First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to do this until someone pulled into a parking spot in a parking lot and hit my tow hitch.
Ouch! I store my tow hitches on the left most rack in the back corner of the garage. I've never been surprised and needed to tow something out of the blue without advanced notice, so see no need to carry extra stuff around 24x7.
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never driven a truck AWD that didn't ride harsher. Just saying.
The difference is the Maverick AWD has 4 wheel independent suspension. A few years ago only sports cars had 4 wheel independent suspension.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The difference is the Maverick AWD has 4 wheel independent suspension. A few years ago only sports cars had 4 wheel independent suspension.
But is it also possible that the AWD, since it is designed to be a "truck", have stiffer springs and higher pressure struts, compared to a front wheel drive. Just wondering.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few years ago only sports cars had 4 wheel independent suspension.
Define "few" :LOL:

I've owned 2 cars with torsion beams - a Kia Soul and Toyota Corolla. The rest have all had independent rear suspension setups, all the way back to my 1993 Accord. None of these were sports cars. LOL

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Silly comment.

We're not talking about AWD vs FWD, we're talking about the fact that AWD happens to be paired with a much better (and expensive) rear suspension design on the Maverick.

Most trucks have the same rear suspension whether AWD or not, the Maverick is an exception. I never thought the day would come where people argued that multilink suspensions weren't better than a simple torsion beam.
But is it also possible that the AWD, since it is designed to be a "truck", have stiffer springs and higher pressure struts, compared to a front wheel drive. Just wondering.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD Mavs have a totally different suspension design, its part of the reason the AWD upgrade is so much more expensive than on other vehicles.

FWD Mavs get a twist beam aka torsion beam rear suspension, which is less expensive and nice and compact, but over certain rougher terrain is more easily upset.

AWD vehicles get a multilink suspension which has the disadvantage of taking up more space and being more expensive, but can control the rear better.

For casual driving on smooth streets, you wouldn't notice a difference between the two, but overall the multilink independent rear that AWD Mavs including the FX4 have is considered more advanced and fancy.

Here's a little physics simulator program comparing the two designs on otherwise identical vehicles:
You are correct about the relative differences in suspension systems. The way Ford tunes the torsion beam may bring the performance results a little closer. Where you nailed it was your comment on tires, they can make a huge difference.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD and AWD have the same payload and tow rating (w/o 4K tow package anyway), so I'd wager they are about the same. FX4 package has the same springs as far as I know, and they only advertise swapping in monotube shocks.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...22-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't always agree with JASmith on things but he is 100% spot on. There isn't anything wrong with rear torsion beam and it is not a knock towards the hybrid or FWD ecoboost models. It is just a cost-effective way of doing things. Of course, it also utilizes force vectoring springs in the rear like the Focus ST and Transit Connect, which is a neat piece of engineering.

I used to do this until someone pulled into a parking spot in a parking lot and hit my tow hitch. It caused ripples the C-pillars of my Subaru Legacy. I'd rather have someone hit the bumper than transfer all that energy right to the body of the vehicle. Plus I'd always somehow bust my damn shins on the damn thing.

Just to clarify what you said, every modern truck except the Ridgeline has a solid rear axle.
Yeah. I've hit tow hitches when parallel parking. They're impossible to see and BAM you hit them when it looks like you have a few more inches to squeeze into a space.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Silly comment.

We're not talking about AWD vs FWD, we're talking about the fact that AWD happens to be paired with a much better (and expensive) rear suspension design on the Maverick.

Most trucks have the same rear suspension whether AWD or not, the Maverick is an exception. I never thought the day would come where people argued that multilink suspensions weren't better than a simple torsion beam.
See "Champ"s Post, you may need to rethink everything. https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-ford-maverick-truck-force-vectoring-springs/

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Your tire type and air pressures will effect your ride and braking and also which differential used will also affect acceleration, not to mention instant HP electric motor, and regenerative braking is another factor. But NADA on specifics from this reviewer but feeding speculation. I don't think the old Mustang's handling is better than the IRS one is now. Move along to another reviewer who isn't writing as if for his college's paper and actually has a car.

Last edited:
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you search my post history, we've discussed this months ago. The short and sweet of it is that its neat but not that fancy. Its basically a progressive spring that helps redirect a bit of force laterally too, which allows Ford to save money and weight on the traditional reinforcements that are on a torsion beam. Basically, its another cost cutting trick, but its not going to make a torsion beam as good or superior to an actual multi-link IRS, which is why Ford offers the true IRS as an upgrade.

No one that got the free FWD to AWD upgrade when they limited the 4K package is going to feel sorry for themselves that they no longer have a simple twist-beam out back, I promise you.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you search my post history, we've discussed this months ago. The short and sweet of it is that its neat but not that fancy. Its basically a progressive spring that helps redirect a bit of force laterally too, which allows Ford to save money and weight on the traditional reinforcements that are on a torsion beam. Basically, its another cost cutting trick, but its not going to make a torsion beam as good or superior to an actual multi-link IRS, which is why Ford offers the true IRS as an upgrade.

No one that got the free FWD to AWD upgrade when they limited the 4K package is going to feel sorry for themselves that they no longer have a simple twist-beam out back, I promise you.
You kill me! Just can't admit it is a proven and excellent way to go. I'm done.

Tourguide

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was never going to buy this truck without the hybrid powertrain, even if it had some downsides as most hybrids do. That Ford has apparently nailed it is just icing on the cake. Sounds like it will be worth the wait.
Thanks for the positive outlook, I feel the same. Rapid Red First Edition Lariat Hybrid

KGillies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid, Rav4 Prime
I was never going to buy this truck without the hybrid powertrain, even if it had some downsides as most hybrids do. That Ford has apparently nailed it is just icing on the cake. Sounds like it will be worth the wait.
Agreed, other than hybrids per se are not necessarily a downside. Our main drive is a plug in hybrid that's fast, comfortable, fun, and has only used 4 fillups in over 5000 miles. No downside there, and I didn't expect the Mav to have any in terms of powertrain. But that Ford nailed the suspension is a major coup, as I've blown out many suspensions in small trucks over the last 40 years. I'm glad I ordered mine on the first day, and IMO these will go UP in value. But I'm hanging on to mine until it's all over (he says after owning 40-50 vehicles), and they can bury me in it. So waiting an extra couple of months to get it? No sweat.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed, other than hybrids per se are not necessarily a downside. Our main drive is a plug in hybrid that's fast, comfortable, fun, and has only used 4 fillups in over 5000 miles. No downside there, and I didn't expect the Mav to have any in terms of powertrain. But that Ford nailed the suspension is a major coup, as I've blown out many suspensions in small trucks over the last 40 years. I'm glad I ordered mine on the first day, and IMO these will go UP in value. But I'm hanging on to mine until it's all over (he says after owning 40-50 vehicles), and they can bury me in it. So waiting an extra couple of months to get it? No sweat.
Your other hybrid is the gold standard, IMO.

What I meant was more along the lines of the Prius.. great car, great MPG, extremely slow. Nice to see that the Maverick is still reasonably quick. A plug-in version will be awesome. If that comes out in a couple of years, I'll be upgrading.
Sponsored