Sponsored

My 1700 mile hybrid Lariat lux review (also compared to Fusion hybrid that it replaced)

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I've had my hybrid Lariat since the first half of June, but it was parked for the first two weeks of ownership while we traveled in Europe (poor timing for delivery!). I drove it on a two week business trip, and I think I've adapted to my new vehicle.

Overall, I love it. I think I've been most surprised by the power, which I did not anticipate. It's not a Raptor, but it also does not behave like a cheap 4-banger, like my old VW Fox (80 horsepower!). It FEELS like a truck, albeit not a large one, which is a good thing and matches exactly what I wanted. Let me run down some pros and cons:

PROS:
-Power, as I mentioned. I had to make some quick starts, and the Maverick did not disappoint. It's faster than my old '16 Fusion Hybrid SE despite having similar statistics on paper.
-Fuel economy, unsurprisingly with the hybrid. After two full tanks (couldn't accurately measure 1st, currently on 4th), I'm getting 38 MPG, the majority of each tank was highway driving. Given that I was using the AC nearly full time and driving on the highway at or above 65/70, that's not bad at all. I'm interested to see what happens with mostly city driving and once the temps start falling a bit. The Maverick MPG is lower than the Fusion was, but with the added power and higher profile, I'm not surprised at all.
-Sound system. I like it - granted, it's the upgraded B&O, but I read so many negative comments that I was a little worried. It's excellent for me and better than the one in my Fusion, which was also an upgrade from the standard system.
-Sync. MUCH better than my old Fusion. VERY MUCH. Voice recognition is perfect, and the touchscreen works very well. The screen would be better if it were angled slightly toward the driver, like I saw on a new Mazda, but I haven't had any issues with it. The Fusion's screen was a problem in direct sun because it would wash out and be completely unviewable -- I haven't seen that with the Maverick yet. Good call quality in the truck, too -- my wife says that it's noticeably better than the Fusion.
-Size in general. It's exactly what I wanted, much like my old '99 Ford Ranger, which I had to sell too soon after receiving it. I don't have any need for towing, and my hauling needs are on the low end. F-150 would be WAY overkill, and the Ranger is just too expensive for what I want (especially for push-button start). The interior is noticeably smaller than my Fusion was, but it does not feel cramped since I'm not a huge guy.
-The interior door handles! I thought it was rather gimmickly, but now that I've had them, they really work well. Such a small thing, but they're great. Several passengers have remarked on them as well.
-The multiple attachment points in the bed are really nice. I remember always trying to find ways to tie things down in my Ranger and before that in my Dodge Dakota. Off the top of my head, I can think of six attachment points in the Maverick, two of which move along the side. Simple but very functional. Maybe that's more or less standard on pickups these days, but it's been about 13 years since I had one!

CONS and/or CRITICISMS:
-Behavior of Bluetooth (BT) music. My Fusion would play my phone each time I got in the car. The Maverick will not automatically play over BT -- I have to unlock the phone usually or plug in the cable for Android Auto. It's added an extra step for me that wasn't there previously, though it's hardly a substantial one. Just odd.
-Lack of rain sensing wipers. I'm frankly surprised by this one, especially with the luxury package on the top end trim. I bought my daughter a mid-grade Jetta earlier this year ('21 model), which is cheaper than the Maverick Lariat, and it has those wipers standard.
-Low speed braking issue (jerking to a halt or not engaging immediately), which I've read about on here and have experienced. I've managed it now by using a featherweight touch, but Ford needs to fix that behavior. I almost hit someone in a drive thru lane.
-The tall vertical bottle storage in the door is almost useless. It only fits really skinny bottles, and even if they do fit, they tend to fall out when you close the door with any force. Good idea, poor execution.
-No floor mats in the back. Why? I understand cost cutting, but really?
-Rearview camera delay sometimes. I had some wonkiness on occasion with the Fusion, so it's not new. However, I've noted some delays in the camera activating in the Maverick, probably when I was in a hurry. I haven't noticed any trend with it though, just seems random.
-No lock on the little cubby in the bed. I put jumper cables, gloves, and a few other things in there, and it seems like it should actually lock. That'll be fixed with a tonneau cover though.
-No storage organization in the glovebox. It's just a giant hole, like the middle storage between the seats. Sure, budget vehicle, but add a pocket or something? I may add a mesh elastic in the glovebox to hold the registration, insurance, etc.
-Very minor but also very, very cheap on Ford's part -- why doesn't the push button start light up when it's on, like the manual says? My Fusion's button did that, and while it's not necessary, it seems like a downgrade from my 6-year old car.
-Incandescent bulbs on the 3rd brake light and accompanying bed lights on the Lariat. Pretty much everything else is LED, so why keep those incandescent? Even my 18 year old daughter thought that was really odd. I have Lasfit replacements coming for all of $40, but it really shouldn't be necessary to do that, especially since I added the extra LED bed lighting option.
-Regenerative braking seems worse in the Maverick compared to the Fusion. Not that the braking is bad, what I mean is that I could stop from higher speeds (50+) in the Fusion without wasting any power, according to the little coach. I would almost always get over 95% unless I had to hit the brakes hard for a sudden stop. I noticed when driving the truck on the highway that if I had to stop, even with a good amount of distance, I was consistently going into the "white" and out of the green with the brake coach. The Mav is only 40 lbs heavier than the Fusion, so it's not that. Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting to the new brakes, but that's my initial impression.

THINGS I MISS FROM THE FUSION (or wish the Maverick had, in general):
-Auto-dimming rearview and side mirrors, particularly the side mirrors. I loved those on my Fusion, especially at night when some guy in a Jeep was compensating for a shortfall elsewhere, with lightbars and poorly aligned headlights. I know there's a replacement for the rearview (likely taking care of that with tinting, however), but the side mirrors were the bee's knees. I will definitely miss those, and since there is power to the side mirrors already, it seems like it should have been an option somewhere. I'd actually pay for an aftermarket part.
-Battery level indicator on the dash. The Fusion had a readout that showed how charged the battery was. Since the hybrid system performs differently at different battery levels (more inclined to go electric when the battery is near the top, for instance), it was handy when trying to maximize efficiency. The Maverick tells you how much it's charging but not the battery capacity.
-Actual leather seats, if only for the fact that they didn't get as hot as the faux leather ones. Those things will burn you in shorts! I'm sure the synthetic will be more durable, however.
-Lack of concealed storage. I know it's a truck, but this is "what I miss from the Fusion". I used to keep an emergency backpack and a few other things in my Fusion's trunk, but I can't fit those in the backseat and keep them concealed. The underseat storage is nice but quite restricted in the hybrid. When I get my tonneau cover, it'll fix most of this.
-Seat position memory. Basically a luxury, but it was nice to have if my wife wanted to drive my Fusion. Plus, the Fusion's seats had more adjustment possibilities than the Maverick, which seems rather basic.
-Unlocking doors with any handle, not just the two front ones. It's really not a big deal, but since I was used to that with the Fusion, I keep grabbing the rear handles and expecting it to unlock.
-Finally, opening all the windows (or closing) by holding down the unlock button on the key fob (or the lock button). In the summer, this feature was extremely helpful to vent the hot air as I approached the car. Definitely a luxury, but it was a simple one that I used nearly every day after work when it's hot. It was also nice if I left a window open accidentally, which I usually saw after I exited the car, and I could close it without opening the car, starting it, and using the switch on the door.

Ok, that's all I can think of! Like I said, I'm really impressed with the Maverick, and I've named her Betty (Ford). She's a good truck but still has a substance problem (gas). :D
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm also disappointed that those auto dimming side mirrors from Fusion went by the wayside. Now that's an upmarket Lincoln feature - Corsair gets it but Escape, Bronco Sport, Maverick cannot. Ugh.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who came from a 2014 Fusion Hybrid as well I have much the same list of misses. At least Global Window Open can be added via FORScan albeit the ability to close remotely isn't functional.

I find the Maverick's regen braking approximately equivalent to the Fusion although having the ability to see where the limit is on the Maverick is a big improvement. Plus L-mode maxing automatically maxing it out at 30+mph makes it easy (the functionality was very different on the '14 Fusion). With the years of maturation and the new electric motor design I'd hoped there'd have been more low end e-power for 0-30 acceleration drivability. Also the Mav is much more reluctant at switching to EV above 50 mph unless the battery is fuller which isn't transparent due to the lack of meter like the Fusion.

OP
OP
AndrewinMD

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As someone who came from a 2014 Fusion Hybrid as well I have much the same list of misses. At least Global Window Open can be added via FORScan albeit the ability to close remotely isn't functional.

I find the Maverick's regen braking approximately equivalent to the Fusion although having the ability to see where the limit is on the Maverick is a big improvement. Plus L-mode maxing automatically maxing it out at 30+mph makes it easy (the functionality was very different on the '14 Fusion). With the years of maturation and the new electric motor design I'd hoped there'd have been more low end e-power for 0-30 acceleration drivability. Also the Mav is much more reluctant at switching to EV above 50 mph unless the battery is fuller which isn't transparent due to the lack of meter like the Fusion.
Wow, I did NOT know about the FORScan fix -- I'm ordering the part and enabling the window opening as soon as I can. Thanks!

I was paying attention yesterday, and I still think the regen braking is not as robust when traveling at higher speeds. If I'm going over 50, I seem to need 100+ yards to slow down without wasting energy. It could just be perception, though. As for low end power, it's hard to say. I can still manage some low speed, low distance drives without the ICE turning on, but it's probably a little harder than it was with my Fusion. I need to start experimenting with Eco mode though, to see how that affects things -- I've been in Normal the whole time. With Eco on the Fusion, it was very easy to stay in electric because the car put a harder limit on the transition to the ICE. I haven't noticed anything like that with the Maverick.

I agree on the battery usage over 50 mph. I've noticed that the Maverick is reluctant to go into battery at highway speeds, but I used to do that frequently with the Fusion when I was "actively driving" (ie., not using cruise). Since the Maverick seems to do pretty well for efficiency on the highway, maybe it's for the better, and Ford has the truck doing the work for us.
Sponsored