need.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No no it will void your warranty to hell him back, this is not the truck to do that on.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get somebody to do a 2 to 4" lift if you could find it but that will also void your power train warranty, ,if you do this you will notice extreme driving changes.

OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK.. so a DEFINITE HARD NO on the lift then right? I DO NOT want to void my warranty.

So what about the wider stance and bigger wheels? Would that void the warranty?

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Not really doable on a unibody vehicle unless you want to do some SERIOUS custom fabrication work. Depending on the suspension geometry, you could probably get 2" out of it. However, increasing it will negatively affect fuel economy.

2) If 1) is a "no", then if I take it to some other place to do, will it void my warranty?
See answer to #1.

3) If I raise the truck 6", will there be performance/handling issues, and if so, what issues could I expect?
Every suspension modification will change the dynamics. It's important to remember that lifting a vehicle isn't hard. The magic really happens when the suspension is properly tuned.

4) How large can one go with wheels/tires? I know stock is 17/18 x 7". Would 20 x 9" be too large?
This will again affect fuel economy. Bigger wheels and tires add rotation mass which affects acceleration and braking. There is one member running 20x9 on factory suspension but keep in mind you are adding more rolling resistance with the wider contact patch which ultimately decreases fuel economy.

5) My intention is to give it a wider stance. Is it better to get a 9" tire with a wheel that has an offset that pushes it out 1.5", or to get a narrower tire and add spacers?
Always by the proper offset wheel if available.

6) Are there any performance issues going to a bigger/wider tire? How severely is MPG impacted?
The tire can have a huge impact, given how much it weighs and its rolling resistance. All-Terrains can easily hurt performance by several MPG's alone.

Depends on the dealership.

See answer to question #7.

Sometimes. When we upfit a vehicle in our shop, if the customer leaves them, we ultimately just put them in a pile and have another shop come once a month. At one time we had so many aftermarket Jeep Rubicon wheels that we couldn't give them away quick enough.

Yes/No. If your body control module stops working, there is no relation to the wheels and tires to that system. If you're blowing out wheel bearings because the offset is so aggressive, then yes. If your eCVT mechanically starts having issues, then yes. If your powertrain control module malfunctions and it affects your eCVT, then no. But no matter what, most dealerships will try to pin it on any modification to get out of warranty.

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All,

This will be my first truck. 51 years old... and have never owned one before. Mainly because a sub 20 MPG and $40K+ cost was just not something I wanted.
But is exactly what you will have iff you do all these things to your hybrid Maverick....
Sub 20MPG and well over 40k invested it seems.
I really don't think this truck is the platform for the modifications you are talking about

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All,

The Hybrid Maverick has changed all that for me. I want to place an order for a Lariat with Lariat Luxury package. However, I like the look of a slightly aggressive stance. I would like to raise the truck by 6 inches as well as give it a wider stance by adding wheel flares and putting on more aggressive looking bigger wheels.

I know many of these questions may cause you to roll your eyes, so apologies in advance. I have been looking at the wheels sub forum, but not quite finding all the info I need.

Thanks in advance.
If you truly want to do this, than a body on frame truck is what you need. You can even find dealers that will sell it with most of the items you want as a factory deal. Town And Country Ford in Bessemer, AL is one of them. They can and do lift factory trucks and sell them with the FULL Ford warranty.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get a Ranger if you want to do all that.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a 1.5 and 2 inch lift in the works for the Maverick. Anything more than that is a HARD NO. This is not an off road truck. It sounds like you would be better served with a Ford Ranger pickup or Tacoma or Chevy Colorado. A 6 inch lift on those would be too much too IMHO.

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I am not being a jerk, but you do realize that most people don't go over a 4" lift; where did you get 6" from? In other words, where did that number come from? Is it an arbitrary number? Is there something that you wanted to do with the truck that can be accomplished with a 6" lift? Did you want 6" to achieve a certain look?

There is a company that offers 1.5" lift for the AWD Bronco Sport, which should fit the AWD Maverick as well. As others have noted, if you want to go for greater than 1.5 or 2", you should look at the Ranger.

Personally, I would leave the vehicle stock, or go with a 1.5-2" lift.

As others have noted, lifts often cause issues with ride and handling; it's not a modification that you want to have amateur technicians performing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not being a jerk, but you do realize that most people don't go over a 4" lift; where did you get 6" from? In other words, where did that number come from? Is it an arbitrary number? Is there something that you wanted to do with the truck that can be accomplished with a 6" lift? Did you want 6" to achieve a certain look?

There is a company that offers 1.5" lift for the AWD Bronco Sport, which should fit the AWD Maverick as well. As others have noted, if you want to go for greater than 1.5 or 2", you should look at the Ranger.

Personally, I would leave the vehicle stock, or go with a 1.5-2" lift.

As others have noted, lifts often cause issues with ride and handling; it's not a modification that you want to have amateur technicians performing.
No.. all feedback is appreciated. I have never lifted a car. To someone who has never done that, I thought 6 inches sounded like a small amount.

Would one even notice a 1.5" lift?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. My dreams have been crushed a little, but as I said.. first timer here, so learning what is acceptable/allowable. I heard today that Ford made this truck literally expecting people who have never owned a truck before to be the major target market. I guess that is me. So now I have to learn.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think if you plan on going hybrid (as I am), expect it to be not much more than a city "car" with added utility of having a bed. No point in trying to turn it into something it wasn't meant to be. Unless you're doing it out of boredom and excessive amounts of money you can just throw away.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No.. all feedback is appreciated. I have never lifted a car. To someone who has never done that, I thought 6 inches sounded like a small amount.

Would one even notice a 1.5" lift?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. My dreams have been crushed a little, but as I said.. first timer here, so learning what is acceptable/allowable. I heard today that Ford made this truck literally expecting people who have never owned a truck before to be the major target market. I guess that is me. So now I have to learn.
You would notice a 1.5 inch lift. When I had mustangs I lowered them by 1.5 inch's and you could tell. Looked great!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are already forum posts by members who have received their trucks. The majority are Ecoboost not hybrid, but there are photos of the Maverick on more aggressive tires and wheels without a lift that may give you a possible idea of the stance you are looking for. Any more aggressive tire will lower your mileage.

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
My dealer is lifting my truck and putting 245/65 17 all terrain tires on it should have it done this coming week if all parts come in. Between the tires and lift should see 2.5 extra ground clearance and a more aggressive stance. I'll post pictures on here when finished. @Springboks
Sponsored