Sponsored

Motor Biscuit's 3 Reason To NOT Buy a Maverick....What Do You Think?

ZachSD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Canyon 3.5L (159k)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Article's 3 points:

1. Innovative but small bed
2. Towing capacity isnt on par with other trucks
3. Overall a basic pickup

Opinionative and non-deal breakers for the majority. The author is nitpicking.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My response to the article:

1. I can carry bikes just fineā€”including a HUGE 29er mountain tandem.

2. It pulls my sailboat very easily.

3. Basic is good. I donā€™t want or need anything more, so Iā€™m glad that Ford isnā€™t forcing me to buy it.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Article's 3 points:

Opinionative and non-deal breakers for the majority. The author is nitpicking.
Basically: if you want an F-150, don't buy a Maverick, buy an F-150! Such a helpful article lol

CMOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte5
My response to the article:

3. Basic is good. I donā€™t want or need anything more, so Iā€™m glad that Ford isnā€™t forcing me to buy it.

#3 is a biggie. So many vehicles have all kinds of features and capabilities that I just don't need, but they all have them, and the cost reflects that.

The Maverick is going to be a trailblazer due to its pricepoint.

CMOS

Sponsored

22Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I donā€™t have my Mav yet but I feel the need to defend its honor like I would my Wife, is that weird?

1)A small bed - Itā€™s not the size but how you use itā€¦ā€¦I think Iā€™ve heard that. For real, yes their will be times it would be convenient for it to be full sized but nothing a 5x8 $1,000 trailer canā€™t fix and youā€™re still saving 10k vs a larger truck.
2) Towing - If you want to tow your 10,000lb camper, the maverick wonā€™t be your vehicle of choice for 14 days of 365.
3) Basic - Is that actually a complaint?

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dumb article is dumb.

Basic in comparison to what exactly? Dual touch screens, android auto standard, air conditioning(!), auto climate control, remote access/start via app. My 99 Honda civic with AM/FM, stick and air (from the outside...) would like a word with this idiot.

FDT93

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra, Tucson, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti
Basically, if you don't want a small truck and don't mind spending a lot more money, then don't buy a Maverick.
If you don't need a bigger truck and don't want to put down a second mortgage for a vehicle, then get the Maverick.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every buyer/owner here knew these things going in. In facts, these are some of the exact reasons we bought this truck to begin with. We didn't want a huge expensive truck. The writer is goofy.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was a brilliant and successful clickbait article because you clicked it. I won't repeat your mistake. Motor1 and MotorBiscuit and many other sites are known clickbait factories.

Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/3-reasons-never-buy-ford-maverick

Curious on MTC's thoughts on this article. For me none of the downsides were downsides, just "limitations" that a traditional truck wouldn't have given their higher price and larger footprint.
Compared to Ranger xl its a work truck no options the lariat model is 41k with no sunroof and shipping and taxes you up to 45k that's a lot of money for me, I wanted to spend 35 for my last vehicle maybe. My XLT loaded maverick came in at 34k with everything included, is it a ranger NO, I had a ranger years ago and loved it it was a little beast. My mav will go to the supermarket fine and weekend trips and will handle dirt roads and light off road with the fx4. It has as much room inside as the ranger, it can tow 4k has the trailer brake ranger don't have. I will do everything I need for a great price, and I think that 250hp will blow the doors off that ranger 270hp, I am going to miss that shifter handle also going to miss the push button start and never having to take my keys out of my pocket, but am tough I will survive.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's funny but obviously if someone needs the things mentioned they are not looking at the maverick anyway.

Personally as far as the basic thing..... I tend to prefer it that way, but I do wish at least the bigger screens etc were an option on the lower trims (in general, not specifically the maverick)

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Article is stupid. The only part he may have right is the "typical truck driver" part. I've known many full-size truck owners that have never hauled or towed anything. They self-admittingly confess to "just like driving a truck". For some of the rest of us who have owned, used, and abused both large and small trucks, the Maverick is meeting our current needs just fine.
I can tow with my hybrid, I just have to be mindful of its limits. I've dealt with similar limits on compact SUVs without issue. The bed's dimensions are perfect for most of my needs, the rare times I need more capacity I'll grab the utility trailer. The bed height and reach-over is far more useful than the Colorado's bed it replaced. Too high for practical use. There was a time when all truck's beds at a more useful height.
The engineered utility features of the bed actually do make up some for the available volume. There are enough slots, tiedowns, and hardpoints to fabricate a custom solution for that mountain bike he mentioned. Beats slinging it over a high bed and having it sliding around loose in an oversized bed side rather that the Mavrick's right-sized bed.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The maverick with 4k package tows more than what they say it does I pulled a dump trailer loaded with a cord and a half of wood the other day (cord of wood is between 2000 and 3000 so anywhere from 3000 to 4500 in just wood) estimate was about 5.5k since it was oak and a big dump trailer and my maverick didn't have a problem with it. As far a basic I don't have leather air ride massaging seat but my truck is comfortable enough for my regular 5-6 hours of driving at a time for work. And as for the bed being small if it's a huge problem they sell a bed extender but I don't use it and seldom do I need to haul something over 9-10ft long and when I do I just strap it and flag it

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Not sure what's wrong with any of these points.
  1. Innovative but small bed - Small price to pay for the much smaller footprint. The bed is only 6" shorter than most mid-size pickups.
  2. Towing capacity isnt on par with other trucks - Small price to pay for doubling fuel economy.
  3. Overall a basic pickup - Small price to pay for something that costs $5K less than anything else with a bed and tailgate.
Sponsored