First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick My 10,000 mile update - Hybrid Lariat w/ Lux package 68FFF025-8C31-4121-A8AD-D5509D7D482F

Ford Maverick My 10,000 mile update - Hybrid Lariat w/ Lux package 1CC9EA94-BAB0-472D-8E3E-F4D9760D3198

Just passed 10,000 miles. 2022 Lariat Lux package bright home October 21, 2022 after waiting a year and a day. Area 51 paint. The only additional option so far is a factory installed trifold tonneau cover. The only mod I have made are two 2x4 bed dividers made from cut lumber
I have been consistently getting between 40 and 48 mpg combined mileage between fill ups. Hand calculated mileage runs about 1-3 mpg less although sometimes more than the computer.

On any individual trip I am extremely disappointed if the trip computer indicates less than 42 mpg for any type of driving city or highway. Certainly better than my previous 28-32 for my 2014 Subaru Forester.

I live in NYC, right in the belly of the beast on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, although most of my ‘city’ driving is between 5 and 20 blocks to get on a highway to get out of town.

Highway speeds to get out of town are usually posted at 55 mph and often traffic speeds are less than that. In stop and go traffic on the approaches to the George Washington Bridge during rush hour the adaptive cruise control has been amazing. I no longer have to change gears or clutch frequently in heavy traffic as I did with my Forester.

I don’t quite hyper mile but I am conscious of whether the car is driving in electric or hybrid mode. I use cruise control almost all the time on the highway set at my desired speed. The cruise control doesn’t like to switch back from hybrid to electric even when electric mode would suffice. I find goosing the gas pedal 2-3 mph above set cruise control speed and letting the car coast back to cruising speed will usually drop it back into electric mode. Especially going down hill. If you want to set it and forget it your gas mileage will probably be less.

I park the truck on the streets as the cost of a garage is beyond my budget. I bought a Maverick didn’t I? I felt the safety features offered at the Lariat level were necessary for me, although pricier than I hoped. I must admit I like the interior and heated seats and steering wheel. Interior noise is no worse than most cars I have owned and be exceptionally quiet in electric mode in the city.

It fits easily into parking spaces. The vehicle is actually a couple of inches shorter than my old Dodge Grand Caravan I also parked on the street. We have alternate sideof the street parking rules ostensibly for street cleaning but really as an excuse to write tickets. This means I have to constantly change parking spots.The Maverick’s maneuverability and gas frugality as I circle as I search for a spot on the proper side of the street is greatly appreciated.

How has it been doing truck things? It has handled The Home Depot, IKEA, Costco trips as hoped with tailgate up or down as needed. I am sure it will excel at trips to the dump, the garden center, coal dealer etc when I open up my other home for the season in a month.

Not having awd has not been a problem. The only ‘off roading’ I do is gravel or dirt road to the to the trailhead or my barn type of thing. Nowhere I haven’t taken my cars in the past. Front wheel drive is adequate for my needs.

I have not had any of the complaints with the vehicle. I have read on this Forum by some. So far no battery issues, no sticky brakes etc. For me, the car was all that was advertised and thankfully I was able to wait the wait.

Which brings me to my only real complaint. 1 year of waiting? Inadequate communication from Ford and the dealer about order status. Crazy Byzantine allocation system. Sweating and worrying over whether I should change my order in order to get it fulfilled. I got lucky. I hope this isn’t how we will be buying cars in the future.
Sponsored

BingoDingo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time in the city myself, and this would be perfect except for needing to secure the bed pretty well. Are things settling back down on the UES yet? Friends said things changed the last couple years.

ehauser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am curious how you get so many electric miles. I am lucky to get 10 miles electric on a 200 mile trip. I have even tried goosing the pedal and trying to get into electric mode when going down hills. My mileage on the interstate on a 200 mile trip is usually around 30 mpg.

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am curious how you get so many electric miles. I am lucky to get 10 miles electric on a 200 mile trip. I have even tried goosing the pedal and trying to get into electric mode when going down hills. My mileage on the interstate on a 200 mile trip is usually around 30 mpg.
@Pezzard @ehauser

Yeah, almost no electric miles on the interstate for these hybrids. Yes, if you pass someone and then back down to to 70 mph, you'll get a few electric miles on the insterstate...or downhill. I never really expect any significant electric miles on the interstate. I'm almost always traveling 70 mph on the interstate / fwy.

But in the city, I'm disappointed if I don't get better than 45% electric miles. My best electric percentage was last week, 71% electric miles! It was a 30 mile cross town trip, mostly at 40 to 45 mph, adaptive cruise, and with the benefit of a tailwind. If it was warmer than 44 F outside, I might've seen even better results. See below:

Ford Maverick My 10,000 mile update - Hybrid Lariat w/ Lux package IMG-2126

Sponsored

ehauser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see now this isn’t one trip. I was about to say.

Deleted member 1483

You might try eco mode and cruise control when on highways. Try setting the cruise control to one over your desired speed and reducing it by one once you are up to speed. This usually settles the truck in as low of throttle as it needs.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Besides what @area51leader said, geography can make a big difference too. A fairly flat area isn't going to result in as good mileage at high speed as a hilly one where the regen has more of an opportunity to charge the hybrid's battery.

Also it depends on what "highway" speeds are in your region. The truck is going to perform very differently at 65 mph than at 85 mph.

OP
OP

Pezzard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time in the city myself, and this would be perfect except for needing to secure the bed pretty well. Are things settling back down on the UES yet? Friends said things changed the last couple years.
[/
The bed cover was a must for me. It doesn’t really afford any security but I never leave anything in it overnight. It’s mainly used to provide weather protection when carrying stuff. Added benefit is I probably won’t find someone sleeping in the bed when I return the next day to use the truck.

OP
OP

Pezzard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pezzard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ten minutes ago I just completed a 15 mile trip from the eastern part of Queens back to Manahattan. 75% “highway”. I averaged 63.6 mpg according to the trip computer. However the trip took 45 minutes due to traffic conditions. I used the adaptive cruise control in stop and go situations but often I would toggle it on/off depending on car spacing and how quickly it rubber banded to relatively wide open. I find the engine will switch to hybrid in order to get to maximum speed even if traffic conditions mean you will have to brake again shortly.
Once or twice a week I travel 75 miles to just east of New Haven Ct - about 75 miles each way. I average between 42 and 45 mpg per trip computer. Posted speed limit is 55 mph but I will do up to 65 mph depending on traffic conditions. I pay attention to whether I am going uphill or downhill. I monitor whether I am in hybrid or electric mode using both the power gauge and the display on the touch screen. I drive in ECO mode. I us the Brake coach. I basically play a rather boring video game to see how I can adjust my driving to maximize gas mileage driving in a style I am comfortable with. I have internalized much of this and don’t pay attention to these things as much anymore.
I have made about six trips from NYC to Arlington Virginia and averaged about the same. The trick is to be mindful of your driving, when and how to use cruise control etc.
As pointed out in another reply to this post weather, temperature and terrain play a part. Also speed. Over the 233 miles from NY to VA do you want to average 60mph and take 2 hours and 43 minutes of drive time or 70mph and take 3 hours and 23 minutes? Save a half hour and lose 10mpg.
I do a fair amount of driving traveling between 10 and 60 miles each way. The time penalty is not too great on these trips and I don’t feel I have to be the fastest on the road. I am certainly not the slowest either.
All I can really add is gauge your driving and mileage over trips you take regularly. Play the higher mileage game to the extent you are comfortable. See what improvements occur.

AutoDrifter

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Leaf s plus maverick sold
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have 18k miles and today my check engine light came on and won’t turn off

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

68FFF025-8C31-4121-A8AD-D5509D7D482F.jpeg

1CC9EA94-BAB0-472D-8E3E-F4D9760D3198.jpeg

Just passed 10,000 miles. 2022 Lariat Lux package bright home October 21, 2022 after waiting a year and a day. Area 51 paint. The only additional option so far is a factory installed trifold tonneau cover. The only mod I have made are two 2x4 bed dividers made from cut lumber
I have been consistently getting between 40 and 48 mpg combined mileage between fill ups. Hand calculated mileage runs about 1-3 mpg less although sometimes more than the computer.

On any individual trip I am extremely disappointed if the trip computer indicates less than 42 mpg for any type of driving city or highway. Certainly better than my previous 28-32 for my 2014 Subaru Forester.

I live in NYC, right in the belly of the beast on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, although most of my ‘city’ driving is between 5 and 20 blocks to get on a highway to get out of town.

Highway speeds to get out of town are usually posted at 55 mph and often traffic speeds are less than that. In stop and go traffic on the approaches to the George Washington Bridge during rush hour the adaptive cruise control has been amazing. I no longer have to change gears or clutch frequently in heavy traffic as I did with my Forester.

I don’t quite hyper mile but I am conscious of whether the car is driving in electric or hybrid mode. I use cruise control almost all the time on the highway set at my desired speed. The cruise control doesn’t like to switch back from hybrid to electric even when electric mode would suffice. I find goosing the gas pedal 2-3 mph above set cruise control speed and letting the car coast back to cruising speed will usually drop it back into electric mode. Especially going down hill. If you want to set it and forget it your gas mileage will probably be less.

I park the truck on the streets as the cost of a garage is beyond my budget. I bought a Maverick didn’t I? I felt the safety features offered at the Lariat level were necessary for me, although pricier than I hoped. I must admit I like the interior and heated seats and steering wheel. Interior noise is no worse than most cars I have owned and be exceptionally quiet in electric mode in the city.

It fits easily into parking spaces. The vehicle is actually a couple of inches shorter than my old Dodge Grand Caravan I also parked on the street. We have alternate sideof the street parking rules ostensibly for street cleaning but really as an excuse to write tickets. This means I have to constantly change parking spots.The Maverick’s maneuverability and gas frugality as I circle as I search for a spot on the proper side of the street is greatly appreciated.

How has it been doing truck things? It has handled The Home Depot, IKEA, Costco trips as hoped with tailgate up or down as needed. I am sure it will excel at trips to the dump, the garden center, coal dealer etc when I open up my other home for the season in a month.

Not having awd has not been a problem. The only ‘off roading’ I do is gravel or dirt road to the to the trailhead or my barn type of thing. Nowhere I haven’t taken my cars in the past. Front wheel drive is adequate for my needs.

I have not had any of the complaints with the vehicle. I have read on this Forum by some. So far no battery issues, no sticky brakes etc. For me, the car was all that was advertised and thankfully I was able to wait the wait.

Which brings me to my only real complaint. 1 year of waiting? Inadequate communication from Ford and the dealer about order status. Crazy Byzantine allocation system. Sweating and worrying over whether I should change my order in order to get it fulfilled. I got lucky. I hope this isn’t how we will be buying cars in the future.
Picked my wife’s up that same day, everything the same except Velocity Blue. Getting 40.3 mpg with 3700 miles 50/50 highway to around town. Freeway speeds 65 to 75. She’s loving it and no issues, believe me she would let me know if there’s any. She’s a Chevy person but she wanted a Maverick!!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I have 18k miles and today my check engine light came on and won’t turn off
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Maverick concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Pezzard @ehauser

Yeah, almost no electric miles on the interstate for these hybrids. Yes, if you pass someone and then back down to to 70 mph, you'll get a few electric miles on the insterstate...or downhill. I never really expect any significant electric miles on the interstate. I'm almost always traveling 70 mph on the interstate / fwy.

But in the city, I'm disappointed if I don't get better than 45% electric miles. My best electric percentage was last week, 71% electric miles! It was a 30 mile cross town trip, mostly at 40 to 45 mph, adaptive cruise, and with the benefit of a tailwind. If it was warmer than 44 F outside, I might've seen even better results. See below:

IMG-2126.jpg
I have seen 65 MPG on a few occasions - 35 MPG stop and go,....
Sponsored