Dandylion

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Fit, 2007 Chev Silverado
Motor Trend "2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid First Test: Thrifty, Awesome Fun"

Read Full Review At: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-compact-truck-first-test-review/

"More important, despite lacking the traction advantages of all-wheel drive, it was only 0.6 second behind the much more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged Maverick FX4 we also tested. It braked better than its non-hybrid counterpart, too, managing to stop from 60 mph in 119 feet."

"Body control isn't something pickups are known for, but the Maverick Hybrid shows a poise and sharpness that, frankly, raises the bar. Every turn of the wheel results in a deft, fluid weight transfer, with the truck settling down instantly. The damping is superb, with the Maverick Hybrid soaking up both large bumps and sharp, short-frequency ones with equal grace. Body roll is minimal, as is jostling of the occupants. It still feels like a truck, just a truck with superbly tuned suspension. And, it should be mentioned, our non-hybrid Maverick (an FX4 AWD) rode and handled well, but didn't quite have the final ride quality special sauce of the Hybrid."
Great article! Thanks!
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oct 21st, today.

The hybrid has an inferior suspension to the AWD FX4, but tires can make a huge difference in road comfort, and whatever they were running on the FX4 might have made the difference. Didn't say which of the two FX4 tire options they tested, but the more offroady tires can be louder and harsher in general.
Why is the hybrid suspension inferior. Is it simply due to the fact that it is tuned more closely to an SUV?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why is the hybrid suspension inferior. Is it simply due to the fact that it is tuned more closely to an SUV?
AWD Mavs have a totally different suspension design, its part of the reason the AWD upgrade is so much more expensive than on other vehicles.

FWD Mavs get a twist beam aka torsion beam rear suspension, which is less expensive and nice and compact, but over certain rougher terrain is more easily upset.

AWD vehicles get a multilink suspension which has the disadvantage of taking up more space and being more expensive, but can control the rear better.

For casual driving on smooth streets, you wouldn't notice a difference between the two, but overall the multilink independent rear that AWD Mavs including the FX4 have is considered more advanced and fancy.

Here's a little physics simulator program comparing the two designs on otherwise identical vehicles:

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm glad to hear the twist beam in this truck, isn't as bad as I've experienced in my Veloster turbo.
Or that's atleast what I'm hoping.

That's one of the nitpicks I've had with the FWD Mav.
On a choppy road, you'll definitely feel the difference between the two suspensions. My Veloster had rear end hop, that damn near killed me!

Independent rear suspension IME normally gives the more planted feel. If I lived up north and drove on those badly snow plowed roads. Which are rough without snow on them.

I would definitely spend the extra and opted for the independent suspension. Regardless of what this review says. I almost changed my order, when I realized the Mav had that twist beam in the rear.

Sorry, I'll take those performance comparisons with a grain of salt. 😆

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Am I the only onwnwho caught this guy thinks under the rear seat is the best place to stow the tow hitch? I dont know about yall, but I tend to stow mine in the actual receiver!

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD Mavs have a totally different suspension design, its part of the reason the AWD upgrade is so much more expensive than on other vehicles.

FWD Mavs get a twist beam aka torsion beam rear suspension, which is less expensive and nice and compact, but over certain rougher terrain is more easily upset.

AWD vehicles get a multilink suspension which has the disadvantage of taking up more space and being more expensive, but can control the rear better.

For casual driving on smooth streets, you wouldn't notice a difference between the two, but overall the multilink independent rear that AWD Mavs including the FX4 have is considered more advanced and fancy.
Johny's car care & reviews: Really Liked the Hybrid's Suspension

The Ford Maverick test drive review can finally be shared with you all. Let's cover everything on how driving HARD the Ford Maverick was. WE HIT THE BENDIES HARD IN THIS VIDEO. Together let us cover handling, suspension, braking, acceleration, comfort, exhaust and engine noise, road noise and feel over severe 3 inch drop simulated holes in the road and so much more.

Video queued to Suspension Talk

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review-and it gives me hope.
BUT I want to see what the TFL guys say after living with one for a week.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Here's a little physics simulator program comparing the two designs on otherwise identical vehicles:
Which makes the AWD a rougher ride. Keep it. I want a SUV ride, don't need off road capabilities.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which makes the AWD a rougher ride. Keep it. I want a SUV ride, don't need off road capabilities.
The opposite, the torsion beam is the rougher ride, all else equal. That's why I was saying if the reviewer wasn't just flat wrong (wouldn't be the first time) it could be a matter of tire selection, as that can play a huge role especially if you compare a dedicated street tire to an offroad tire. Basically, if you take away nothing else just remember "torsion beam is inferior but cheap, multilink is superior but expensive". I guess I didn't explain myself well, so here's Car's Guide:

Multi-link

Multi-link and dual wishbone systems are the holy grail of suspension designs, allowing engineers to achieve agile handling without compromising ride quality.

Both multi-link and dual-wishbone setups offer true independence and unparalleled control, with the multi-link system edging ahead of the double-wishbone choice by offering greater adjustability.

Of course, nothing comes for free. Multi-link and double-wishbone independent setups are the most expensive and complex, as well as taking up more space than the simpler and slighter torsion beam.

Finding dual wishbone or multi-link suspension in your prospective new car usually means heading to the more premium end of the hatchback, wagon and sedan markets. It also means being pretty selective in the SUV and light commercial segments.

Torsion beam

So, that brings us, at last, to the torsion bar, also known as the twist beam, torsion beam, or any other variation on that theme. And it really is as simple, and ingenious, as that; a bar connecting both wheels that twists ever so slightly under duress, in order to give a degree of independence to each wheel's movements.

Under lateral (side-to-side) force, however, the torsion beam remains rigid, to resist body roll, which lets you corner with confidence. Simple, solid, sorted.

Torsion bars take up less vertical space than MacPherson strut setups and less horizontal space than double wishbone and multi-link systems, netting more room for humans in the cabin and their stuff in the boot.

Torsion-beam setups are relatively cheap and easy to manufacture, install and maintain, but they don't offer the engineer anywhere near the same amount of freedom to balance comfort, agility and stability as independent systems do.

Because torsion bars offer less isolation than independent systems, they can also allow more noise, vibration and harshness to filter into the cabin.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't wait to get mine. Probably still at least 5 months away...

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Johny's car care & reviews: Really Liked the Hybrid's Suspension
If you check his channel, he seems to just focus on Ford products, so he may own a Ford dealership since that invite he went to was a Ford sponsored awareness campaign for dealerships, not the regular press. I'm sure the FWD setups are adequate, that's the only one I'm interested in because of the price and limitation if you want the hybrid which I do, but if someone tells you that its a superior setup to the AWD truly independent suspension Ford offers, frankly, they don't know what they are talking about.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The opposite, the torsion beam is the rougher ride, all else equal. That's why I was saying if the reviewer wasn't just flat wrong (wouldn't be the first time) it could be a matter of tire selection, as that can play a huge role especially if you compare a dedicated street tire to an offroad tire. Basically, if you take away nothing else just remember "torsion beam is inferior but cheap, multilink is superior but expensive". I guess I didn't explain myself well, so here's Car's Guide:

Multi-link

Multi-link and dual wishbone systems are the holy grail of suspension designs, allowing engineers to achieve agile handling without compromising ride quality.

Both multi-link and dual-wishbone setups offer true independence and unparalleled control, with the multi-link system edging ahead of the double-wishbone choice by offering greater adjustability.

Of course, nothing comes for free. Multi-link and double-wishbone independent setups are the most expensive and complex, as well as taking up more space than the simpler and slighter torsion beam.

Finding dual wishbone or multi-link suspension in your prospective new car usually means heading to the more premium end of the hatchback, wagon and sedan markets. It also means being pretty selective in the SUV and light commercial segments.

Torsion beam

So, that brings us, at last, to the torsion bar, also known as the twist beam, torsion beam, or any other variation on that theme. And it really is as simple, and ingenious, as that; a bar connecting both wheels that twists ever so slightly under duress, in order to give a degree of independence to each wheel's movements.

Under lateral (side-to-side) force, however, the torsion beam remains rigid, to resist body roll, which lets you corner with confidence. Simple, solid, sorted.

Torsion bars take up less vertical space than MacPherson strut setups and less horizontal space than double wishbone and multi-link systems, netting more room for humans in the cabin and their stuff in the boot.

Torsion-beam setups are relatively cheap and easy to manufacture, install and maintain, but they don't offer the engineer anywhere near the same amount of freedom to balance comfort, agility and stability as independent systems do.

Because torsion bars offer less isolation than independent systems, they can also allow more noise, vibration and harshness to filter into the cabin.
I've never driven a truck AWD that didn't ride harsher. Just saying.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget the spring setup is unique for the Hybrid rear suspension, Motor Trend has an article about just that. Apparently it is the same setup used in the 2019 Fiesta ST (Europe).

2022 Ford Maverick’s Force-Vectoring Springs Come From a Sensational Hot Hatch
The FWD model’s patented coil springs draw from the vaunted Fiesta ST.

A multilink rear suspension is the gold standard for ride and handling; a solid beam axle is the ticket for max payload and trailering. The front-drive hybrid version of the 2022 Ford Maverick uses neither, but its rear suspension design threads a needle between these concepts with a trailing twist beam that leverages Ford's patented "Force Vectoring Spring" design that first appeared on the very excellent Euro-market 2019 Ford Fiesta ST.

Ford Maverick Motor Trend Maverick Hybrid First Test Review: Thrifty, Awesome Fun 2022-Ford-Maverick-Force-Vectoring-Springs

What Is A "Force Vectoring Spring"?
This special riff on the coil spring uses cold-formed steel that's directionally wound (the right and left rear springs are not interchangeable) with the pitch and diameter of the coils varying throughout the springs' length. The critical difference you'll note in the photo is that the top and bottom coil look angled when the springs are uncompressed. Once installed with body weight on them, they look like normal springs, though the lower spring perches angle slightly up and inward on each side to accommodate the design.

Ford Maverick Motor Trend Maverick Hybrid First Test Review: Thrifty, Awesome Fun 2022-Ford-Maverick-Force-Vectoring-Spring-1

What Does Force Vectoring Do For Handling?
As the 2022 Ford Maverick bends into a turn, compressing the outside rear wheel, those sharp angles allow the spring to directly absorb some of the lateral cornering force. In effect, the springs themselves vector some cornering forces laterally into the frame. This adds a degree of roll control without stiffening the bushings, the springs themselves, or the torsion bar in the trailing twist beam—any of which would have a negative effect on ride quality.

Are There Other Benefits?
Another common way to bolster lateral stiffness is by using a Watt's linkage. In the case of the Fiesta ST, that solution would have added 22 pounds. Scaling everything up for truck duty, you can rest assured the weight penalty would have been even greater on the Maverick. The trailing twist beam itself features a rear-facing open C-channel section into which a torsion bar gets welded, which allows Ford to easily vary the roll control for different models and packages by simply varying the diameter of that bar. The low-mounted beam helps enable the low cargo box floor height, even while kicking up to permit the exhaust to run underneath, but it cannot accommodate AWD.

Ford Maverick Motor Trend Maverick Hybrid First Test Review: Thrifty, Awesome Fun 2022-Ford-Maverick-Force-Vectoring-Spring-2

Where Else Are Force Vectoring Springs Used?
Drivers of Ford's workaday Transit Connect also enjoy the ride/handling benefits of these "Force Vectoring Springs." From hot hatches to delivery vans, to pickup trucks—that's a pretty broad portfolio for this clever concept.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never driven a truck AWD that didn't ride harsher. Just saying.
Silly comment.

We're not talking about AWD vs FWD, we're talking about the fact that AWD happens to be paired with a much better (and expensive) rear suspension design on the Maverick.

Most trucks have the same rear suspension whether AWD or not, the Maverick is an exception. I never thought the day would come where people argued that multilink suspensions weren't better than a simple torsion beam.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I don't always agree with JASmith on things but he is 100% spot on. There isn't anything wrong with rear torsion beam and it is not a knock towards the hybrid or FWD ecoboost models. It is just a cost-effective way of doing things. Of course, it also utilizes force vectoring springs in the rear like the Focus ST and Transit Connect, which is a neat piece of engineering.

Am I the only onwnwho caught this guy thinks under the rear seat is the best place to stow the tow hitch? I dont know about yall, but I tend to stow mine in the actual receiver!
I used to do this until someone pulled into a parking spot in a parking lot and hit my tow hitch. It caused ripples the C-pillars of my Subaru Legacy. I'd rather have someone hit the bumper than transfer all that energy right to the body of the vehicle. Plus I'd always somehow bust my damn shins on the damn thing.

Silly comment.

We're not talking about AWD vs FWD, we're talking about the fact that AWD happens to be paired with a much better (and expensive) rear suspension design on the Maverick.

Most trucks have the same rear suspension whether AWD or not, the Maverick is an exception. I never thought the day would come where people argued that multilink suspensions weren't better than a simple torsion beam.
Just to clarify what you said, every modern truck except the Ridgeline has a solid rear axle.
Sponsored

Last edited: