First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How in the world are you averaging 42 MPG when driving on the highway? Are you driving 60 MPH? (If in Texas, you would do that in the left lane. Seems Texans going below the speed limit own the left lane.)

Headed on a 2,000 mile journey through Colorado starting Sunday and would love that kind of mileage but I wanna get where I am going sooner than later.....
Longest trip was 790 miles and got 58-59 mpg, 60-65 mph.
At 5,000 miles now have always gotten 42-44 mpg on every fill up manually calculated.
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Longest trip was 790 miles and got 58-59 mpg, 60-65 mph.
At 5,000 miles now have always gotten 42-44 mpg on every fill up manually calculated.
You have a very light foot on that pedal. Good for you, those are awesome numbers.

With triple digit Texas summer temps, that AC is cranking all the time. But it's damn cold too!

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not really. But do not do jack rabbit starts...slow and easy and try to coast down hills as much as I can. On regular roads I drive 5 -> 10 mile over the speed limits, versus getting run over. Mountainous areas get great MPG. Hot here too but A/C Max button for 5 seconds solves that problem.

When at all possible I use Cruise Control. CC makes a world of difference in my MPG. Easiest CC I’ve ever used…Thumb does everything.

Have discovered, and from others on this site, Eco mode saves gas on long interstate routes by better battery regeneration, especially in mountainous areas…I find in suburban driving MPG, Normal mode is same as Eco so not worth switching back and forth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UpNorthBuckeye

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At what speed did you normally travel?
I drive in ECO mode most of the time, and I also use cruise control about 70% of the time. Also, I have learned after driving for 49 years how to slow down and take it easy. I am retired so I am not driving to work in rush hour traffic.
On my trip out west, I did very little 80mph+ driving. Most of the time we were on 2-lane roads, and driving anywhere from 58 mph (in a 55 mph zone) to maybe 73 or 75 mph in a 70 or 75 mph zone. Watching my "miles to empty" readout, it seems the worst mileage we got was I-15 in Utah, running 85 mph in 105 degree weather, and then between Billings, MT and Minot North Dakota. Any of you living in that area will know there was a steady 25-28 mph wind out of the North/Northwest. It wasn't in our face, but it pushed us around enough that it seemed we lost some mileage.
So a key reason we got 42.4 mpg on our trip is that we tend to stay off interstates (blue roads). We spent a LOT of time on US24, US2, US30 and the like.

s.ober

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Prius; 1998 Sienna
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive in ECO mode most of the time, and I also use cruise control about 70% of the time. Also, I have learned after driving for 49 years how to slow down and take it easy. I am retired so I am not driving to work in rush hour traffic.
On my trip out west, I did very little 80mph+ driving. Most of the time we were on 2-lane roads, and driving anywhere from 58 mph (in a 55 mph zone) to maybe 73 or 75 mph in a 70 or 75 mph zone. Watching my "miles to empty" readout, it seems the worst mileage we got was I-15 in Utah, running 85 mph in 105 degree weather, and then between Billings, MT and Minot North Dakota. Any of you living in that area will know there was a steady 25-28 mph wind out of the North/Northwest. It wasn't in our face, but it pushed us around enough that it seemed we lost some mileage.
So a key reason we got 42.4 mpg on our trip is that we tend to stay off interstates (blue roads). We spent a LOT of time on US24, US2, US30 and the like.
Thanks. I've driven our Prius over some of those same roads with and without headwinds.

Sponsored

Kenmar6549

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DAKOTA PICKUP
I am still putting together the numbers, but I will report on my 17 day, 5600 mile trip. A few things I can tell you right now:

- my finicky wife was totally, completely happy with the comfort of the XLT seats. We had a few long days but no problem.​
- From Michigan to Colorado, then to NM, UT, ID WY, MT, MN WI and back to Michigan, 42.4 mpg's over all. Or is that m's pg?​
- I grew up driving rear wheel, one wheel drive GM boats with bad tires in the snow, so I had no problem in the national parks and quite a few dirt roads mixed in. My Mav is XLT hybrid, so FWD only.​
- A couple of times the Info screen froze up, but either came back on in a few minutes, or stayed off until the next time I stopped and re-started. That longer time was after 5 hours driving up I-15 in Utah, in 108 degree weather. Maybe that bothered it somehow?​
- I still wish I had a CD player!​
- Night vision is very good.​
- re: the hot, hot weather we experienced, the AC had no problem keeping our interior cool.​
- It's such a hoot to drive all day and then go fill it up and it takes 8 gallons. Like on the way back, I filled up in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, in the morning. Then we took Route 2 through Duluth, through Ashland, Wisconsin, on into the UP of Michigan, went through Porcupine mountain drive (Lake of the Clouds overlook), then on to Marquette, overnighted in Marquette, and drove almost to St. Ignace before re-fueling. I mean, it took like 11.8 gallons that time, but holy mackerel, with such a small tank to easily do 475 or 500 miles on a tank is just CRAZY.​

So, I'm still doing my laundry and cleaning up the yard, so I will write more in a day or two.
Great info. Just got my build date ! Getting anxious ! Been ordered since 7/16/2021.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair, the gas mileage probably has something to do with that. ;)
Absolutely haha, our explorer is averaging something like 19 mpgs. Which isn't terrible for a heavy, three row SUV that spends most of its time in stop and go urban situations. But the maverick hybrid will be a nice little improvement once ours arrives. The fuel efficiency is insane, like 20 more miles to the gallon than our Kia Rio, which is an tiny little economy car shitbox. Seriously, look up a 2009 Kia Rio, it's about as ghetto as it gets for a relatively modern car. Can't wait to ditch it for the mav.

OP
OP
UpNorthBuckeye

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So,. today life slowed down a little bit and I got around to computing my fuel usage on my trip.

The overall trip ended up being 5,550.3 miles, 133.837 gals of 87 octane used, for an average mpg of 41.47.

Some legs into a wind and uphill came in at 30 or 31, and some other legs at 47mpg+.

The actual nominal fill up cost ranged from $25 to $58, depending on where I was in the country and how low I allowed the tank to get. I paid anywhere from $4.19 per gallon to $5.19 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My wife is already saying, "let's go somewhere in September!".

Could the Maverick have saved my marriage??? :rolleyes:

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There's a YouTube video from a guy who lives here in Texas where he drove his Maverick Hybrid over the exact same route four times, setting the CC first for 80 mph, then repeating the same loop at 70, 60, and finally 50 mph. The "TLDR" version is that his gas milage increased DRAMATICALLY as he slowed down.

By my own calculations from his date, the increase in mpg outstripped (by about 20%) the decrease in mph. Or in other words, slowing down 10 mph (~13%) improved his milage by over 20%. (That applies for "practical" highway speeds, anyway. I think we'd all agree that driving 50 mph on a road posted for 80 mph speed limits is probably too dangerous for practical consideration..)

Here's the data he reported:
Cruising SpeedReported
MPG
Improvement over Baseline (80 mph)% Total Speed ReductionIncremental Improvement for slowing 10 mphIncremental speed reduction
80 mph28.3-0-0%-0-0%
70 mph36.2+28%-14%+28%-14%
60 mph45.7+61%-33%+26%-17%
50 mph53.6+89%-40%+17%-20%

That tells me that driving the back roads (which is a lot more fun anyway) may also yield substantial fuel savings. I know in my current Prius-C it's a lot more fuel efficient to take the surface roads around town than to get on the freeways. Added bonus - Texas has yet to create "toll roads" on the surface streets... When I finally get my Maverick Hybrid, I'll probably do the same...

Sponsored
OP
OP
UpNorthBuckeye

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a YouTube video from a guy who lives here in Texas where he drove his Maverick Hybrid over the exact same route four times, setting the CC first for 80 mph, then repeating the same loop at 70, 60, and finally 50 mph. The "TLDR" version is that his gas milage increased DRAMATICALLY as he slowed down.

By my own calculations from his date, the increase in mpg outstripped (by about 20%) the decrease in mph. Or in other words, slowing down 10 mph (~13%) improved his milage by over 20%. (That applies for "practical" highway speeds, anyway. I think we'd all agree that driving 50 mph on a road posted for 80 mph speed limits is probably too dangerous for practical consideration..)

Here's the data he reported:
Cruising SpeedReported
MPG
Improvement over Baseline (80 mph)% Total Speed ReductionIncremental Improvement for slowing 10 mphIncremental speed reduction
80 mph28.3-0-0%-0-0%
70 mph36.2+28%-14%+28%-14%
60 mph45.7+61%-33%+26%-17%
50 mph53.6+89%-40%+17%-20%

That tells me that driving the back roads (which is a lot more fun anyway) may also yield substantial fuel savings. I know in my current Prius-C it's a lot more fuel efficient to take the surface roads around town than to get on the freeways. Added bonus - Texas has yet to create "toll roads" on the surface streets... When I finally get my Maverick Hybrid, I'll probably do the same...
I think you're right, Jim. I think the way drag works with a lot of vehicles, it's a curve that curves up sharply as the speed increases. To state the same thing your graph is saying, between 30 and 40 mph, the air resistance increases very slightly, but between 70 and 80 it's more dramatic!

I also find this same phenomenon pulling my camper with the Expedition. 45 mph, I can get 13 or 14 mpg, but at 75, it's 9 mpg.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jeff, did you post any videos on your trip like these? I will sub!

OP
OP
UpNorthBuckeye

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jeff, did you post any videos on your trip like these? I will sub!

No videos, but I have some pictures I can post.
Unless you want a video of Old Faithful.... not very exciting, unless you are there.

OP
OP
UpNorthBuckeye

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No videos, but I have some pictures I can post.
Unless you want a video of Old Faithful.... not very exciting, unless you are there.
I also just changed my avatar to a picture that came from my trip. I noticed that the MTC web site photo's seemed to feature a HPR Maverick in the mountains, so I thought I would change my signature pic. I think we were in SE Utah at the time, maybe Natural Bridge area??
Sponsored