First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I picked up my Maverick yesterday afternoon at Chapmans in Horsham. Delivery was great and a wonderful staff. Everything was as expected. I ordered a Cactus Grey XLT Luxury/2.0/AWD/FX4/4K Tow/sunroof/rear slider. I flew into Philly and they had a Lyft pick me up and drive me to the dealership, excellent service to say the least.

Anyway, I planned to drive home 1000 miles. It was originally supposed to be a mini vacation with a few stops along the way but those plans changed as the gf wasn't feeling well, so I was solo on the trip and made it in one straight shot. Below are my thoughts after 15 hours and 1000 miles in the Maverick. Note, I may have some complaints, but they aren't just differences and things to get used to and maybe Ford will change some in the future.

For reference, I have been driving a Jeep Gladiator Willy's and previously have owned an older Ranger XLT.

It looks small in person, my daughter has a Jeep Renegade that sits higher and taller. The interior is definitely roomy, at least the front seats. The rear seems tighter than the Gladiator. The power seats in the XLT work great, I tend to sit higher so I was able to raise the seat and still had plenty of headroom with the sunroof. Note that I am 5'7" when I wake up in the morning. The seats are hard and flatish, but not bad. The power lumbar is a nice addition. Overall, this was a much more comfortable long drive than in the Gladiator.

There is some slight wind noise, nothing bad, about what I would expect from an economy segment. The engine is quiet on the highway, but you do hear a little buzziness around town. The transmission is still learning my style, but in the aggressive rush hour stop and go highway traffic, I wasn't a fan. I think the Hybrid will do much better with the instant torque. The issue is slowing down, then I need to jump forward quickly to avoid getting cut off, there was just a little lag, again, I'm sure it will adjust. However, the power is more than adequate, if I step on it to get moving, it' goes! and goes well. The Pirelli tires weren't bad, fairly quiet on the road. I wonder how the Lariat would be with the other windshield.

As for gas mileage, I was around 28-29 mpg as measured both by the computer and the old fashioned way. I'll just give an estimate now, as Chapmans actually filled the tank (A welcome surprise), and I'm sure they did it differently than I do, so I think I calculated 28.9 and the computer said 30. However, the second tank I put in premium and I actually did worse. Though on this second tank my average speed was 15 mph higher owing to the open road and night time driving! Third tank I went back to regular, but haven't filled up yet to calculate. Overall, if I can get 28-29 mpg doing 75 on the highway, that is awesome! My Jeep would maybe get 18 and even my BMW would only get low 20's (on premium).

The carplay works great. At least it works better than the uconnect in my Jeep which cuts in and out sometimes. This just seemed to work and stay there. I haven't really tried the radio itself otherwise. I do like that it has easy to read climate and other controls with real nobs and buttons that I can quickly glance down at see the status without having to navigate through menus. As for the screen, I don't think a bigger screen is needed, i.e. if the screen was longer and replaced the cubby, it would provide no additional benefit.

I wish the rear seat was split folding (I knew this before buying), but now putting a car seat back there means my underseat storage is mostly useless. I'm not sure why they did the textured dash board. It doesn't look bad, but the coloring and contrasting is already enough and it just doesn't seem to fit. It's almost like a design student tried too hard for something new. The pockets on the door are shallow, you can still throw stuff down there, but not much. I usually have a parking pass, some papers, or other stuff there, but now I think they would tip out. There's lots of other features and things to figure out as I go along, for instance it has auto high beams which were annoying on the highway until I figured out how to turn them off.

So after the long trip home I'm tired but the purchase was definitely worth it. Time to drink a beer and relax for the afternoon.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Ford Maverick My 1000 Mile Review From Maiden Drive Home 0BC7511F-B0A9-4F00-9152-CE696B1A81D5
Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the update. Do you worry about a "break-in" period at all with so many highway miles or is that all old folklore in that they break in the engine at the factory?

Did anyone stop you to ask about the Mav or did you notice people looking? It's nice to be first!

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the update. Do you worry about a "break-in" period at all with so many highway miles or is that all old folklore in that they break in the engine at the factory?

Did anyone stop you to ask about the Mav or did you notice people looking? It's nice to be first!
I wasn't too worried about the break in period. I figure it has a warranty and I bought the car to drive. The first bit the speed and rpms varied quite a bit due to the traffic. On the highway, I think it was around 2000 rpms around 75, so the engine really wasn't worked.

No one stopped me, I only had to stop twice for gas, though I could see people looking at it thinking what is that.

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
The transmission is still learning my style, but in the aggressive rush hour stop and go highway traffic, I wasn't a fan. I think the Hybrid will do much better with the instant torque. The issue is slowing down, then I need to jump forward quickly to avoid getting cut off, there was just a little lag, again, I'm sure it will adjust. However, the power is more than adequate, if I step on it to get moving, it' goes! and goes well.
Were you driving on ECO, Normal, Sport, etc?

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I didn't adjust it, so I think it defaulted to Normal.
Ah. May want to give Sport a try. Im still impressed by it, but have not looked into how it affects MPG. But I can see situations in which it would be very useful, and it may help with the type of scenario you described.

OP
OP
spyderman01

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah. May want to give Sport a try. Im still impressed by it, but have not looked into how it affects MPG. But I can see situations in which it would be very useful, and it may help with the type of scenario you described.
i have the FX4, so I think no sport it eco

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't too worried about the break in period. I figure it has a warranty and I bought the car to drive. The first bit the speed and rpms varied quite a bit due to the traffic. On the highway, I think it was around 2000 rpms around 75, so the engine really wasn't worked.

No one stopped me, I only had to stop twice for gas, though I could see people looking at it thinking what is that.
They probably have never seen a trucklette before?

I can't wait till my trucklette is built!!

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I picked up my Maverick yesterday afternoon at Chapmans in Horsham. Delivery was great and a wonderful staff. Everything was as expected. I ordered a Cactus Grey XLT Luxury/2.0/AWD/FX4/4K Tow/sunroof/rear slider. I flew into Philly and they had a Lyft pick me up and drive me to the dealership, excellent service to say the least.

Anyway, I planned to drive home 1000 miles. It was originally supposed to be a mini vacation with a few stops along the way but those plans changed as the gf wasn't feeling well, so I was solo on the trip and made it in one straight shot. Below are my thoughts after 15 hours and 1000 miles in the Maverick. Note, I may have some complaints, but they aren't just differences and things to get used to and maybe Ford will change some in the future.

For reference, I have been driving a Jeep Gladiator Willy's and previously have owned an older Ranger XLT.

It looks small in person, my daughter has a Jeep Renegade that sits higher and taller. The interior is definitely roomy, at least the front seats. The rear seems tighter than the Gladiator. The power seats in the XLT work great, I tend to sit higher so I was able to raise the seat and still had plenty of headroom with the sunroof. Note that I am 5'7" when I wake up in the morning. The seats are hard and flatish, but not bad. The power lumbar is a nice addition. Overall, this was a much more comfortable long drive than in the Gladiator.

There is some slight wind noise, nothing bad, about what I would expect from an economy segment. The engine is quiet on the highway, but you do hear a little buzziness around town. The transmission is still learning my style, but in the aggressive rush hour stop and go highway traffic, I wasn't a fan. I think the Hybrid will do much better with the instant torque. The issue is slowing down, then I need to jump forward quickly to avoid getting cut off, there was just a little lag, again, I'm sure it will adjust. However, the power is more than adequate, if I step on it to get moving, it' goes! and goes well. The Pirelli tires weren't bad, fairly quiet on the road. I wonder how the Lariat would be with the other windshield.

As for gas mileage, I was around 28-29 mpg as measured both by the computer and the old fashioned way. I'll just give an estimate now, as Chapmans actually filled the tank (A welcome surprise), and I'm sure they did it differently than I do, so I think I calculated 28.9 and the computer said 30. However, the second tank I put in premium and I actually did worse. Though on this second tank my average speed was 15 mph higher owing to the open road and night time driving! Third tank I went back to regular, but haven't filled up yet to calculate. Overall, if I can get 28-29 mpg doing 75 on the highway, that is awesome! My Jeep would maybe get 18 and even my BMW would only get low 20's (on premium).

The carplay works great. At least it works better than the uconnect in my Jeep which cuts in and out sometimes. This just seemed to work and stay there. I haven't really tried the radio itself otherwise. I do like that it has easy to read climate and other controls with real nobs and buttons that I can quickly glance down at see the status without having to navigate through menus. As for the screen, I don't think a bigger screen is needed, i.e. if the screen was longer and replaced the cubby, it would provide no additional benefit.

I wish the rear seat was split folding (I knew this before buying), but now putting a car seat back there means my underseat storage is mostly useless. I'm not sure why they did the textured dash board. It doesn't look bad, but the coloring and contrasting is already enough and it just doesn't seem to fit. It's almost like a design student tried too hard for something new. The pockets on the door are shallow, you can still throw stuff down there, but not much. I usually have a parking pass, some papers, or other stuff there, but now I think they would tip out. There's lots of other features and things to figure out as I go along, for instance it has auto high beams which were annoying on the highway until I figured out how to turn them off.

So after the long trip home I'm tired but the purchase was definitely worth it. Time to drink a beer and relax for the afternoon.

Feel free to ask any questions.

0BC7511F-B0A9-4F00-9152-CE696B1A81D5.jpeg
Thank You for posting your review

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's great that you enjoy your Maverick and that it was worth the investment. I've noticed a consistency with these owner's reviews. Everyone says that the truck is very fun to drive, peppy, well laid-out, spacious, fairly fuel efficient, and well insulated with only a few nitpicky complaints that don't interfere with the driving experience. That's reassuring for many of us that are still waiting for theirs.

Sponsored

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will have to say the sound shield windshield must make a difference because wind noise is non existent on my Lariat.

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A fellow Gladiator owner! I'm trading mine for the Maverick.

Reactions: bgn

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Congrats. Nice review and glad you are happy with it after the long drive. I agree that the lack of split bench is the only huge miss from the design team. Not sure what they were thinking there

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will lend out my sawzall to create the split rear seat. No QR code for that?
Sponsored