2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Motor Trend "2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid First Test: Thrifty, Awesome Fun"

Read Full Review At: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-compact-truck-first-test-review/

"More important, despite lacking the traction advantages of all-wheel drive, it was only 0.6 second behind the much more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged Maverick FX4 we also tested. It braked better than its non-hybrid counterpart, too, managing to stop from 60 mph in 119 feet."

"Body control isn't something pickups are known for, but the Maverick Hybrid shows a poise and sharpness that, frankly, raises the bar. Every turn of the wheel results in a deft, fluid weight transfer, with the truck settling down instantly. The damping is superb, with the Maverick Hybrid soaking up both large bumps and sharp, short-frequency ones with equal grace. Body roll is minimal, as is jostling of the occupants. It still feels like a truck, just a truck with superbly tuned suspension. And, it should be mentioned, our non-hybrid Maverick (an FX4 AWD) rode and handled well, but didn't quite have the final ride quality special sauce of the Hybrid."
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Motor Trend "2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid First Test: Thrifty, Awesome Fun"

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-compact-truck-first-test-review/

"More important, despite lacking the traction advantages of all-wheel drive, it was only 0.6 second behind the much more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged Maverick FX4 we also tested. It braked better than its non-hybrid counterpart, too, managing to stop from 60 mph in 119 feet."

"Body control isn't something pickups are known for, but the Maverick Hybrid shows a poise and sharpness that, frankly, raises the bar. Every turn of the wheel results in a deft, fluid weight transfer, with the truck settling down instantly. The damping is superb, with the Maverick Hybrid soaking up both large bumps and sharp, short-frequency ones with equal grace. Body roll is minimal, as is jostling of the occupants. It still feels like a truck, just a truck with superbly tuned suspension. And, it should be mentioned, our non-hybrid Maverick (an FX4 AWD) rode and handled well, but didn't quite have the final ride quality special sauce of the Hybrid."
If Randy Pobst wasn't involved, then it's not a real review.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When was this written? Since the EPA # was just released

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When was this written? Since the EPA # was just released
Oct 21st, today.

The hybrid has an inferior suspension to the AWD FX4, but tires can make a huge difference in road comfort, and whatever they were running on the FX4 might have made the difference. Didn't say which of the two FX4 tire options they tested, but the more offroady tires can be louder and harsher in general.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThisWas

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The article was published today, October 21. I assume that the just-released EPA numbers were a last-minute update.

I'm interested in Alex's comments about the hybrid's handling compared to the AWD EcoBoost FX4. I wonder if the hybrid is better balanced, since the 12V battery is moved under the rear seat and the big hybrid battery is under the floor.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was never going to buy this truck without the hybrid powertrain, even if it had some downsides as most hybrids do. That Ford has apparently nailed it is just icing on the cake. Sounds like it will be worth the wait.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Liking the Hybrid I am getting even more now:

Quotes:

But for a 3,694-pound pickup with a hybrid powertrain, its 0-60 mph time of 7.6 seconds is more than adequate, putting it right on par with your average modern crossover SUV or compact car. And subjectively, every editor that drove this little truck remarked on its surprisingly strong, linear power delivery

it was only 0.6 second behind the much more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged Maverick FX4 we also tested. It braked better than its non-hybrid counterpart, too, managing to stop from 60 mph in 119 feet.

the Maverick Hybrid shows a poise and sharpness that, frankly, raises the bar. Every turn of the wheel results in a deft, fluid weight transfer, with the truck settling down instantly. The damping is superb, with the Maverick Hybrid soaking up both large bumps and sharp, short-frequency ones with equal grace. Body roll is minimal, as is jostling of the occupants. It still feels like a truck, just a truck with superbly tuned suspension

So, the plucky Maverick Hybrid can do truck stuff. It looks like a truck—certainly more so than the attractive but less conventional Hyundai Santa Cruz—and is really great to drive and use thanks to its thoughtful design, smart interior, and fantastic road manners. We feared that, perhaps, the "base" powertrain would be a drag, but in fact the smooth power delivery and EPA (and observed) fuel economy numbers are hugely impressive. The Maverick Hybrid isn't a so-so version of an affordable truck—it might be the one to get, full stop.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Liking the Hybrid I am getting even more now:

Quotes:

But for a 3,694-pound pickup with a hybrid powertrain, its 0-60 mph time of 7.6 seconds is more than adequate, putting it right on par with your average modern crossover SUV or compact car. And subjectively, every editor that drove this little truck remarked on its surprisingly strong, linear power delivery

it was only 0.6 second behind the much more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged Maverick FX4 we also tested. It braked better than its non-hybrid counterpart, too, managing to stop from 60 mph in 119 feet.

the Maverick Hybrid shows a poise and sharpness that, frankly, raises the bar. Every turn of the wheel results in a deft, fluid weight transfer, with the truck settling down instantly. The damping is superb, with the Maverick Hybrid soaking up both large bumps and sharp, short-frequency ones with equal grace. Body roll is minimal, as is jostling of the occupants. It still feels like a truck, just a truck with superbly tuned suspension

So, the plucky Maverick Hybrid can do truck stuff. It looks like a truck—certainly more so than the attractive but less conventional Hyundai Santa Cruz—and is really great to drive and use thanks to its thoughtful design, smart interior, and fantastic road manners. We feared that, perhaps, the "base" powertrain would be a drag, but in fact the smooth power delivery and EPA (and observed) fuel economy numbers are hugely impressive. The Maverick Hybrid isn't a so-so version of an affordable truck—it might be the one to get, full stop.

As the old saying goes: Good things come to those who wait.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The article was published today, October 21. I assume that the just-released EPA numbers were a last-minute update.

I'm interested in Alex's comments about the hybrid's handling compared to the AWD EcoBoost FX4. I wonder if the hybrid is better balanced, since the 12V battery is moved under the rear seat and the big hybrid battery is under the floor.
The 12V battery doesn't weigh all that much, and the lithium battery is only a 1.1kwh unit, super tiny. To put that in perspective, Teslas run with batteries not two times or four times bigger but 100x bigger. FX4 has a big axle nice low on the vehicle and a rear differential and bigger multilink rear suspension, and total curb weights are about the same. I would wager f/r weight balance are similar.

If I were building a sport truck, I'd probably go with a XL AWD ecoboost w/ 4K tow package, and put on some nice light wheels and max performance summer tires. I'm more looking for something chill for errands and commuting though, so hybrid is no-brainer for me.

RM83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No video, no care.

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm questioning the 7 second time on the EB that Motor Trend mentioned. All other reviews (10/05 and newer) suggest low-to-mid 6's. Maybe they had the EB in Econ mode during testing.

I ordered a 2.0 EB AWD FX4 4k. I still prefer gas and a "normal" tranny, but I gotta say, the M-T hybrid review makes me think that I just might have a hybrid in my future. Never could have said that before reading the M-T review today.

Congrats to all the MTC hybrid order holders on a wise choice. Lots of people will be "green" with envy.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on this review, I might just have to name my Maverick "Saucy."
Sponsored