Sponsored

bilyjck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf SL plus 2020, Hybrid XLT
Average MPG was exactly 36 over those 2804 miles.

Fueling Fillups:

#1: From Coppell TX to Joplin MO - 6/2 10.208 Gallons @ $4.299/G
distance driven 348 miles - MPG 35.5 - Highway Speeds 65-70 MPH
I did have a couple of days driving local before the trip start of 18 miles
So for the overall fillup I got 35.8 MPG

#2: From Joplin MO to Saint Louis MO - 6/4 10.135 Gallons @ $4.399/G
distance driven 370 miles - MPG 36.5 - Highway Speeds 60-70 MPH

#3: From Saint Louis MO to Cedar Rapids IA - 6/6 10.225 Gallons @ $4.449/G
distance driven 446 miles - MPG 43.5 - Highway Speeds 60-65 MPH
about 93 miles driving around in Saint Louis before heading to Iowa and a lot was on electric only mode

#4: Driving around Cedar Rapids Iowa with two side round trips one to Iowa City
and one to Waterloo - 6/8 6.268 Gallons @ $4.549/G
distance driven 248 miles - MPG 39.6 - Highway Speeds 55-65 MPH

#5: From Cedar Rapids IA through Dubuque and then onto Downtown Chicago
Stayed with my Sister on the Lakefront so Maverick was parked there for three days
Then departed for Memphis TN but filled up in Tuscola IL - 6/12 11.356 Gallons @ $5.149/G
distance driven 429 miles - MPG 37.8 - Highway Speeds 55-75 MPH

#6: From Tuscola IL to Memphis TN - 6/12 12.848 Gallons @ $4.349/G
distance driven 395 miles - MPG 30.7 - Highway Speeds 65-75 MPH

This leg got the worst MPG because the AC was on constantly because temps were in the high 90's and speeds were 78 MPH. Also as mentioned below by s.ober I did have considerable head winds on this leg.

#7: Around Memphis TN then filled up in Texarkana TX - 6/14 10.906 Gallons @ $4.499/G
distance driven 368 miles - MPG 33.7 - Highway Speeds 65-70 MPH

#8: From Texarkana TX to Coppell TX - 6/14 6.396 Gallons @ $4.559/G
distance driven 200 miles - MPG 31.3 - Highway Speeds 70-75 MPH

As seen above lower speeds and outside temperatures can help the Hybrid Maverick get some very good MPG numbers. I love that I got 36 MPG over the entire 2804 miles.

I have the base XLT (no lux) and the seats were very comfortable. In fact they were super comfortable compared to my previous 2015 Honda Fit and the wife's 2009 Honda CR-V.

Having cruise control made the driving very enjoyable.

On my long driving days I traveled:

6/2: 346 miles
6/3: 361 miles
6/5: 317 miles
6/8: 272 miles
6/12: 542 miles
6/14: 503 miles

Those last two were from Chicago to Memphis then from Memphis to Coppell.

Overall I love my Maverick.
No one mentions which driving option is used? Did you use standard or eco mode? Someday I would like Ford to give actual story on how delivery times were used. I ord 7/7/21 and was shipped and due in about a week to the dealer. I am in Calif and only 980 miles from the Mexico plant. Seems like even the far east US got more of the Hybrid?
Sponsored

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one mentions which driving option is used? Did you use standard or eco mode? Someday I would like Ford to give actual story on how delivery times were used. I ord 7/7/21 and was shipped and due in about a week to the dealer. I am in Calif and only 980 miles from the Mexico plant. Seems like even the far east US got more of the Hybrid?
Post #19 in this thread asked: "are you in Normal mode most of the time?"

I answered in Post #22: "I drive primarily in ECO mode"

and " I also used Slippery Mode on the start of the leg from Chicago to Memphis as it was raining pretty good for about 150 miles."

I edited my post to state primarily ECO mode.

Last edited:

bilyjck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf SL plus 2020, Hybrid XLT
Post #19 in this thread asked: "are you in Normal mode most of the time?"

I answered in Post #22: "I drive primarily in ECO mode"

and " I also used Slippery Mode on the start of the leg from Chicago to Memphis as it was raining pretty good for about 150 miles."

I edited my post to state primarily ECO mode.
Thanks for info. I watched a video from a guy that said he got 700 miles on a tank! He showed receipts and said his fill up took over the listed tank capacity, like 14.3 gallons! The amazing part was he said about half was from highway use?

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my Hybrids i get 37-39 MPG consistently while driving 225 miles/day 90% highway at avg speed of 75 MPH. Those numbers are hand calculated and a combined total miles of 14000 miles!
If you're getting 37-39MPG driving an ave speed of 75mph, that's great and count your blessings.

Sponsored

MojoJojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XLT
If you're getting 37-39MPG driving an ave speed of 75mph, that's great and count your blessings.
Ikr. I dont want to sound a fan boy but everyday i get amazed at how good this truck is and how efficient it is.

Now i have had cars that did better MPG's than the Mav (Prius & insight) both in town and on highway. What separates the Mav from them is that this is a truck and not as aerodynamic as those 2 sedans and still do close 40mpg highway at reasonable speeds is fantastic to me at least.

🤞For not jinxing anything on my Mav's. 😇

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ikr. I dont want to sound a fan boy but everyday i get amazed at how good this truck is and how efficient it is.

Now i have had cars that did better MPG's than the Mav (Prius & insight) both in town and on highway. What separates the Mav from them is that this is a truck and not as aerodynamic as those 2 sedans and still do close 40mpg highway at reasonable speeds is fantastic to me at least.

Yes! I have a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid that consistently gets 60-70MPG. I don't expect the Mav to equal those numbers; it does not have the sleek aerodynamic profile. That said, I am very pleased with the 44-49MPG it has been getting since February. BTW, I had a 2010 Insight hybrid and the Mav is easily equaling that car's MPG numbers.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Got my Maverick Lariat Hybrid in February and now have just under 10,000 miles.
Average MPG is 41.9
I’m thrilled!
No issue with the truck, I just wished it would stay on ECO mode. Every time I shut down it goes off. Otherwise it’s perfect. I love the adaptive cruise control. Just went on a 1400 mile trip and rarely used the pedals on the highway.

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2014 C-Max has always returned better fuel economy without the cruise control. It seems to go int EV much less with the cruise on.
Same with my F-150 hybrid

Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had a 2011 Fiesta hatchback and that got hybrid-like gas mileage on the highway. The Fiesta had a nice ride quality for a sub-compact car.

Ford Maverick MPG stats from 12 days 2804 mile vacation trip in my Maverick Hybrid XLT wehle 017.JPG

Ford Maverick MPG stats from 12 days 2804 mile vacation trip in my Maverick Hybrid XLT gasmiles

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I drive primarily in ECO mode. The speed limits shown are what is posted on the highways. I usually go 2-3 MPH over those limits.

Fueling Fillups:

about 93 miles driving around in Saint Louis before heading to Iowa and a lot was on electric only mode

Stayed with my Sister on the Lakefront so Maverick was parked there for three days
Then departed for Memphis TN but filled up in Tuscola IL - 6/12 11.356 Gallons @ $5.149/G

I used Slippery Mode on the start of the leg from Chicago to Memphis as it was raining pretty good for about 150 miles otherwise I was in ECO mode.

This leg got the worst MPG because the AC was on constantly because temps were in the high 90's and speeds were 78 MPH. Also as mentioned below by s.ober I did have considerable head winds on this leg.

#7: Around Memphis TN then filled up in Texarkana TX - 6/14 10.906 Gallons @ $4.499/G

As seen above lower speeds and outside temperatures can help the Hybrid Maverick get some very good MPG numbers. I love that I got 36 MPG over the entire 2804 miles.

I have the base XLT (no lux) and the seats were very comfortable. In fact they were super comfortable compared to my previous 2015 Honda Fit and the wife's 2009 Honda CR-V.

This is the best representation of the MPG I've seen posted. THIS is real world highway, not the shorter, lots of battery only, miles most Hybrid owners like to brag about. Thanks for laying this out so well. I have finally been vindicated of all the negative and rude comments regarding my contention that the EcoBoost will come very close the the Hybrid on long trips and predominantly highway driving. This is still great mileage, but my approximately 34 MPG on a 200+ mile trip is still very close to what the hybrid will do. Considering I average over 70 MPH and usually set my cruise at 75 MPH, I think I could equal this at the speeds you listed.

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I drive primarily in ECO mode. The speed limits shown are what is posted on the highways. I usually go 2-3 MPH over those limits.

Fueling Fillups:

I used Slippery Mode on the start of the leg from Chicago to Memphis as it was raining pretty good for about 150 miles otherwise I was in ECO mode.

Thanks for taking the time to share this Mav MPG experience. I have not taken any trips at predominantly hwy/interstate speeds. When I do, I can use your results as a comparative "worst-case" baseline. When I say "worse-case," don't take it personally. It's just that I never drive at the speeds you do, so I would expect to get better MPG than your numbers.

One thing that's clear about gas mileage with the Mav (and other hybrids I have owned) and that is that Mother Nature has her impact. Topography (climbing up hills/mountains) and weather (headwinds, heavy rains, and ambient air temp) have a substantial effect on MPG..

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Comparing the fuel mileage of the Maverick with something like an Insight or Fiesta is like comparing apples to watermelons... A better comparison would be to my wife's Impala. The two vehicles are within an inch in overall length, fractions of an inch in cabin width, combined seating height (leg+head room), and pretty darn close in internal volume. Of course, the Maverick has the larger "trunk" by a wide margin (though the Impala's is huge for a sedan).

I've looked at pretty much every hybrid on the market under $50K, and without fail, all of them feel "cramped" to me. Mostly it's the lack of hip and shoulder room. Everyone in my family is broad-shouldered, and my Prius C is absolutely miserable after about 15 minutes with two of us in there...

After test driving the Maverick, I'd say the interior room is quite comparable, though the Maverick is a more "upright" seating position (which frankly is better for my back on longer drives). The ability to carry three grandkids in the back is fantastic. The ride isn't quite as nice as the Impala (few vehicles are), but it's WAY better than the C-2500 Diesel HD we used to own. (And we can get in without needing climbing gear!)

We've owned and loved the Impala since new (late 2013 purchase), and over the vehicle's life we've averaged 22 mpg combined. The EB absolutely slays that number, and the Hybrid comes very close to doubling it. I can't wait to get my hybrid!

Poizon_iv_19

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Huunbuvu------ are you in Normal mode most of the time?
I have put about 800 miles on my XLT hybrid and mostly on 2-lane roads, so I probably am at 60mph most of the time, but I have a cumulative 43.1 reading so far. AC on all the time. I use ECO mode most of the time, though.
Thank you for posting this --- wife and I are taking a 2-3 week road trip in July in the Mav, heading out west, and north (CO, UT, WY ND MT MN WI back through the UP to southern Michigan where we live). I figure it will be about 5000 miles, give or take.
Of course I will share my results and findings, if anyone wants to hear about them.
Hoping we don't need to use our AAA membership!!
Maybe make sure you take battery jump starter for peace of mind. :). my 17 year old son chose maverick hybrid for his one and only vehicle through the end of college and we bought an eco boost while we wait for the hybrid to come in. He loves the eco boost xl but is looking forward to the gas mileage on the hybrid Xlt lux 360 bells and whistles lol. I definitely jumped online a bought a battery pack for the glove box for that hybrid because I am a worry wart 😸🙀😸. We have AAA but on a trip you wouldn’t want to be stuck calling them for a jumpstart EVERY time you have to stop anywhere and turn off the truck. Or leave your truck at a far flung dealership for however long it would take to fix that battery cable issue that has been seemingly randomly popping up. Just an overprotective momma’s two cents. Good luck and have fun!
Sponsored